Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire MCK Problems

jacgec

Anybody out there had a MCK that mostly worked but would not accept some commands, for instance when used to select Les Paul Mode, single string up, some of the digits when working functions, etc..? Also, MCK will act just plain flaky sometimes and guitar is too unpredictable to play live.

jacgec,

sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Sounds like the system potentiometer is causing the problem, especially the "enter" function.

Do you experience that the MCK wont bounce when you "enter"? This would prevent the CPU from recognizing the commands...

Apply a small dip of CaigDeoxit on the system pots (hollow) shaft to improve bouncing:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=caig+deoxit&o=5&ipp=25&source=4WWRWXGB

Tronical

You play. We tune.

Tronical,

Thanks for the insight. The MCK "bounces" OK. I had read of this occuring with other Dark Fires but mine turns smoothly and the "bounce" does'nt seem to be an issue. I have noticed that both the Les Paul mode and single string up require a momentary press at the rotating arrow and niether of these functions work at all. Failure to "enter" in other positions is sporadic. All string down or string up mode wouldn't work until I did a reset to factory defaults "109". I tried some other resets that customer service had advised me I could try relative to tuning but the MCK wouldn't recognize some of the digits, so I gave up.

One time the guitar just plain stopped making any sounds in the middle of playing it no matter whether the MCK was in or out. I thought maybe the battery was dead, but when I plugged the charger in, it started charging at the green bars and the guitar imediately started working. Huh?

Anyway, after talking to customer service at Gibson, I got an RMA and sent it in for repair. I would still love to know what in the world is going on with this guitar. I have two earlier Robots (Les Paul and SG) and have had no problems whatsoever. Go figure.

Thanks for the insight

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, pretty cool guitar.  For those like me, who is not familiar with this model and does not know what the "MCK" is, it is the Master Control Knob.  Additionally, this guitar came with a RIP (Robot Interface Pack) to -- I assume -- provide a computer interface for recording.  Who is the expert here to help Max out??

"The Dark Fire's MCK also controls the ability to change pickups and coils, allowing you the ability to adjust tone and tunings"

528966000000000-02-500x500.jpg

528966000000000-06-500x500.jpg

528966000000000-01-500x500.jpg

528966000000000-04-500x500.jpg