Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Strange?

STLBlues

I'm 23 years old and I love blues music. I love to play blues music also. Whenever I tell someone this and they happen to be my own age or younger, they always look at me funny or I get comments like: "Hey, my grampa/dad/uncle listens to that" or "You like that old stuff?". When ever I go to blues clubs to listen to it, I'm like the only person my age there and everyone else is well... older. Does it seem strange or out of place to be this young and enjoy this kind of music?

............naw........you just more intelligent than most..........blues to me is ........bending weird flowin guitar notes.........my brain

....loves the flow of those sounds.......and I feel most alive and in tune with existance hearing and playing the blues.

No' date=' I'm only a few years older and listen to a lot of blues. Age has nothing to do with liking good music.[/quote']

But intelligence does.........at least in my corporation.

Owl... I'm 15 and I like stuff from the 20s. Teenagers give me the weirdest looks.As for the "dad/grandfather etc" comments, oh boy do I get them. The sad part is a lot of them don't even know who Hendrix is...

Trust me you're not alone, younger people these days have (IMO) questionable taste in "music".

Is it strange? I dont know, sure there are loads of people with our music taste but there are so many <cough> teens <hack spit> (I know I am one.... it sucks!) who like well you know... <rolls eyes>.

Anyways my taste in music wins me points with adults. I never really got along with teenagers anyway...

Although I'm not as as young anymore, I know how you feel. When I was growing up in the 80s, a lot of the music I listened to was from the 60s and 70s. Believe it or not, I hear more "classic rock" now on the radio than I did back then.

Although I did get into the hard rock and metal of the day, I was about the only one in my peer group who listened to artists like Traffic, Cream the Birds etc. Even further back like Elvis and Buddy Holly. I was also the fisrt person I knew who became a SRV fan. Long before he became a household name.

My friends gave me that same weird look around 1986 when I started buying Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf albums. Blues was as out-of-step with the popular music then as it is now. At least it was in my area.

I was your age in the 80s, hair metal ruled, and I would get excited about Stevie Ray, BB King, or Gallagher. I'd try to turn my friends on to this kind of music and they'd all give me crap.

When I look back at these guys and gals, I've progressed much further in life than they. I've grown as a person and they are still wearing high tops and mullets . . .

Could the fact that I've grown and lived a much more fulfilling life be due to the BLUES?

This is a very deep subject that needs exploration . . . .

I'm 23 years old and I love blues music. I love to play blues music also. Whenever I tell someone this and they happen to be my own age or younger' date=' they always look at me funny or I get comments like: "Hey, my grampa/dad/uncle listens to that" or "You like that old stuff?". When ever I go to blues clubs to listen to it, I'm like the only person my age there and everyone else is well... older. Does it seem strange or out of place to be this young and enjoy this kind of music? [/quote']

na, it means that you are a cool guy [drool]

i got into blues when i was 16 (17 yrs ago) after listening to an album called "blues alive" by a certain favourite guitarist of mine [biggrin], and i used to get the same sort of comments but i just take em with a pinch of salt...i like what/who i like as do everyone else.

i'm listening to a lot of "bullet for my valentine" at the moment and that style of music isn't everybodys cup of tea but hey...i like it and thats all that matters [biggrin]

I love the blues, one of the reasons I got into Guitar was John Lee Hooker, I love it. He doesn't have amazing stuff, but listen to Boom, Boom. It just gets you.

A lot of people don't like the blues, and say its old people music, blah blah blah. I don't buy that, one of my favorite quotes is "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feeling bad."

I'm 23 years old and I love blues music. I love to play blues music also. Whenever I tell someone this and they happen to be my own age or younger' date=' they always look at me funny or I get comments like: "Hey, my grampa/dad/uncle listens to that" or "You like that old stuff?". When ever I go to blues clubs to listen to it, I'm like the only person my age there and everyone else is well... older. Does it seem strange or out of place to be this young and enjoy this kind of music? [/quote']

Not strange FS, you are just a man who knows what he likes. Your contemporaries are easily lured by the shiniest, slickest, newest gewgaw to come down the pike. That only means they have a weak will and are lured by mass marketing.

Continue to enjoy the music you'll enjoy. Eventually these sophomores will get the hint that keeping up with the latest 'trend' is tedious and wallet draining. Then... they will be searching for something 'real.' You will be there to show them the way. "Interested in blues, you are?" you will quip.

I think a younger person somehow getting into music from a different generation is not at all unusual in the sense that it's been there not only for as long as I've been around, but according to my late father, was there in his youth as well.

It's not typical, perhaps, of any given generation that tends to get into stuff from its own era that is part of generational separation from parents. Or - as with some others of my age group - getting into the same music as one's parents. I always loved swing, even in my teen years, even though it already was off the radio as a current musical pop style.

A lot of pickers were getting into some of the 20s and 30s stuff and converting full band arrangements into guitar-only, too, as kinda a "folkie" sorta thing. The song "nobody knows you when you're down and out" that I was doing in the 60s was a much older Bessie Smith thing done with a real band when first recorded. I didn't even know Clapton did it "unplugged" for years after it was "popular." Hmmmm.

Frankly I have a hunch that as the music scene splinters further and delivery of recorded music similarly splinters, we're likely to see more people of all ages having a broader set of preferred music based increasingly less on age than on other factors.

m

I think a younger person somehow getting into music from a different generation is not at all unusual in the sense that it's been there not only for as long as I've been around' date=' but according to my late father, was there in his youth as well.

It's not typical, perhaps, of any given generation that tends to get into stuff from its own era that is part of generational separation from parents. Or - as with some others of my age group - getting into the same music as one's parents. I always loved swing, even in my teen years, even though it already was off the radio as a current musical pop style.

A lot of pickers were getting into some of the 20s and 30s stuff and converting full band arrangements into guitar-only, too, as kinda a "folkie" sorta thing. The song "nobody knows you when you're down and out" that I was doing in the 60s was a much older Bessie Smith thing done with a real band when first recorded. I didn't even know Clapton did it "unplugged" for years after it was "popular." Hmmmm.

Frankly I have a hunch that as the music scene splinters further and delivery of recorded music similarly splinters, we're likely to see more people of all ages having a broader set of preferred music based increasingly less on age than on other factors.

m

[/quote']

Thinking about it now, I'm glad that I was into the kind of music my parents were into when I was a teenager which was pretty much all rock from the 60s and 70s. That's how I actually discoverd blues music in the first place. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't of had any interest in picking up the guitar. Since then my taste of music has broadened over the years. Although I don't play it, I really like listening to jazz music and I'm starting to listen to bluegrass.

I think i'm going through the same. And I'm only 18. But i found the weird thing, back when i was in jr high, everyone's favorite band was Led Zeppelin. And I REFUSED to like them. And of course i was attacked for it. There's no diversity in my school today at all. It's either country or rap. But I could tell someone in my school about, oh lets say B.B. King or T-Bone Walker. They wouldn't have any idea who I was talking about. I did a class presentation on Les Paul last year. None of them knew who he was. Just me, my friend, and the teacher.

I got into the blues a few years ago. It kind of came with the entire playing the guitar package for me. It's the only music that clicked with my mind. It's the only music i can stand to play or hear half the time. I do have exceptions, like Creed and Coheed and Cambria, but those are about it.

So I don't think it's strange. It might be strange to the majority of the population, but they sure are missing out.

Archived