Gibson Brands Forums

From Jimmy Page to Madonna: 5 ‘Black Beauty’ All-Stars

nmccarthy001

Once in a while I find myself questioning the judgement of our friends on Gibson's management team. Case in point: the latest feature on "Lifestyle". Specifically, "From Jimmy Page to Madonna: 5 ‘Black Beauty’ All-Stars". Great choice of "Black Beauty" players, EXCEPT . . . Madonna! What? How, by all that is holy, can Gibson seriously list Madonna as a player? Yes, she's a cultural icon; yes, she knows how to reinvent herself continuously; she even knows how to sing -- after a fashion. But she is a horrible songwriter and a total zero as a guitar player. Madonna will eventually be consigned to the dustbin of cultural history, or, at the very least, make for a slightly interesting sidebar. Ask yourself: when was the last time you found yourself saying, "Boy, that Madonna sure is a ferociously good guitarist! She really knows her way around that Gibson Black Beauty. Wish I could do what she does"? C'mon guys, get serious.

oh God here we go again.

Why wouldn't Gibson give to Madonna a guitar or two??? She performs in front of THOUSANDS of people and puts an amazing show.

FYI, Madonna started taking guitar lessons in 2000. Gibson made her 2 custom models for her 2001 Drowned World Tour. She recently rocked a purple sparkle SG (Les Paul re-issue) in her Sticky & Sweet Tour. It's all right here

this is an excerpt of the interview of Madonna's guitar teacher & player, Monte Pittman (also plays with Prong and Adam Lambert)

UG:These days, how proficient would you say Madonna is on guitar?

Monte Pittman: I think she's at a good place in terms of where she wants to be. She's not trying to be the next Steve Vai; she wants to play for fun, and wants to have a couple of songs in the show where she can play the rhythm guitar parts. I mean, there's really only so many chords you're gonna play in a conventional song, whether it's rock or pop music. She can do that. If she's working on songs for an album, she can figure out the chords or find out what the chords are, and then take whatever the chord progression is home and play it on a guitar, and work on her vocal parts. A lot of it is I think for fun; it isn't like she wants to get really good, and maybe someday sell a million albums (laughs).

source

iloveny06.jpg

I read in Rolling Stone that Madonna actually plays, piano , drums and guitar. She started taking lessons back in 2000 but before she was big, she made sure she knew instruments. SHe has more talent than most musicians that I can think of.

Please do your research beforehand k

Who knows! maybe there planning a Madonna Sig LP.....[cool]

Well I know who she is for starters; can't say that about all the sigs I see popping up...

It may even encourage some of the 'fairer sex' (not my description' date=' blame someone else) to take up the 6-string banjo. Hell; I know some girly-guy who even bought a guitar called a 'Godess'; so perhaps Madge would appeal to all genders...[biggrin

Who the f&%k cares if Madonna plays a les paul or whatever... so what... I mean the simple mention of it as being negative is so childish and immature...

I don't like Eric Clapton.. But I still have a strat and could care less if Eric plays one... "good for him" I say...

its disgraceful. i wouldve picked jan akkerman or john fogerty instead of her. i have nothing against her playing one, and i understand that she wants to just play for fun, but i wouldnt put her on a list of famous black beauty players. seems ****ed up they put her on a list with jimmy page, like its a joke. i mean its more about finding the more skilled/ famous players who have used them and are known for using them than just adding anyone who happens to have ever played a black beauty.

Well I know who she is for starters; can't say that about all the sigs I see popping up...

It may even encourage some of the 'fairer sex' (not my description' date=' blame someone else) to take up the 6-string banjo. Hell; I know some girly-guy who even bought a guitar called a 'Godess'; so perhaps Madge would appeal to all genders...[biggrin

hey! thats a good guitar...just because its got a lighter body and its got a bright skyburst finish and its called the goddess doesnt mean its a girls guitar......does it? well...maybe im just secure enough with my masculinity to want one in blue o.O.

Whoa! Something is incongruent.

Madonna's face looks about 35-40 yrs old,

but her fingers, hands and arms are lookin' about 65 yrs old.

Brutal.

oh God here we go again. Why wouldn't Gibson give to Madonna a guitar or two??? ...

iloveny06.jpg

. . . and then, depression set in . . . [that famous Bill Murray line from Stripes]

She does know 3 chords, I guess. I recently witnessed it on EPIX. Problem is, she didn't have the strumming part down in time with the actual song rhythm so apparently she was guitar syncing even though I do think she was actually singing the song for real. [crying]

hey! thats a good guitar...just because its got a lighter body and its got a bright skyburst finish and its called the goddess doesnt mean its a girls guitar......does it? well...maybe im just secure enough with my masculinity to want one in blue o.O.

I know. I was just kidding (hence the smiley).

Flight 959 has one and says everyone who plays it comes away wanting one. I'm hoping to have a shot of it next time we meet up for a jam.

Every 6 months or so, someone sees Madonna with a guitar and runs to their favorite guitar message board to post a little diatribe about how horrific it is... I am powerless to not pop in at least ONCE to say something :)

McCarthy: Gibson can list Madonna as a player because she parades their fine instruments on stage in front of MILLIONS of people. No one says she is a great guitarist, but everyone knows her name, at least one of her songs, and probably any reasonable musician would be impressed that she decided to pick up the guitar midway through her wildly successful career *just because* ... she is obviously enjoying it cause she hasn't given up playing. I love James Iha but he'll be buried way further down than Madonna in this 'dustbin of cultural history' that you speak of. [-( And as far as wishing we could do what she does? Hell yeah-- I wish I sold millions of records and got to play my music in the biggest stadiums in the world. You don't?

Vette: If it's a piece about Famous Black Beauty players, who the hell is more famous than Madonna? Yeah, if she was in a shred-off with Jimmy Page, she'd burn up into black smoke-- but I can't think of a more famous person playing this guitar.

Big Kahune: Nice crack about her hands. You think they look worse than these:

2n7kwbd.jpg

Now, I'm just ribbing you guys because I figure you can take it. And because like I said, I can't help myself. And just in case you guys want to get really UPSET, not only is she playing guitar, but SOMEONE spilled the beans to her about playing in Drop D....

"If you don't have anything nice to say' date=' don't say anything at all" :)

Unless it's about Madonna. I hate everything about her.[/quote']

HAHAHA!!!![-( EXACTLY. Madonna shouldn't even be allowed to play guitar anyways.... Let alone given the title of '5 Black Beauty All Stars.'

"Black Beauty Allstar" may be a bit of a strech, but its a free country. M can play a Gibson if she wants to, and Gibson can plaster her face on their website if they see fit. Music media has a history of grouping average guitar players in with the greats. Rolling Stone put Kurt Cobain high on the list 100 greatest guitar players of all time. Kurt, like Madonna, was a great singer/ song-writer, performer, and artist, but was no EVH on the six string.

Didnt Page's Black Beauty get stolen before Zep's debut album was even recorded? I only ever remember seeing a few old photos of him with that old Custom, so maybe Madonna is more deserving of the spot than him!

Wow. I had never noticed before' date=' but Madonna's hands DO look like Les'....[/quote']

At least Les had a reasonable excuse. He was in his '90s and had arthritis in both hands...

Pity he didn't play a 'Black Beauty' though.

Hang on a moment. He DID!

And just to be pedantic; that snap of Madge shows her playing what looks to be a black '1960 Classic'. As far as I'm aware the 'Black Beauty' moniker was always used when referring to an ebony finish LP Custom...:-

And just to be pedantic; that snap of Madge shows her playing what looks to be a black '1960 Classic'. As far as I'm aware the 'Black Beauty' moniker was always used when referring to an ebony finish LP Custom...Whistle

Now THAT is a point well taken and one that I TOTALLY get behind... She does NOT play Black Beauties... she just plays Black Les Pauls... so on THAT point, yeah-- Gibson flubbed! Aw, they coulda put Jeff Buckley on there:

BUCKLEY_105307t.jpg

And just for some eye candy, check out this (White Beauty?!!) LP Gibson made for Madonna's guitarist:

gibsonlpwhitebk2.jpg

THAT is a guitar that I'd barely stop short of killing in order to own...

Didn't Keith Richard give Jimmy that Black Beauty that was stolen? There's a couple videos on youtube of him using that guitar, they were doin' a couple Eddie Cochran tunes ("C'mon everybody" and another one I'm not familiar with).

Archived