Gibson Brands Forums

Go Green!!! Yes, even you Fat Cats...

NeoConMan

Tommy, the nuke industry is required to do that.

AO, I agree and disagree on several points.

Your cited environmental factors like rising ocean water levels, soil errosion, hurricanes etc....

Is it the Bay Of Fundy near you that has tides in excess of 30 feet?

Wild, eh?

But the whole scare about rising ocean water levels is a red herring.

Much of the world's population lives in coastal cities that would be devastated by 1 foot in increased ocean level.

But where would all that water come from?

How much ice are you gonna melt to get that?

The resistance to "green" energies is because for many years those technologies were simply pipe dreams.

Execs from gas and oil companies held many ears in government for sure.

Held many pocketbooks backing campaigns too.

But the whole Big/Evil Oil argument falls apart with any scrutiny.

The reason those "green" energies never took off?

Nobody would invest in them.

The BEST example I can give?

Here in the Arizona desert, why do we not have millions of solar arrays?

They cost too much to construct, install and maintain.

Their output is not guaranteed - even in Arizona - and they don't work at night.

Peak power output is available only about 20% of the time - hardly as "efficient" as people would believe.

Wind turbines aren't much better when you look at their dispatch rate - actual production vs. capacity.

Don't get me wrong - I think should be building the hell out of them.

But private funding evaporated once again over the last two years - just as technology was maturing.

With the uncertainty in the financial markets, and the governments never-ending efforts to "fix it" we're screwed.

Fossil fuel will remain the source for 80% of our electricity for awhile yet.

The ugliest thing in any city are indeed the powerlines.

No way around 'em.

They're strung all over the desert near my home - visible for miles in every direction.

Tommy' date=' the nuke industry is required to do that.

[/quote']

Sadly, the wind turbine industry has no national, nor state requirements. It's up to the local governements, And the power companies building these turbines know this and do many things to avoid it, unless you hold their collective feet to the fire.

The resistance to "green" energies is because for many years those technologies were simply pipe dreams.

Execs from gas and oil companies held many ears in government for sure.

Held many pocketbooks backing campaigns too.

But the whole Big/Evil Oil argument falls apart with any scrutiny.

The reason those "green" energies never took off?

Nobody would invest in them.

Even wind turbines are not cost effective. The power companies don't see any profit in it. Therefore they've been mandated to install them. That's the worst reason in the world to do anything. Because it is poly tickal and that can change in the twinkling of an eye. Suddenly, there is no money to enforce it and there are other sacred cows to prop up. Then the private industry loses their incentive to keep them afloat and private industry has a tendency to walk away from it all leaving others to clean up the mess.

I've read over the whole thread thoroughly. This is the only useful contribution I can make:

Powerplants in Arizona generate X amount of electricity.

Arizona consumers receive X amount of electricity delivered to their meters - always a much smaller amount.

Someone didn't pay attention during Algebra I. If power plants in Arizona generate X amount of energy' date=' and "Arizona consumers receive[...']a much smaller amount of electricity," then they can't be receiving "X amount of electricity" because this would suggest that they receive the same amount that's produced by Arizona power plants. The amount of electricity they're receiving should be represented by a different variable.

eusa_dance.gif

Yeah the Bay of Fundy is basically in my backyard, at least compared to most people here anyway, and they raise pretty high, they're in contention for some contest to lygit call themselves world's highest tides.

But I digress, as for the whole water levels rising thing, I wasn't using it as a threat more of an idea, as a possibility of natural changes, I don't believe the whole water levels rising, global warming super threat as much as some people do, climate shifting is natural.

Fossil fuel is as you said still the primary source of energy and most of the engines and production methods are incredibly advanced now to optimize how it's processed, it's not as evil as most think and I don't picture the oil companies as evil, at least not like, Apple bashing your door down evil. They just happen to have interests they want protected like any other business.

Green technology isn't as optimized yet because yes, they don't fund/back it, not as much yet, eventually the technology will be researched and optimized to perform for us, since fossil fuels are still technically a non renewable.

As for the Bay of Fundy, I stayed in a large home redone into a cottage that looked over the bay, and it was amazing to watch, like a moive. When you walk around on the flats at low tide there are markers stating how far is safe to go to allow yourself enough time to make it back before the tide comes in and swallows you. Imagine being able to walk far enough that you literally couldn't be able to race the tide back to the beach.

Well, this whole damned conversation is about as misinformed as a Conversation can get. This must be one of the "Other Reasons" Political Threads are banned from the forum.

I'm betting Two member actually read the news story before twisting and spinning it into the typical Division and Derision that is a Political Discussion. And that's all I have to say about that.

Oh good' date=' the typical "you guys are all stupid and I'm right, however I offer no evidence, or argument to my post" routine. Thanks for that valuable use of my time. [/quote']

Just how valuable is your Forum Time?

(you Fat Cats)From MSNBC;

Division

What's the matter?

They don't want "green energy" all of a sudden?

Not even in the best locations for the greatest generation capability?

Derision.

Before anyone can form an opinion' date=' the Conservative angle has been established and any Liberal who wants to make a comment must take a defensive attitude.

No where does it state that this project was proposed by Democrats or Liberals, or even Independents.

There's no source, making the whole story Questionable in my opinion.

You obviously have a lot to learn about the Democrat mentality.

Their guiding principle has always been:

"Don't do what I do. Do what I say."

More Division and Derision. Very Trite.

Yeah' date=' I've been struggling to keep up since the [b']"General Malaise"[/b] of the Carter years...

[cool]/

Stirring the Derision.

Thanks Zig.

Wasn't a Conservative vs. Liberal thing.

It's a "Look how stupid and hypocritical they are" thing.

Straight BS. Neo doesn't start a conversation about policy without taking sides.

Good thinking.

Might not be correct though.

Got that story from MSNBC.

They attack Liberals?

Do they EVER speak ill of Kennedy?

C'mon....

Remember your little "facts" pep talk....

A link to the original story would be nice.

...Anyway, typical political conversation with very little grounded in reality.

so what we arguing up in here ?..............I just jumped to the end and have not read any of this thread..........but I bet I can guess the deal

Neo says global warming is a hoax and informed others site actual science and the historical datat hat shows what is ocurring.

Neo denies the validity of known facts and never admits defeat...................I open another budweiser and spark some catnip..........

Hmmmm....

I changed the names to protect the innocent.

I've learned how they react when scared, cornered, and left with nothing but reality to cling to....

[biggrin] :D/ [biggrin] [biggrin] :D/ [biggrin] [biggrin] :D/ [biggrin] [biggrin] :D/ [biggrin]

Well' date=' this whole damned conversation is about as misinformed as a Conversation can get. [/quote']

Yeah, I was kinda thinkin' the same thing.

This must be one of the "Other Reasons" Political Threads are banned from the forum.

Do help - any way you can.

With enough effort' date=' maybe you can get them to clarify, amend, even expand [b']Da Rulz[/b] in your honor!

I'm betting Two member actually read the news story before twisting and spinning it into the typical Division and Derision that is a Political Discussion.

You a betting man?

Lose much?

And that's all I have to say about that.

Pffffftttt!!!!!

FAT CHANCE.

See below.....

Tell them that on the Outer Banks of NC.

You're not banned? After trying so hard?

As far as failures go' date=' that's up there with screwing up suicide....

:-)

Okay, so what about the Outer Banks of NC?

Never been there.

Erosion a problem, sticking out there waiting for a hurricane?

Or is the ocean rising there?

Nowhere else on earth, but it is in NC?

[i']Really....[/i]

Just how valuable is your Forum Time?

Mine?

My time is what I make it.

Anybody seeking to instruct me otherwise should expect some resistance.

Division

Derision.

Ah' date=' but now YOU'RE here to mend fences, foster acceptance and understanding, and extend an Olive Branch.

You can keep you Fig Leaf...

Before anyone can form an opinion' date=' the Conservative angle has been established and any Liberal who wants to make a comment must take a defensive attitude. [/quote']

If the Liberals had a clue, they wouldn't continue to place themselves in such dire straits.

:D/

No where does it state that this project was proposed by Democrats or Liberals' date=' or even Independents.[/quote']

Yeah, so?

What's your point?

I made no party comments.

Made no insinuation even leaning toward it.

I copied/pasted the story as it appeared on that Liberal Looney Toon network website MSDNC, er I mean MSNBC.

I highlighted The Swimmer's name (Kennedy) for the same reason I do every time I mention Guitar Center.

He was a legendary Liberal, the Liberal Lion in the Senate, crusader for all who.... need.. crusading for...

Piece of sh!t in my opinion, killed a young woman, made SURE she was dead, and covered his ***.

I could fill ten pages with reasons he deserves to have his grave pissed on, but I digress.

If red font makes a political position, I'll be sure to color my posts more from now on....

There's no source' date=' making the whole story Questionable in my opinion.[/quote']

MSNBC isn't a legitimate source?

Hey! We finally agree!!!

If you look again, you may see at the beginning of the story something like this;

Jay Lindsay - Associated Press, April 28, 2010

More Division and Derision. Very Trite.

Stirring the Derision.

Straight BS. Neo doesn't start a conversation about policy without taking sides.

Yeah' date=' I'm on the side NOT populated by hypocrites.

I know what a wind farm is.

I have an idea what they cost.

I know how efficient they are when the wind doesn't blow.

I know that onshore breezes are the most consistent in the land.

I know what the expected return is, and why that's a prime location.

I know when Liberals are suddenly hypocrites, like globetrotting in private jets to lecture us on conservation.

I've hung lotsa windmills myself when I was a crane operator.

I know what it takes to maintain them.

I know how much noise they make.

I know they will SLAUGHTER thousands of migratory fowl.

I know that when government policy moves away from them, billions of private/ratepayer dollars will be lost.

I know another thing or two, but I think even you guys get the hint.

Comes from being in the energy business for, oh, all my life....

Please, if you have any professional experience on the matter, do share it with us.

A link to the original story would be nice.

I didn't bother with a link, because of the dynamic nature of most news sites.

(Even if MSDNC isn't really a "news" site as far as facts are concerned....)

Most news story links are only good for a couple of days, while copying the story leaves it available for all to see.

Even the Liberals who get pissed off about Liberal sites posting stories that make Liberals look dumb.

Even RICH Liberals.

:D/

...Anyway' date=' typical political conversation with very little grounded in reality.[/quote']

FIX IT!!!

Show us your reality.

Just remember to use facts, reason and logic or some people might not agree with you.

Well, zig zag probably will, but we've seen his best already today....

Implode dip.

Well' date=' at least your grammar has improved.

[biggrin']/

Yeah the Bay of Fundy is basically in my backyard

How do you feel about tidal pool generation?

Popular Science magazine was telling us 75 years ago that it was right around the corner.

Flying cars too.

:-)

I don't know.

Reminds me of the joke about the zebra in heaven.

Asking God if he was white with black stripes, or black with white stripes.

The answer was very obvious in the end.

When do you expect your end?

Really.

Really.

All I know about you is the photo in your avatar.

I'm afraid I have to admit I lack the cognitive abilty to know everything I need to know about forum

members before I make it my day's objective to belittle and insult them, reducing them to smoking wreckage.

Seems some here are doubly blessed, or somehow convinced of their ability.

Do you really HATE Limbaugh?

Pretty strong word, eh?

Archived