Gibson Brands Forums

Largest Kansas Tornado Drought in 20 Years!

NeoConMan

Largest Kansas Tornado Drought in 20 Years!

262 days without a tornado in Kansas - Woo-Hoo!!!

[cool]/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

Hey, I grew up in Tornado Alley.

Still have lotsa friends and family out there.

Any day without a tornado is a good day.

And Kate Bilo is a cutie - in that Mid-Western Farm Girl kinda way.....

http://www.accuweather.com/video/78367412001/bilo-breakdown-largest-kansas-tornado-drought-in-20-years.asp

Kansas...."don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change!" And, so will this tonado deficit, I fear.

We have a tendency, to go from "Record breaking" seasons, to "normal," to deficit seasons. That's

just a normal part of living in Kansas! And, being (mostly...lol) "human," we're never satisfied, either...

"Too much rain, not enough rain, to cold, too hot, etc., etc., etc. Besides...it's early, in the storm

season, still. As always, here...it will be interesting.

I LOVE "Thunderstorms," and "Wild weather!" Always have. Keeps one grounded, as to

"who's in charge," you know? Don't care for tonados, but they are fascinating, from a distance,

and when non-destructive, of course.

CB

Yeah CB,

Most people have no idea what they're missing.

Those storms are a sight to behold in Kansas.

Further west the better, fewer trees, drier air makes visibility better.

I've stood and watched them many, many times.

Same with a few tornados, the sun was right and they were clearly visible for 10 minutes or more.

As to "who's in charge," you know it occurred to me in my teens when I was watching a tornado one evening.

All this blah, blah, blah you hear in church - now it clicks....

Somebody called a tornado "the finger of God" and I couldn't disagree.

That sort of power, on such a massive scale, distributed in such a random fashion, so visible -

- you realize it's not YOUR world, you're just a microscopic life form in a brief flash of time.

They are fascinating, from a distance, to be sure.

Getting too close is something you'll only do once.

[blink][angry][blink]

I'm so used to them honestly I don't even wake up when the the sirens start blaring.

That's what people in California say, about earthquakes...until your house starts crumbling around you!

And, with them....there's no where to escape, and even less (real/accurate) warning. At least, with most

"Twisters," you may have a window of opportunity, to get out of the way. Although, the good people of

Greensburg (Kansas) didn't fare as well, a few years ago. And, Texas (and other states) has/have a history

of losing whole towns, as well. So...(please) don't get too "blase'" about those "Finger's of God!"

CB

No warning with earthquakes.

You are where you are.

Better be living right, eh?

Reminds me of the story of the guy on a motorcycle.

Riding safely down the highway, wearing good gear, years of experience.

Struck by lightning at 70 mph.

Never knew what hit him.

Dozens of witnesses in other cars.

Gives new meaning to the term WTF?

At least with a tornado you usually have some advance warning - even seconds can make a difference.

I've only actually seen a tornado once and that was about 4 years ago. I've been in the basement with one churning less than half a mile from my home, but never seen one.

We were driving home from Springfield on I-55. A more ferocious lightning storm, I've never been in. It was mid-afternoon rain was real spotty. Torrential rain, then sun shine, then torrential rain. Lighting slamming down on all sides of us. During a particularly dense down pour I was helping my wife watch the road as she was driving. We were trying to find an off ramp to park on. When all of a sudden "WHAM!" a bolt hit our car. Ear splitting thunder clap. Dead silence in the car as we found an off ramp and parked. I asked the kids if they were okay. All was good in the back. We made it to our hotel and spent the night. The next morning is when we noticed the damage. The bolt had hit the radio antenna on the right front quarter panel not 12 inches from my head. The antenna was flat busted gone. The radio was toast and the the left front speaker (we found out later) was blown. You could see carbon tracking from the left front corner of the bumper, we assume the bolt had entered the antenna on the right and exited the left front bumper.

About 5 years ago, there were two retired friends fishing on a local lake. Not a cloud in the sky, no forecast of storms within 100 miles. WHAM! a bolt of lighting hit the aluminum boat and one fisherman was dead. Story goes a carbon fiber fishing pole was melted. It is assumed this was the point of entry.

Archived