Gibson Brands Forums

I've fallen in love with a J-185 EC...

edonovanl

I've never owned a Gibson, I admit it! I've had Taylors, Martins, Fenders, and a Japanese-made Aria knock-off of the S-200. But I just played a J-185 and have been jones'n for it since!

So now my problem is that my dealer only has an '08 build he's selling as new...what I'm wondering is if there are any improvements, either structural or cosmetic to the most recent build that would make it a better guitar than the '08. There's no seasoning impact because it's an '08 that hasn't been played much, just stored...

I'm also wondering when Gibson will release the newest build?

I have a J-185EC and it never ceases to amaze me. Mine was produced in 2007. Maple-bodied guitars are hard for me to live without. For awhile I thought the preamp and the cutaway would have an effect on the acoustic sound but if so it has been a positive one.

Anyways I wouldn't fret about the fact that the one you are considering is a 2008 production. They're all good if they sound good. I can't imagine much to be gained by waiting for a 2010 beyond maybe newer Fishman electronics.

Pic

PS. I just missed a sunburst when I bought mine. Wish I had it.

I'm also wondering when Gibson will release the newest build?

If you want a new one, have a dealer order one for you. Gibson acoustics are built in response to dealer orders, not "when it's time".

-- Bob R

Thanks! All good advice...the 2008 I'm looking at I can get for a pretty decent price, probably $2600-2700, because it's a display model and does have one minor blemish. I kinda like to donate my own dents and dings since they become part of my history with the guitar.

This one is a beautiful blonde...and I've always been partial to that look. I went by Monday to play it and saw they have moved it to a lighted display case in front of the guitar room and it looked absolutely beautiful sparkling in the light, and then I played it again...it is truly a sweetheart! The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I was doing some research comparing the maple to the rosewood (settled on the maple), and because I was considering having my dealer bring in a new one for comparison. But, I don't think I can wait any longer!

Two things I'm thinking about doing: 1) replace the plastic posts with bone, and 2) I may replace the pickguard with a custom one similar to what's on the J-200 (not one of the 200 shape, just the design). Some might say that may make it less valuable, but I just like the look.

Donovan

Hi Donovan,

I bought a J 185 EC Rosewood a year and a half ago and am still absolutely ecstatic about this guitar. I prefer the rosewood body over the maple (both models have spruce tops) and I still think this guitar is a big cut above all others. The rosewood version also has more handsome neck and head inlays, IMHO.

Sandy

Not looking to cut off a potential sale here but I have a 2005 very clean (bone nut and saddle) prefessionall set up for sale for 2K. Photos at Gibson J-185EC (The John Pearse armrest is removable and it comes with the original Gibson case). Let me know if you have any interest.

Donovan,

I had played both the J 185 EC maple and the EC rosewood back to back and I found the maple version to be more "brittle" or bright sounding than the rosewood model. I think the rosewood sounds more balanced and "bassy" which suited my preference. Of course everyone has a different preference and I would encourage you to try out different guitars and see what suits you. Also, I liked the looks of the rosewood model better (not that it should matter). All the other guitars I had tried and liked had spruce tops with either rosewood or mahogany backs and sides. BTW, I also preferred the neck on the rosewood model, a one-piece mahogany neck, as it very closely resembled my ES 175 in how it felt. I think the maple version has a multi-piece maple neck which felt different. Anyway, to each his/her own. Good luck with your purchase.

Hey GibsonGuy....I'll certainly give some thought to your 185. I looked at the pics and it looks very nice. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but have noticed that there aren't very many used Maple J-185 ECs on the market, and no Rosewoods. Actually, I'm a little conflicted about new vs. used and Maple vs. Rosewood so haven't made up my mind yet.

No problem, It is not as loud as the rosewood model but it is more balanced and has a real sharp attack, love the sound but I am having "too many guitar" issues and need to move some stuff out. BTW, it is in as good shape as the pictures show, I keep my instruments humidified (except the Rainsong). My e-mail is fred.ball@sbcglobal.net. Keep it in mond and good luck with your quest!!!

My 185 ec is an Oct. 08 build date. Bought it in Feb of 09. I paid $2150 for it from Samedaymusic. Thats not what they wanted to sell it for, but Gibson dealers have to purchase a certain amount of product yearly regardless if they sell what they have in stock. (I've been told 250k annually). So they were anxious to get rid of inventory. Mine is maple and I dont think you give up low end with the maple body. The jumbo design allows for excellent base response.

Good luck

Archived