Gibson Brands Forums

My new Strat tremolo assembly arrived!! (very) first impressions

Riffster

In all honesty I must correct myself. USA-made strats do not have the 'pot metal' blocks (MIM's do) but they are kind of a 'mystery metal'. For instance' date=' they are claiming that one of the major improvements to the 2010 strat is [i']the return to a solid mass 100% metal trem block' [/i]This is the actual description from the MF site:

'Tone-fusion' block- A typical cast bridge block is impregnated with a resin to eliminate 'voids' in the material and to bond it together… this steel block (for the 2010 strat) is infused with copper, which makes the block 100% homogeneous metal. The result is a more musical, higher mass bridge that has more of that machined-block sound. Fender was also able to keep the same American Series profile for increased tremolo travel."

One can only assume that by 'a typical cast bridge block' they mean the one's they were using prior to this year. And remember, we're just talking about the trem block, not the bridge plate.

Another rap on the 'standard' trem blocks were that they were tapered (to allow more of a bend) at the cost of reduction of mass and that many of them have deep string holes (again, reducing the overall mass).

The stock tremolo block on my Strat is painted with a heavy coat, what could they be hiding? the paint has horrible runs too. My plan was to sell the stock tremolo assembly and I may but with an honest description I am not going to get much for it. Other than the graphite saddles this bridge/block is horrible.

The new tremolo assembly I installed weighs 3 ounces more than the stock.

Archived