Gibson Brands Forums

Shingles, not the ones you put on the roof

dleth

Hi All,

This is a general discussion area so I thought I'd throw this out.

Does anyone have experience with shingles? I'm into 15 weeks now and I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Sore in the location of the shingles (back and chest) all the time. simetimes worse than others. I've gotten pretty good at tolerating it so that most people wouldn't notice a problem, but it wears the crap out of me.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Some of the prescriptions' to treat this have side effects which can include heavy depression, thoughts of suicide...

Man, that is worse than the problem.

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Dave

My experience seemed to be linked to stress, and pretty mild and brief in comparison.

Once at 18, and again in my late twenties during a divorce.

By the time I got to the doctor they were clearing up on their own, so no Rx.

Coupla weeks they were gone.

I've heard horror stories like yours, months and months with extensive symptoms.

Been lucky I guess.

My mom got a shingles last year. Luckily for her she had also gotten a shingles shot so I wouldn't have been so serve if she had not gotten it. (Yes she is over 60 and yes you can get shingles at any age through your doctors office just an FYI).

Dave , If the meds are that bad stop taking them. and get something else. If the side -effects are worse than the problem .... Try another Dr.

Most of them are not worth a rats a$$. I have dealt with many.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Stress and low immunity can cause them.

My gramma has them so bad year round she's looking into getting numbing surgery (nerve deadening).

She got them because of her super-low immunity.

Maybe you should pretend you're about to get a cold and up your intake of zinc and vitamin C.

Meds for shingles are not good for the body...which is such a shame.

If it ain't a cure I'd not risk it.

Take your meds and do what the doctor says. They make a cream that you can put on there that has a pain med in there. Cool baths.

You can try the meds to see how the side effects are and get a feel for whether they're going to freak you out.

Good luck and hang in there.

I have Celiac Disease and if I go off my diet I get Shingles, IT SUCKS. I feel your pain, fortunately my Dr.

gave me some meds that get rid of it in about 5-7 days.

I get it on my face, ear and scalp and its hard to describe the pain.

Good Luck, if I still have the medicine I'll post the name

You can get a 'shot' for shingles? What? is it a vaccination?

My dad had shingles due to stressing over his sister's poor choice of a live-in boyfriend. Auntie was in her 60's at the time. I don't know how long it took Dad to get over it.

She finally wisened up a couple years ago, sold her home and moved closer to her family. She still makes poor friend choices, but at least she's closer to Dad so he can keep an eye on her.

Dirt bag live-in BF died last fall. Nobody cared.

I've heard that shingles is a re-flare up of chicken pox.

Yes, shingles is a re-flare up of the chicken pox virus and adults usually get it when their immune system is compromised. From what I know stress is the number one cause. Out breaks vary by person. One cat I knew got them after a weekend of bumping rails and doing speed. Got them up his side and he said they hurt like a MF. Compared it to getting whacked with a wire brush. Another friend got them up his back and on his head. Pain was so bad they put him on pain killers. My drummer is just getting over a small outbreak on his waist. His MD put him on an anti-viral which cleared it up, but he said it made him kind of dopey.

My advice if the Rx meds are not working is to seek out an apothecary and get some homeopathic treatments to at least make you more comfortable. And as was recommended, treat this like you have the flu since both are viral. Zinc is good. Take a multivitamin every day. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. And research what herbs & spices (garlic, oregano, green tea) are anti viral and eat those. Lastly, get plenty of rest.

Hope you feel better soon!

Archived