Gibson Brands Forums

Not a big fan...

jimmiJAMM

of sports. Sorry.

I mean, I'll watch the Superbowl, World Series, US Open, Olympics, etc. but in general I couldn't really care a less. Not one of those guys who's constantly up on every damn score. I'd rather get laid or play guitar. When I watch the news and they say, "up ahead in sports" I usually turn the channel. Is it a musician thing? When I was in high school there were the burnouts and the jocks.

All the time so many people spend on sports, scores, stats, etc.... I spend on politics.

Most people don't care at all.

The only "sports" I care for are some of the races.

NHRA is by far my favorite.

Formula One is pretty cool when I can catch it.

Pretty much any sort of bike racing, road courses, motocross.

I usually watch the Superbowl, and maybe a couple football games during the season - that's it for me.

Been an extreme sporter all of my life till I had this serious accident in 2002 which changed my life entirely since I couldn't perform in competition anymore...I continued with that other big love, playing guitars,...and guess what...I totally abandonned sports and the interest for sports...I call this 'weird'!:-k

Eh

Same here, I mean I'll watch the games and I know who I want to win, and if they make a last minute winning play Ill cheer n all but...

Not a huge deal to me.

Same thing with DVW my life got taken over by my guitars :-k

of sports. Sorry.

I mean' date=' I'll watch the Superbowl, World Series, US Open, Olympics, etc. but in general I couldn't really care a less. Not one of those guys who's constantly up on every damn score. [b']I'd rather get laid [/b]or play guitar. When I watch the news and they say, "up ahead in sports" I usually turn the channel. Is it a musician thing? When I was in high school there were the burnouts and the jocks.

You'd rather get laid then watch sports? Really? Gee, that's a unique perspective, I'm sure.

(If you'd rather watch sports than get laid you have a real problem).

You'd rather get laid then watch sports? Really? Gee' date=' that's a unique perspective, I'm sure.

(If you'd rather watch sports than get laid you have a real problem).

[/quote']

May sound strange but a coworker that got divorced recently told me her ex-husband made sure the hotel on their honeymoon had ESPN....also any other hotel where they ever went on vacation.

I watch the casual football game and definitely the playoffs for football and baseball. I am not interested in how much a player makes, stats, trades all of the sh!t that sports fans pride themselves in knowing.

I personally know a guy who's obsession with sports destroyed his marriage too. He'd come home from work and watch sports, sports,sports and never payed enough attention to his wife. He also invested in sports memorabilia (baseballs, signed boxing gloves, etc.) and spent tons of money on the stuff. They got divorced.

Ever listen to a "sports interview?" For me, that's "Nuf said!" But, I have family, that you don't go

to "visit" with, during any sports activity, esepcially televised Football, or Basketball...as they won't

carry on any conversation (except yelling, at the TV regarding what's going on in the game), and...

even in the commercials, they recap what they just saw, etc. I'm still amazed, at this...decades

later. It's amusing, at best, and frustrating as Hell, if you want any social interaction, with them,

during your visit. So, I don't go over there, on "game days!" ;>b LOL!

CB

My oldest brother was a high school football coach for over 20 years and my other brother got a full football scholarship to Hofstra University, defensive back. Watching a game with those two is just too much. It's like they're speaking another language. Back and fourth they go about what play they should've run or how this or that guy wasn't covering his man...

I learned years ago I'm better off just knocking back a few beers and keeping my mouth shut.

I used to be big on sports, now it has become kind of a background interest. Music has enthralled me.

I hate the people that HAVE to know every single little fact. Some of the most interesting commentary that goes on is in baseball, my favorite sport, but honestly some of the stuff is "Did you know that this team has the best record out of all the teams when the weather is between 70-80 degrees on a clear sunny day, with a hint of wind blowing out on a Sunday when the sun is just peaking out behind clouds?" And the other commentator and fans can't get enough of this crap

Played baseball since tee ball all the way through high school, was going to play college ball but I decided to play football in high school and tore my pitching arm out of socket. Playing is great but watching it is boring to me.

I watch the casual football game and definitely the playoffs for football and baseball. I am not interested in how much a player makes' date=' stats, trades all of the sh!t that sports fans pride themselves in knowing.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm just about the same way. I'll watch when I feel like it or when it's an "important" game, but I'm just a casual fan and not an enthusiast in any way.

I'm mostly interested in football. I follow two leagues closely, our national top league and the premier league in England, and the champions league of course. I go to all homegames my hometown team plays in the national top league, everything else I just watch on TV. I watch other sports as well, but I'm not all that interested unless there is something special going on.

I can't say I find it all that time consuming. I have plenty of time left over to do other things.

I love playoff hockey, and I've indoctrined my girlfriend into it now, but regular season the only time I'll watch a game is if I'm eating a late supper, or hanging with the guys and flipping between that and Deadliest Warrior (When they're NOT doing ones with guns, that's so stupid)

I also love Rally Racing, and F1 Racing but I don't follow/watch near enough of it to call myself a fan.

I played lots of different sports when I was a kid, and I'd rather play them than watch them, but I never played hockey, maybe that's why I can watch it so easy.

Wrecked my ankle in grade 12 in a football game, I can walk fine now, but it definately would have been better if it had broken so they could reset it properly.

Oh, Golf, I love Golf, I love playing it more than watching it, but I probably watch more than I play, figure that one out. I'm actually trying to figure which career will allow me more time to play golf currently haha.

Oh' date=' Golf, I love Golf, I love playing it more than watching it, but I probably watch more than I play, figure that one out. I'm actually trying to figure which career will allow me more time to play golf currently haha.[/quote']

If you love golf, become a doctor. :)

Played a round at The Royal Colombo Golf Club in Sri Lanka back in 2003 and had my own caddie. That was pretty cool. Looking forward to the US Open next month. Wonder if Tiger will make the cut?

I'm thinking Lawyer or P.R guy, either way I'll be good.

As for Tiger I'm sick of hearing about him. I never liked him to begin with and while I understand what he did for golf in terms of changing its appeal, I can't stand how he acts like he's 5 on the golf course. He's got a responsibility to be a role model whether he likes it or not, and cursing, throwing your clubs, or not talking to your fellow golfers/fans is just a piss poor excuse of a man to begin with. He deserves what he got.

Yeah, he's become somewhat of an a$$. Sometimes success can go to your head. Unfortunately he let his little head do the thinking and it got him in deep trouble (pun intended). For a long time he was the best golfer in the world. He lost focus and let down a lot of fans for sure but let's not judge too harshly, he's human. Remember, we the public put these sports figures up on pedestals and then love to watch 'em fall.

It's true we do do that, but Tiger was ALWAYS like that, he was trained hard from a young age and he never grew up in my opinion. We all know that a large number of sports stars and celebrities are unfaithful to their loved ones, but most of them keep it on the downlow. Had he dialed it back a bit his legacy as one of the greatest technical golfers of all time was all but secured, but now he's just an overly intense golfer who diddled the ihop waitress. At least Veejay Singh isn't the most douchy golfer anymore, after that comment he made about women golfers and how they were only really qualified to "carry his golf bag"

Coincidentally did you know the name golf comes from the acronym "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"?

So the LPGA is the Ladies Professional Gentlemen only Ladies Forbidden" technically.

Actually, like most modern words, the word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots. The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf." By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.

Archived