Gibson Brands Forums

People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful

dROK83

...What is this thread about ?.......man anyone that thinks some magazine should represent their views on anything is a chump.

.........And anyone calling attention to how a magazine like "People" did this or that.......here on our guitar forum.........is a _______________

• Thanks 1

...What is this thread about ?.......man anyone that thinks some magazine should represent their views on anything is a chump.

.........And anyone calling attention to how a magazine like "People" did this or that.......here on our guitar forum.........is a _______________

Can I have an AMEN!!

I agree with the comment of it being thrown in as just a wildcard to create more attention for it. Who on here cares what People Magazine has to say? Most of the males here would, if they even saw it, see all of the gorgeous women, say "Wow, she's hot." Put the magazine down and never see it again. But now, this thread has 30 posts, hundreds of views, etc.

See, it worked :^o

Now, where's a picture of a guitar [angry]

Great post, interesting topic.

That mag was pulling the PC card, also pulling the controversy card.

Sure, the anorexic models are no better as health goes, than a XXXL actress, but the standards have been set. Underweight and thin is in. It is hypocritical for them to fill a magazine with waifs and six-packs and throw in a single example of their polar opposite. This sort of thing turns heads.

Far as I'm concerned, if you're willing to compromise your health for looks and throw your food up, or decide that you're pretty as you are even if you are an overweight chain-smoker, you deserve the health complications. As a nurse, I thank you for your business in advance.

Great post' date=' interesting topic.

That mag was pulling the PC card, also pulling the controversy card.

Sure, the anorexic models are no better as health goes, than a XXXL actress, but the standards have been set. Underweight and thin is in. It is hypocritical for them to fill a magazine with waifs and six-packs and throw in a single example of their polar opposite. This sort of thing turns heads.

Far as I'm concerned, if you're willing to compromise your health for looks and throw your food up, or decide that you're pretty as you are even if you are an overweight chain-smoker, you deserve the health complications. As a nurse, I thank you for your business in advance.

[/quote']

Izzy, interesting take on this subject.

I personally think many people are hypocrites when they rail against anyone who points out some physical characteristics of a person.

We ALL have something someone can make fun of, (hair color, race, teeth, bald, tall, short, skinny, fat, nose size, tattoos... ), and the list goes on indefinitely.

Also, we ALL acknowledge physical characteristics of people, and prefer one look over another. Many people prefer to date/marry young, fit, good-looking people, and choose not to date/marry overweight or underweight people, (or old people, our flabby people...etc.).

Even "Chubby Chasers" exclude thin people, and people in Hollywood cast young, thin people in movies, ads, etc. and exclude chubby, old or homely people, (then try to make amends by "honoring" the same people they shun!).

The good thing about being my age is that I'm comfortable in my own skin. I ain't gonna win any beauty contests, I ain't gonna get drafted by the NFL, and I ain't gonna be on the cover of Rolling Stone. I don't much mind people making fun of my height, weight, hair, (or lack thereof), intellect, or anything else.

And I suspect that actress that started this whole thread wouldn't give any of us the time of day, so her feeling aren't very important to me.

^ Again, I don't disagree with much of what you say....It's not the pointing out of the characteristic I find uncouth - its the jokes and insults. I just don't think we consider the emotional impact these "jokes" or "comments" have on these folks nearly enough. I have things people could make fun of...and I am pretty comfortable in my own skin too, but I still dont like it when i hear someone make jokes at my expense. Whatever the physical characteristic, the jokes hurt. Yes there are some people

I just don't think that because someone has something that they could be made fun of about, they should be made fun of...I find it insensitive. That is all.

• Like 1

^ Again' date=' I don't disagree with much of what you say....It's not the pointing out of the characteristic I find uncouth - its the jokes and insults. I just don't think we consider the emotional impact these "jokes" or "comments" have on these folks nearly enough. I have things people could make fun of...and I am pretty comfortable in my own skin too, but I still dont like it when i hear someone make jokes at my expense. Whatever the physical characteristic, the jokes hurt. Yes there are some people

I just don't think that because someone has something that they could be made fun of about, they should be made fun of...I find it insensitive. That is all.

[/quote']

I guess we just grew up in different times. I grew up with kids making fun of me, (and most others), we just weren't on a hair-trigger to get offended by the insults. We gave it back, if we could.

I remember when I was in college, I gave a speech on "ethnic humor", (was really just an excuse to tell some jokes). The instructor warned me that she was Portugese. I told her, don't worry, I'll talk slowly!

There have been some interesting studies about what people consider "attractive" that have gone well beyond physical shape, racial attributes, etc., and seem to suggest that there are commonalities that transcend a lot of those factors.

I'll admit that I do not find that person very attractive at all, but the physical shape ain't what does it.

I don't see "life" in the face. It may be in other photos; she may be an exceptional actress who can add or subtract that sort of quality. One might see it in person; I don't see it in a photo.

"Attractive" also need not mean "beautiful" in much of any sort of definition.

I remember watching an elderly, outa shape, arthritic and creasy-faced lady being helped onto a stage at Blues Alley in Memphis before Beale Street was reinvented some 20 years ago.

By most definitions of "beauty," she wasn't.

But attractive? You were drawn to her face, her voice... Yes. Absolutely. Unquestionably. Alive; magnetic...

m

Maybe thats why we have so many older adults on so much prescription antidepressants these days lol!!!!

Just kidding...i understand your point of view...I don't think all people are on a hair trigger to get offended either for the record... i do think it depends on the delivery of said joke....tongue in cheek vs mean...ya know?

Maybe thats why we have so many older adults on so much prescription antidepressants these days lol!!!!

Just kidding...i understand your point of view...I don't think all people are on a hair trigger to get offended either for the record... i do think it depends on the delivery of said joke....tongue in cheek vs mean...ya know?

Indeed...and I think some people look for every opportunity to be offended just to blow the whistle on someone. Like Shred said, sometimes it is done to be malicious and other times it is merely in jest. We all need to learn to laugh at ourselves.

I don't remember who said it earlier, but guys look at the list like, "she's hot...she's hot...she's ok...ew...done." I am not sure what the point of those issues is. I guess get your name out there. I'm sure the list is made by the same people who call "Avatar" the best movie of all time. Gag me.

ShredAstaire, I'll admit that I was a little naive in thinking this thread wouldn't turn into just a string of fat jokes. I just heard this story on my way into work yesterday, and was bored at work (its been pretty dead lately) so wanted to see what other's opinions were on this.

I listen to Howard Stern a lot and find it funny how many people in mainstream media share the same opinion as him until he expresses it on the air, than everyone changes their story.

Let's face it, this girl is obese, and if the people around her aren't pushing her to do something about it, then they aren't doing her any favors. And if they are, this "nomination" or whatever you call it, isn't helping their cause at all.

ShredAstaire' date=' I'll admit that I was a little naive in thinking this thread wouldn't turn into just a string of fat jokes. I just heard this story on my way into work yesterday, and was bored at work (its been pretty dead lately) so wanted to see what other's opinions were on this.

I listen to Howard Stern a lot and find it funny how many people in mainstream media share the same opinion as him until he expresses it on the air, than everyone changes their story.

Let's face it, this girl is obese, and if the people around her aren't pushing her to do something about it, then they aren't doing her any favors. And if they are, this "nomination" or whatever you call it, isn't helping their cause at all.[/quote']

Just wondering and I'm not trying to be a smart a** but how do you know what the mainstream media opinion is?

Well....

<grin> If I may weigh in on this one...

My boss and in ways best friend for some dozen years was frequently referred to, and in theory without any intent to hurt but rather to describe for others, as "that little fat guy."

I know nothing ever was said in return; I know also it was hurtful in ways that many other terms might not be.

Ethnic humor in the old days tended to be pretty much universal. Jewish jokes by Jewish comics who could do the half-Yiddish thing in the Catskills and all-English in NYC or tv... German jokes even were in the newspaper comics.

I'll never forget a young black friend telling a bunch of "black" jokes and asking him if he had any "white" jokes and his response was, "Not really - white people aren't very funny." I thought that was kinda funny, myself.

But I think it's different when it gets individual. Yes, I think we are far, far too sensitive as a group in the modern world; but on the other hand, there's a line somewhere between "group funny" and "individually insulting."

If we'd get less sensitive and look for more humor among friendly folks... I think we'd all be better off... Laughter is, after all, among the best medicines known to mankind.

m