Gibson Brands Forums

Strap recommendations?

GibsonLP1960V3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutley swear by these straps, and are my personal favorite for any gutiar....made with real memory foam, and suade leather, its the the most comfortable strap I have ever worn, and seen.. BETTY GUITAR STRAPS!!! http://www.monocase.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=8&idproduct=42 Everyone i have shown mine to (i have smoke) has immediately gone out and bought one...Check em out guys and i bet you wont be dissapointed. [thumbup]

gs1_group_400px.jpg

Well this is a popular topic, and there are about as many answers as there are guitarists. While I love some of the straps I've seen recommended, I have to say, I don't generally spend the money on them. Not that I want a sub-standard strap, far from it. But I don't think it necessary to spend 40, 50 or over a hundred dollars to get a quality strap that'll last, and hold your guitar.

I've bought 8 guitars in the last 12 months ( [scared] ), and I get a dedicated strap for each (hate taking a guitar somewhere and having to remember "the" strap, one in each case pocket is the way I roll).

I recently bought this one for the Robot Les Paul Jr. Special, and though she's a bit heavy, it seems to work really well. Check that price (it included shipping!). Can't get a better deal I doubt. On top of that, the length is one of the longer ones I've gotten (I'm a bit heavy, and it takes a longer strap to wear the guitar as low as I'd prefer). I just ordered one like it in brown ($1 more) for the Gold Top 50's Tribute I have coming.

Others I've bought include this one (using for my Clapton Stratocaster). Again, check that price (note free shipping again).

And I bought this one for the white American Standard Stratocaster. At the time I think it was on sale for about $18 or $19 with free shipping (might have been a different Seller). I've bought others for a few dollars more, but these are the best deals I've gotten for straps recently.

One of these is on my American Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (not sure if it was the same Seller, price w/shipping is about the same).

Just got this one and put it on Linda Lu, the Honeyburst 50's Tribute LP. It's really heavy duty, and the holes hold the buttons very tightly (at least so far). Could be a bit longer for my tastes, I prefer 52 inches or so hole to hole, and it's 52" end to end (about 1 inch short for me). But the quality is there.

As for strap locks, I hope I don't pay a price for this, but I'm not a fan. I know I check gigging musicians guitars at the blues clubs I frequent, and the mix is about half and half, maybe a bit more than half that use them. I have a set or two of Schallers around here, and may end up putting them on the Les Pauls, but I hate changing strap buttons on my guitars. I used them years ago on one of my Stratocasters. Right up until one day in the middle of a heavy playing session, the back one popped off, and I very nearly dropped the guitar. Now, I may not have had it secured properly. But we'd been playing for maybe a half hour, and I'd thought it secure.

I've not yet experienced one of my straps popping off a Lester while playing (I do carefully check the orientation of both ends when I put it over my head, when the back end spins it can strip it off the button easily). If I do experience that, and especially if it happens more than once, I may well reverse my position on strap locks, but for now, I prefer to keep the stock buttons mounted.

Maybe I'll try some of those plastic or rubber washers or clips that go over the stock buttons to lock them on... that seems like a decent alternative!

ETA: Ordered a few sets of the rubber washers.

Where can you get them from?

Got them on eBay (found in a search under strap locks). Got here Sat. but I just noticed them today. First impressions, looks like they'll work great on my Strat with a thinner leather strap, but the strap I have on the Honeyburst 50's Tribute is too thick to make them usable on that. I'll try on the other Les Pauls that all have thinner straps. Watcg this space, I'll edit in an answer later tonight.

Oops. There was only one Seller, he has nothing listed right now. This was the auction I bought from. I did leave him feedback and also messaged him asking if he'd be getting more (I want to get 3-4 more sets to try on other guitars). I now have one on my Reissue Strat, one on the Airline and one on the Gold Top (All but the Gold Top happened to be out in the rack at the moment). They are very secure on the first two, not sure they're going to work that well for the Les Pauls, even the thinner strap on the Gold Top is not as secure as the others. Going to try them on the Classic Antique tomorrow. I am going to try some of those Dunlop twist locks next and see how they work, I may yet end up with Schallers on the Les Pauls. [confused]

Thanks T Bone. I'll keep a look out for some more like them. They are handy when you have a guitar with no strap locks. They work and are cheap and easy to install.

I've tried those Dunlop twist locks and they weren't very good. Hard to get them to stay locked on my Les Paul. I suspect the ones you have are better.

Thanks T Bone. I'll keep a look out for some more like them. They are handy when you have a guitar with no strap locks. They work and are cheap and easy to install.

I've tried those Dunlop twist locks and they weren't very good. Hard to get them to stay locked on my Les Paul. I suspect the ones you have are better.

Got a response from the Seller today, in part it reads "Keep a look out for more; probably some time this week".

I prefer cloth straps as opposed to leather or nylon. It makes the strap less likely to slip on my shoulder (in my experience)

+1. I bought a different Levy's cotton strap for all my guitars. They're great quality, and my final investment for all 4 of them was less than $60.

For all you mod's out there and those who like handmade guitar straps. I only buy couch guitar straps now. They use car seatbelts and old fabric from Ford Mustangs and cadillacs. Also their vegan/cruelty free (Which is really good in my book). There made longer than the average strap aswell so you can go reeeeeeal low. I bought a loverly Gold paisley one the other day, to go with my soon to arrive (hopefully) 50's tribute goldtop

stgold-3_03_LRG.jpg

If you love beat or psych stuff,I can't recommend these straps enough.

Gx

I love these straps! And the price looks pretty decent.

Gx, do you use any other styles? Are they comfortable? I am considering ordering a few. [thumbup]

I've also got a racing strip one (white with black line), their comfortable because their quite thick, I think there really really well made and strong. You won't be disappointed. You get a hand made strap for a pretty good price.

Archived