Gibson Brands Forums

Awesome finds

Last night I was watching a show about amazing cars people found tucked away in barns, and got me to thinking how cool it would be to be rummaging around grandmas attic and come across an original 59 stashed under a box of old junk. Have any of you ever come across something forgotten, and were able to rescue it?

Last night I was watching a show about amazing cars people found tucked away in barns' date=' and got me to thinking how cool it would be to be rummaging around grandmas attic and come across an original 59 stashed under a box of old junk. Have any of you ever come across something forgotten, and were able to rescue it?[/quote']

My Father-In-Law had a violin as a kid, (he's be about 90 today). I never much thought about it. I've wanted a violin for some time, but was afraid I'd buy one so crappy it'd never be playable. And I didn't want to spend $600-700 dollars on one only to find that I'd bought a bad one.

On my birthday in 2008 my Sister-In-Law gave me her father's violin, which she played as a child but that has been in her attic for 40 years.

It looked like a instrument that had been in an attic for 80 years...so I took it to a place in Berkeley to have it "set up". and buy a bow for it.

Well, after spending about $400, the thing is INCREDIBLE! I looked it up on line and it's worth at least $1500.

I'm VERY happy with it, (although I still sound like a cat with hemroids), and best of all, it will go to one of our grandkids one day!

Violin-c.jpg?t=1272728445

I've told the story a hundred times, but let's make it 101 :-k

Got a 1987 Contemporary Strat from my friend for 47 bucks with a case. He never played it, and he used the money to buy magic trick stuff. He was happy, I was and still am happy. Now, to start modding the hell out of it (I wish there was like a plotting evil mind emoticon, you know the one with the creepy smile, and rubbing hands and stuff... nevermind, I'm just ranting now)

Okay.,... here's another great find.... back in the early 80's the house next to my parent's home had some renters. The owner evicted them. When he was cleanin' out the house he found a Fender P-Bass. No case, in rough shape.

He asked my dad if he knew anyone who might want to buy it. He told him his son, (me), was a bass player. I bought it for $100. I dated it to 1980-1981, I think, and took it all apart, refinished it at work and I still have it. Bought a nearly new Fender Bass case for like $60.

DSC01366.jpg?t=1272746159

Archived