Gibson Brands Forums

where to put strap button?

hemet

I have the J35. I bought the Gibson leather strap, the one with the hummingbird on it. I can tie the one end at the nut , but the other end does not fit over the input jack . should I install a pin in position 2, 4 or 5? or not at all? I don't want to ruin the guitar. please help!

Just enlarge the hole in the strap so it fits over the end pin jack. If I understand what you were thinking was one end of the strap tied at the nut and the other end to a button at the neck or heel? If you tie it at the nut then you want the other end to go to the end pin, not the neck. You should be able to slightly slice the leather notch to enlarge it enough to get it over the end pin.

I've never found a strap that would fit neatly over an endpin jack. The endpin jacks seem to have a narrow groove while the simple end pins are more sculpted. Most leather on straps is too thick to fit in that groove, no matter how you try to enlarge the hole diameter wise. I jury rig it by tying a 12" piece of para-cord to the end of the strap using the hole and then fashion a noose to slip over the end pin jack. Para cord fits nicely in the groove and once you tighten it, it will stay. If it's a decent noose.

I don't think any of the five positions would hurt anything if properly backed with a support block. I personally wouldn't put it through th wood om the backside.

Maybe go to a Guitar Center, and try guitars with the strap buttons in different positions. Then You could find the location that gives You the most comfortable balnce for You. Personally only the strap by the nut i the only choice for me. I want every MM of wood on my guitars unaltered and untouched.

I use position #2 because I play the acoustic like it's an electric and I don't want the strap button to be in the way of my fat little fingers. I have a thick, Levy suede strap so the guitar isn't rolling around when I stand up.

Tying it around the headstock just doesn't feel right to me but that's the way my wife's Guild is done. She likes it so who am I to argue?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always installed them in the #5 fashion on my Martins and Yamahas. Gibson acoustics however seem to look right to me with a #2 style install. Is there any legitimate reason to feel like it's a bad thing to have the guitar "leaning" on that #5 button while in the case? Or should the plush lining of the case disperse this anyway?

• 6 months later...

I've never found a strap that would fit neatly over an endpin jack. The endpin jacks seem to have a narrow groove while the simple end pins are more sculpted. Most leather on straps is too thick to fit in that groove, no matter how you try to enlarge the hole diameter wise. I jury rig it by tying a 12" piece of para-cord to the end of the strap using the hole and then fashion a noose to slip over the end pin jack. Para cord fits nicely in the groove and once you tighten it, it will stay. If it's a decent noose.

I know This is an old post but I've been researching the same topic. I'm just wondering if you may have a quick release button and either need to change it back to stock or get the correct quick release button to match it. Just curious and you may have already found the answer by now

I know This is an old post but I've been researching the same topic. I'm just wondering if you may have a quick release button and either need to change it back to stock or get the correct quick release button to match it. Just curious and you may have already found the answer by now

Nope - I do not have a quick release button. I have endpins which are metal, not plastic - which are a component of an on board amplification system which allow you to plug a standard jack into them - with the other end going to your amp. And, as I've stated - I've been unable to find a strap that fits on what I think is poorly designed endpin. I have stopped looking for a solution, and am still using the paracord with the hangman's noose. Hope this helps - Good Luck i your quest.

Archived