Gibson Brands Forums

Another Robot LP Gibson?

Andre S

Now here they go if several years ago before all the heartache and jokes about robots was born I would have bought that. Still somewhat tempted the ability to change tuning on the fly and some of the cool factor in a guitar I might actually want someday after the electronics have all died. [biggrin]

Ive got a Robot now that is based on the Studio that is a wonderful guitar but I have to ask myself if I would have gone for the Standard version if it was also available at the time.

I do like the frills on the Standard but is the extra cash worth it? In my situation with a robot already, I would have to say no. I've got a the prettyness factor on my R0.

kinda looks like the Dark Fire and Dusk Tiger had a fling...

pretty though.

Much better than the dark fire and dusk tiger.

Wonder whats up with the knobs though?

2 black with silver inserts

1 black

1 MCK?

Why not 3 black with silver inserts

and 1 MCK

I know there is a lot of opposition to the robots here but I think I like this one.

I like the whole p90 humbucker combo. That thing looks like a gig master to me. I switch between tunings in my band and this would actually be very convinient.

I saw it featured on the Gibson homepage and for once I was interested enough to scan the blurb.

I'm certain it would be able to produce pretty much any tone anyone could ever need and I find it a hell of a lot easier on the eye than any of the Robot systems previously offered (although being a boring ol' fart I'll admit I'd prefer the look of a standard pair of p-ups).

I like the bridge and tail-piece redesigns, too (Gibson say each string has it's own individual piezo p-up in each bridge saddle. Why? Does this make a big difference?).

I'm not sure why they use 'Standard' in the name - it borrows design cues from both the Standard and the LP Custom - but perhaps they feel 'Standard' will appeal more to the public.

Wonder whats up with the knobs though?

2 black with silver inserts

1 black

1 MCK?

Why not 3 black with silver inserts

and 1 MCK

That's exactly what I was thinking! : it's not that changing one knob would be that difficult - but why did they do it like that at all? It's not as if we'd need a constant reminder of which one was the tone knob!

Still; if you don't mind all the electronic stuff I'd give it a hearty thumb's up.

Nothing wrong with all that robot stuff... I'm still lovin' mine, it's the guitar I use most hands down... Never had a problem with it in the three years... I broke a couple high E strings but thats about it...

Lestersandwitch.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Nothing wrong with all that robot stuff... I'm still lovin' mine' date=' it's the guitar I use most hands down... Never had a problem with it in the three years... I broke a couple high E strings but thats about it...

[img']http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Daveinspain_PB/Lestersandwitch.jpg[/img]

Leftside.jpg

Wait. I thought people had all sorts of problems with theirs? A friend of mine said he used to have a Robot LP Studio and it stopped working??

Don't they read the instruction manual or something? :-k

First pic, I would take the one in the middle anyday

...(Gibson say each string has it's own individual piezo p-up in each bridge saddle. Why? Does this make a big difference?).

Yes' date=' a hexaphonic pickup can be used to process the signal from ecah string separately. I assume that the electronics in this one is the same as in the DF and DT which would mean it can interface with "13-pin" equipment like guitar synths, guitar to MIDI converters, fan out boxes etc..

DJ

--

Yes' date=' a hexaphonic pickup can be used to process the signal from ecah string separately. I assume that the electronics in this one is the same as in the DF and DT which would mean it can interface with "13-pin" equipment like guitar synths, guitar to MIDI converters, fan out boxes etc..

DJ

--

Thanks for the clarification, DrJustice.

I assumed there must be a good reason they'd go to all that trouble!

I actually paid less for my Dark Fire than I did for my 08 standard. i did send the DF back to Gibson for a firmware update right after i bought it, and i've had no issues with it at all.

it's a really nice guitar actually.

i imagine that even if for some reason ALL the electronics died in it, it would still be a really nice guitar.

df1.jpg

df2.jpg

cheers,

Don

Hey Don,

dumb question, but can you bypass all the robot stuff and just play the DF as a normal guitar? Seeing yours makes me all GASsy. I think it's such a sexy guitar. I'd like one of those (assuming it can be played as a regular guitar) or a Les Paul GT.

Hey Don' date='

dumb question, but can you bypass all the robot stuff and just play the DF as a normal guitar? Seeing yours makes me all GASsy. I think it's such a sexy guitar. I'd like one of those (assuming it can be played as a regular guitar) or a Les Paul GT.[/quote']

absolutely! you just plug it into an amp with a regular 1/4" cable, and you're good to go.

the main benefit of the electronics on board, in my opinion, is not the self tuning: it is the hex pickup and piezo blend features. but again these are not essential for operation as a regular guitar at all.

cheers,

Don

absolutely! you just plug it into an amp with a regular 1/4" cable' date=' and you're good to go.

the main benefit of the electronics on board, in my opinion, is not the self tuning: it is the hex pickup and piezo blend features. but again these are not essential for operation as a regular guitar at all.

cheers,

Don [/quote']

HELL YEAH...piezo...I'm on board. I just need about $2,500 now. I saw a few on ebay. Might be a while though...already got a new guitar this year.

Archived