Gibson Brands Forums

Info re Gibson J180 EC's

phil47uk

Hi there guys,

Anyone know much about Gibson J180 EC's?

I had a great one sent over from Vegas to me in the UK a year or so back. Lovely sound on stage.

I have never seen many in this finish though and certainly not in the UK.

It basically looks like the Guitar Center black version except that this has gold hardware. MOP star inlays and the Gibson crown logo on the headstock and a lovely bookmatched flamed maple back.

Does anyone know the history of these models. Ie.. When did they make this model and when did they discontinue it and also the differences between the GC model and this. Are they rare?

Thanks Phil.

Here's a pic.

Gibsonjc1.jpg

Anyone know much about Gibson J180 EC's?

"J-180" has been used for a number of different models, which aren't all that closely related. Yours is the 1999-2002 incarnation of the J-180 EC, which was basically the successor of the 1997-98 EC-20 Starburst, which in turn was the successor of the early '90s Starburst models (Studio, Elite, ...). The Vintage Sunburst finish was a standard option all four years, I believe. These aren't extremely rare, but you don't see them all that often either. Any of these is a nicer guitar than the GC version of the J-180 EC, IMHO.

-- Bob R

"J-180" has been used for a number of different models' date=' which aren't all that closely related. Yours is the 1999-2002 incarnation of the J-180 EC, which was basically the successor of the 1997-98 EC-20 Starburst, which in turn was the successor of the early '90s Starburst models (Studio, Elite, ...). The Vintage Sunburst finish was a standard option all four years, I believe. These aren't extremely rare, but you don't see them all that often either. Any of these is a nicer guitar than the GC version of the J-180 EC, IMHO.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Thanks Bob,

Yeah, I do some acoustic gigs with my daughter, so it's ideal, but most of my other gigs are Les Paul's and Strat jobs, so I don't really need a 3 grand Martin or Gibson to cover the work.

Are they basically the same guitar as the GC version, or are there any constructional differences?

Phil.

Are they basically the same guitar as the GC version' date=' or are there any constructional differences?[/quote']

Can't really say for sure -- I don't have detailed-enough specs for either model -- but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some minor differences. It appears that the GC version was a result of GC asking Gibson for a low-as-possible-priced alternative to the J-185 EC. If Bozeman could cut costs by using less expensive materials, I'm sure they did. The trouble is, Bozeman's efforts at cost-cutting can result in some pretty darn nice guitars (the WM 45, e.g.). However, I've checked out a few of these J-180 ECs, and didn't much care for any them -- none was in the same league as a J-185 EC.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the early '90s Starbursts either: I like acoustic-electrics that sound like good acoustic guitars when played acoustically, and none of these do. Yours, on the other hand, is a slightly stripped down 1997-2001 J-185 EC (rosewood substituted for ebony, etc.) and so likely sounds pretty good!

Hope someone else can help you with the specs!

-- Bob R

Can't really say for sure -- I don't have detailed-enough specs for either model -- but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some minor differences. It appears that the GC version was a result of GC asking Gibson for a low-as-possible-priced alternative to the J-185 EC. If Bozeman could cut costs by using less expensive materials' date=' I'm sure they did. The trouble is, Bozeman's efforts at cost-cutting can result in some pretty darn nice guitars (the WM 45, e.g.). However, I've checked out a few of these J-180 ECs, and didn't much care for any them -- none was in the same league as a J-185 EC.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the early '90s Starbursts either: I like acoustic-electrics that sound like good acoustic guitars when played acoustically, and none of these do. Yours, on the other hand, is a slightly stripped down 1997-2001 J-185 EC (rosewood substituted for ebony, etc.) and so likely sounds pretty good!

Hope someone else can help you with the specs!

-- Bob R[/quote']

Thanks Bob. Yeah a pretty loud guitar acoustically. Well balanced and ideal for small gigs. Someone told me that the black ones are a solid piece back and the older ones were laminate. That doesn't add up, as a tech who sets up my guitars said that this 180 EC definitely had a one piece back ( Bookmatched ).

Thanks for your help so far though Bob, as you certainly know more about them than me over here in the UK. I have tried searching on the web, but can't seem to come up with anything.

Phil.

• 1 month later...

Archived