Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster refinish/upgrade, Complete!

mooboo

I recently set out to refinish and upgrade a cheap Squire for the experience. I did a two tone sunburst and installed some custom wound Telecaster pickups. I'm looking for a new neck to replace the cheap Squire one.. What do you all think?

The original guitar:

4591009436_72dd0d5cae.jpg

Paint sanded off:

4590389207_72eae8bbe4.jpg

Binding channel routed:

4590389273_5e50c3fa5c.jpg

Binding being set:

4591009588_eb74c6c084.jpg

Scraping the binding glue:

4591009650_107f631187.jpg

Base stain:

4591009690_2d7d09165b.jpg

Sunburst painted (rattle can):

4590389505_9b3bdb7b07.jpg

Top binding scraped:

4591009816_6a0e00e9cb.jpg

First black coat, back and sides (trying my best to do thin coats to avoid runs!):

4590389663_49dfb95c95.jpg

Coat 2:

4590389699_716538f696.jpg

Final coat:

4591009988_fbbe62693e.jpg

Binding scraped:

4590389821_2a623d0ce2.jpg

Soldering in custom wound pickups:

4591010110_d77973f767.jpg

Fit and finished! Displayed next to the Les Paul, waiting on strings.

4590389957_51c5dd84a1.jpg

4591010294_4b7f5079ef.jpg

4590390173_a41fe6ee88.jpg

Nice craftsmanship but IMHO... Tele's suck.

It was worth a heck of a lot less than my Les Paul.. So it was the better option to learn on [razz] But thanks for the compliment... On the craftsmanship thing :)

Sweet dude! I love teles

It might look cooler with a white pickguard. Just my thoughts

I was considering it! Maybe even pearloid.. It depends on how it sounds when I get some strings on it [razz]

:) I'm stunned!

Awesome job on it! The finish turned out great!

Have fun with that' date=' man. I think it's awesome.[/quote']

Thanks man!

Nice job! Looks like a fun project.

What do you think of those cheap squire teles? I've read a lot of surprisingly positive reviews on them. I've been thinking about picking one up just to goof with.

Nice craftsmanship but IMHO... Tele's suck.

I just don't under stand a comment like this. You know how it makes you look?

That's one of the finest mods I've seen on here. I think it came out great.

How does the new Pup sound and what kind of a neck are you going to get?

Enjoy and if you do another I know we'd all like to see it.

CW

Man, you did a helluva job. I played my '91 Tele for a few years and almost got into them until the Gibson bug bit me again.

I'm very impressed.

I'd bet you could take an American made Carvin Bolt kit and turn it into one heckuva Super Strat.....

:-k

I just don't under stand a comment like this. You how it makes you look?

You how it makes you look?

Listen, pal, we're all welcome to our opinions here. Even you. He did an outstanding job with it but I personally don't care for Telecasters. Still confused? I... personally... don't... care... for... Telecasters.

You how it makes you look?

Listen' date=' pal, we're all welcome to our opinions here. Even you. He did an outstanding job with it but I personally don't care for Telecasters. Still confused? I... personally... don't... care... for... Telecasters.

[/quote']

Now you look even better.

CW

You did a fantastic job with that guitar. Congratulations.

How is the neck on it? my Squier 51 has a chuncky neck that is really comfortable and has a 1.65" nut width.

Some of the Squier Affinity line has really thin neck with a nut width of 1.62" basically unplayable to me.

Nice job! Looks like a fun project.

What do you think of those cheap squire teles? I've read a lot of surprisingly positive reviews on them. I've been thinking about picking one up just to goof with.

The squire Tele's really aren't that bad. I think I bought this one for $150 new. Totally worth it to have a different sound than the Les Paul. I would definitely spend the money if you are looking for a fun guitar' date=' or project like I took it. A pickup change is definitely in order, however. It sounds decent by itself, but put against an American Tele it's a Epiphone Les Paul Studio II:Gibson Les Paul Standard comparison..

How does the new Pup sound and what kind of a neck are you going to get?

Enjoy and if you do another I know we'd all like to see it.

CW

I can't test the pups because I don't have a set of strings! What an idiot I am! I didn't think I would finish it this weekend so I didn't mind to pick up a pair... I'll let you know/record a clip asap!

Neck wise I'm not sure.. Just a standard maple Fender neck would do me just fine. As to how I like the neck on there currently.....

You did a fantastic job with that guitar. Congratulations.

How is the neck on it? my Squier 51 has a chuncky neck that is really comfortable and has a 1.65" nut width.

Some of the Squier Affinity line has really thin neck with a nut width of 1.62" basically unplayable to me.

I very much dislike the neck on there currently. I'm so used to the Les Paul neck that this Tele Squire seems paper thin. It bends very easily, just with arm weight the guitar can become slightly out of tune. I am definitely looking for a thicker, Gibson(y) style neck.

Yeah, my objection to Fenders has to do with the necks. The Tele is a true sound option that some players can do marvels with. I wouldn't mind having one with a Gibbie-style neck myself. OTOH, I actually like thin necks - just with a relatively flatter fingerboard and wider nut.

The advantage to the Fender design obviously is the option to change out necks...

The project is very, very nice work. When you string 'er up, yeah, let's hear it.

m

That's real cool mooboo, I love the sound you can get outta some teles. a lot of the time tho I find its too "twangy" for my tastes.

Just curious' date=' is English your first language?

[/quote']

Don't be a d*ck man. Yeah we all fxck up (I do a lot) but do you need to make a snide little comment like that? Nope

Don't be a d*ck man. Yeah we all fxck up (I do a lot) but do you need to make a snide little comment like that? Nope

Snide comment? Before you chime in with your idiotic two cents, do your research first. He started with me and I simply replied in kind. If you have any sense yourself, you'll back the f**k off.

Snide comment? Before you chime in with your idiotic two cents' date=' do your research first. He started with me and I simply replied in kind. If you have any sense yourself, you'll back the f**k off.

[/quote']

I didnt really take the time and go back and look at either of your past erm shall we say issues.... Sorry man.

Man that's great[thumbup] love the finish and the binding. How did you do it? How long did it take?

I do believe I followed instructions at StewMac.. It took me about 3 months. Only because I started when the weather wasn't good for painting. Would probably take a month of weekends..

Archived