Gibson Brands Forums

Small Tube Amp Thoughts?

dokosan

There's plenty of options and other suggestions here (enough to make yr head swim!) but I'm gonna go ahead and put my 2cents in anyways-

If I were you (and I'm actually in quite a similar situation- I live in BK in a building with people on all sides) I would go down to Rivington Guitars and see what they have. They usually have a bunch of old, good, vintage amps at VERY decent prices. Although they're no longer on Rivington St.- I think they're on E. 3rd or something now- they'll let you plug in and play to see what's what.

They usually have a bunch of inventory on their website too so you can "cyber-browse" (or whatever the kids call it these days)

www.rivingtonguitars.com

• 1 month later...

Update. I found the AC4TV as return at 48th street Sam Ash on memorial day. Someone had returned it and it was missing the power cord so they sold it for only $160. It seems perfect for my needs in a NYC apartment. On the 4 watt setting it can play loud enough to annoy neighbors (don't play it that loud) and the 1/4 watt setting is great for creating distortion. The sound overall, but particularly the distortion, seems to much more organic than the Line 6 Spyder. It also seems to be a good match for my LPS (ebony with chrome hardware) as it seems to be fairly bright. In short, I can highly recommend this as nice small size, small wattage all tube practice amp.

Also, off topic but my friend loaned me his American Deluxe Strat as I've been having dreams of adding such a guitar. It plays beautifully but I just can't get that tone/roar that the LP delivers. Good experience as I don't feel a need to run out and buy a Strat. Maybe an acoustic next (probably a Martin as I am a John Frusciante fan).

I'm looking around for a small tube amp as well and I'm interested in Blackstar Ht-5. they say really good things about it.

Aye that's a good amp, my choices were between that and the Peavey Classic 30...i went with the Peavey and I'm really glad I did...Got mine for 287$ off Ebay....seriously check it out you wont be dissapointed

Does anyone have experence with the Bugera 22? I have never played one, but for an all tube 1-12 for $349 with

footswitch is hard to pass up unless they are bad. Anyone?

I did hear a side by side to a VOX ACX15 and I thought the VOX was much better but its also another $400 or so.

Does anyone have experence with the Bugera 22? I have never played one' date=' but for an all tube 1-12 for $349 with

footswitch is hard to pass up unless they are bad. Anyone?

I did hear a side by side to a VOX ACX15 and I thought the VOX was much better but its also another $400 or so.[/quote']

I was tempted by the Bugera 'til I found out their parent company was Behringer.

Hughes & Kettner do an Edition Blue 15R for $180 (122 UK sterling). Although it's a solid-state, I heard one the other day & they're great sounding especially the clean option...

I would not argue' date=' because I've never owned one. But anyway - it doesn't have an attenuator and it probably sounds better at higher volumes. So for practicing at home (I too live in an apartment with neighbors all around) the VOX will be better.[/quote']

Just keep in mind an attenuator is not all that in some cases. The sweet sounding overdriven valve amp is not just the sound coming from the valves, but also from the break up of the speaker. Often times and overdriven amp using an attenuator can sound very buzzy and toneless IMHO. I also have an AC4TV, both 10" and 8" speaker version as well as the Marshall Class 5. For heavy, jazz fusion, hard rock kinda tone, I prefer the Class 5. For clean blues tone, I prefer the AC4TV without the attenuator enabled.

Marshall Class 5:

Vox AC4TV:

I was tempted by the Bugera 'til I found out their parent company was Behringer.

Hughes & Kettner do an Edition Blue 15R for $180 (122 UK sterling). Although it's a solid-state' date=' I heard one the other day & they're great sounding especially the clean option...[/quote']

Seriously??

My local Pawn Shop has one of those for $50.00

are they really that good?

Right, its SS so I just kept walking.

Archived