Gibson Brands Forums

Seeks Vehicular Advice from the Wise

Izzy

So my old Kia Rio hit 100k miles and as if on Q it dun died on meh...had to be repaired, but before I have more repair bills pile up I'm going to get a more reliable car.

I seek your advice because I've narrowed it but keep going in circles between 3.

What I've realized:

1. I love hatchbacks 'cus they look cool but also 'cus they're functional (you can load them but the MPG isn't bad).

2. I can't have my dream hatch (Rabbit or a GTI) because they're expensive to repair and I've heard they aren't reliable.

3. Honda is reliable but the fit is kind of...ugly? Why can't they still make Civic Hatchbacks?!?!?!?!

The choices:

1. Mazda3 sedan with awesome trim 2008.

2. Mazda3 hatch decent trim 2009.

I don't ever haul stuff but there are times I wish I had cargo space. Will it be lame if I give up on my hatch fixation and get the Bose sound system with leather seats? Are Mazdas even reliable?

My third option is a 2009 awesome trim hatch, best of both but I'll have to pay about 4k extra including tt&l.

I'd feel a bit guilty indulging, though. I know I'll keep it 'till it kicks the bucket and I have a stable job but what if....?

Votes????

We have a 2001 Mazda 323 Protege (in Passion Red!) with 1.6l motor and 5 speed manual transmission.

We enjoy driving it and it has been very reliable - although it does spend most of its life in the garage, is regularly serviced and is driven less than 10,000 km per annum.

We bought it because it offered good quality at a reasonable price with low ongoing costs. We have no plans to dispose of it anytime soon.

RN

The Mazda 3 is a sweet little car. It gets impressive reviews from just about everybody and Mazda has good reliability ratings once you get away from the rotary engined cars. The hatch will be easier to load if you ever take your guitars someplace. I would think that leather in Houston is sort of iffy unless you have a garage or at least covered parking during the day. Not to mention it gets kinda sticky to sit on when the humidity and temperature are both over 90! I'd go with the cloth seats and the hatch. One of the complaints about the sedan is lack of cargo space. The other is that the base model is a bit of a slug with the automatic transmission - so get the stick if you can drive one.

My vote is for something completely different - a motorcycle.

I took care of a paraplegic the other day...motorcycle accident. Uncle lost leg in motorcycle crash.

I wish I could get over the fear but...I'mma go with a car. Can't haul your amp on a motorbike.

The chicks would dig it though....hmmm

In that case any of those Mazda's you mention would be a good buy, the Japs know how to make excellent vehicles. I wouldn't worry too much about a Bose sound system though, any stock car audio system would be just as good if not better.

If you're not mechanically minded get someone to examine the car before you buy.

Honda is probably the best game in town for reliability and a good dealer network.

Mazda still compares favorably, and would likely be a bit cheaper.

Parts & service may be a bit frustrating at times, since there are far fewer of them than Hondas.

Everybody I've ever known had good luck with both.

Shop thoroughly, buy carefully, and take yer lucky rabbit's foot with ya.

Are Mazdas even reliable?

Over here in the UK there is, annually, a survey carried out by one of the motor mags. Mazda almost always comes out in the top three in terms of reliability.

When I had to buy something practical after the birth of our daughter I looked at the various options open and ended up with a used Mazda 323 V6. In five years the only things needing attention have been one handbrake caliper, one clutch-change at 100,000 miles and the silencer (muffler I think you say) rear box.

Can't really fault it at all.

It's probably just a little bit boring (although the V6-part of it is fun).

Hey Izzy

I have leather in the Benz and cloth in the Jeep. I like the cloth seats.

The cloth aren't cold in the winter and sticky or hot in the summer.

As far as the Bose all their good qualities are canceled out by road and

car noise. Mazda's are good cars and real sharp looking.

CW

This is exacly why I consulted ya'll!!!

Leather being too hot here in Houston should have been a no brainer...but it hasn't gotten to that season yet, so I didn't consider it.

The bose not being as important to ya'll is also a good point. Hell, I walk to work, not like I'll use it more than 3 days a week.

To the mazda owners, thank you for letting me know you've had a good experience. Now I feel WAY more comfortable about getting this make.

We all know Honda is the staple for reliability, but I couldn't find a recent honda civic si hatch to save my life. Mazda will do.

Looks like I'm going with the silver Mazda3 sport hatch [biggrin]

On a side note, using a slide had always been a mystery to me but the other day I watched a Rory G video where he tuned his guitar just before a song...I tuned mine to match his and it sure made a difference. I still don't know how to sound cool, but I sound less horrible xD Okay, that was random :-

On a side note' date=' using a slide had always been a mystery to me but the other day I watched a Rory G video where he tuned his guitar just before a song...I tuned mine to match his and it sure made a difference. I still don't know how to sound cool, but I sound less horrible xD Okay, that was random [blink']

Random's good!

As is Rory's slidework. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it. I'm still far too crap at slide to admit to having tried!

For me cars is machinery, trim be darned.

Never be a 'looks' buyer. If it doesn't work for you, pass it by. If you can't get beyond the 'looks' part of it. Never, ever let the salesman know 'bling is your thing.' They will sell you the coolest looking piece of crap in the back lot. Some of the worst deals, on cars, I've seen had pristine sheet metal, owing to being southern cars.

The FIT is a great little vehicle. Cargo space that rivals my minivan. My daughter's is a four door. Great for getting the chillun's in the back. If there is the remotest possibility you may have to haul children in the next 5 - 10 years, you DO NOT want a 2 door.

I agree with you on the motor sickles: There is a reason those hats motor cycle riders wear are called "Brain Buckets."

For me cars is machinery' date=' trim be darned.

Never be a 'looks' buyer. If it doesn't work for you, pass it by. If you can't get beyond the 'looks' part of it. Never, ever let the salesman know 'bling is your thing.' They will sell you the coolest looking piece of crap in the back lot. Some of the worst deals, on cars, I've seen had pristine sheet metal, owing to being southern cars.

The FIT is a great little vehicle. Cargo space that rivals my minivan. My daughter's is a four door. Great for getting the chillun's in the back. If there is the remotest possibility you may have to haul children in the next 5 - 10 years, you DO NOT want a 2 door.

[/quote']

hehe, if I was going for looks alone I wouldn't have started the thread. I asked the girls at work and literally heard, "get the silver one, it's cute" with big eyes all glazed.

I gave consideration only to reliable cars. I read and read reviews in usautoranking and looked over federal crash info. This is why Honda and Mazda made the top of my list. I am going to test drive the fit on my way to the Mazda dealer in case they give me a good deal, but I'm still a girl and...damnit, I do turn my head when I see a hot little number on the road. I feel shallow now, thanks [biggrin]

Get ya yourself a mini- cooper. :-

I looked at them - $$$$$$$$$

Even the used ones.

$27k starting price is too much money for a car that small - for me anyhow.

Very cool little car though - especially with a turbo.

[biggrin]

I looked at them - $$$$$$$$$

Even the used ones.

$27k starting price is too much money for a car that small - for me anyhow.

Very cool little car though - especially with a turbo.

;)

I'm taking this opportunity to say, awesome pic, Neo. Love that movie.

The Minis are awesome looking but expensive. Good re-sale value but re-sale value means nothing to me 'cus I plan on driving my car to the ground and then passing it down to younger family. I mean, even just the tires on a mini are scary $. If I had the $ for a cooper I'd just get my beloved GTI.

A little 84 Mazda pickup ran exceptionally well for years and years. That was a four-banger and stick shift. Not terribly powerful, but it worked. And worked. And worked. The one weakness to that particular model was the head gasket. Oddly there was an easy "fix" that ook care of it.

As for four-door vehicles - I've had sports cars with and without "tops," 2-door full size old-style US cars, four-doors, station wagons, pickups, SUVs....

If possible regardless of the rest of the style, I'd go with the four-door, especially if you're hauling practical guitar small gig stuff. It's easier than the trunk or even the back of an SUV and IMHO, less likely to slide through the back window of a smaller hatchback. I never had that latter happen, but it came awfully close once in the days I had a small 4-door hatchback and put a batch of gig gear in the back end. Since then the seats stayed up in the back and whatever could fit, went there.

m

I have a 2002 Subaru Impreza, I love my car and it's quite reliable, however being that you're somewhere where I suspect there's no snow there's no reason for you to shell out extra for an awesome all-wheel drive system in a hatch or sedan.

The Mazda 3 is a sweet little car. It gets impressive reviews from just about everybody and Mazda has good reliability ratings once you get away from the rotary engined cars. The hatch will be easier to load if you ever take your guitars someplace. I would think that leather in Houston is sort of iffy unless you have a garage or at least covered parking during the day. Not to mention it gets kinda sticky to sit on when the humidity and temperature are both over 90! I'd go with the cloth seats and the hatch. One of the complaints about the sedan is lack of cargo space. The other is that the base model is a bit of a slug with the automatic transmission - so get the stick if you can drive one.

You're fine with any mazda, and the only time you'll have trouble with the Rotary is in a boosted application like my old 93 Rx7 twin turbo (hence the 7 at the end of all my forum names), that thing was unreliable as hell but I sure did love it. Rotaries previous to that wankel regularly get 300k miles before needing a full overhaul. They are truly great engines as a whole, and so simplistic.

Archived