Gibson Brands Forums

How do I install the LAMe file for Audacity?

DAS44

First get it from the link on the Audacity web site. Then "install" it and remember where it was. <grin>

Now, pick up any sort of recording and go to save it as an MP3. With most versions of audacity I've used, it will say it can't find LAME, and do you want to find it.

Say yes, then go to wherever it was that you installed it. That tells Audacity where to find it - and you're cookin' with gas.

m

.......For the lame version I got........I have to drag and drop the file I want to convert right on the little icon I put on the desk top.

Then it runs in a DOS window and puts the mp3 file back where I draged it from.

Excuse my technology ignorance but how do you install the LAME for Audacity?

Excuse my technological ignorance....but what is LAME?

I have audacity and I don't think I have ever seen that.

Lame's the program bit that lets you convert to an MP3.

m

Oh...when I converted it to whatever type of file it has to be to play in RealPlayer I got a message that the file was corrupted.

Yeah, Realplayer is a whole 'nother thing and tends to take over your computer - or at least earlier versions did.

It should play with Windows Media Player.

Right click and use the "open with" and that should work with almost everything _except_ Realmedia files for the Realplayer.

Audacity should read most anything, although you may have to use the import function. I don't have it on this machine right now...

m

Okay, with LAME enabled, you should be able to mess with a file in Audacity and play it in the program itself.

If you can hear the file the way you want it, try saving it as a WAV file. That should also work with Windows Media Player.

If all you get from saving anything is white noise, it sounds to me there's some other factor intruding. I have noticed that Audacity 1.3 has some problems with my own machine saving into MP3. I tend to save as a WAV file, then mess with it.

m

Wait a second I was just fiddling around with it, trying what you guys said.

Turns out its an M4A file

Sorry, I should have checked instead of assuming it was an MP3

If it's already in mp3 format, just import the file directly to audacity from the player and go from there. You have to select a location to put the lame software, I put mine in "my files"...with the old 1.2.6 version, it downloaded lame automatically, I don't know why it doesn't with 1.2.10, which is what I have to use with Windows 7.

Okay, here's the problem. M4A is an Apple file extension that's similar to the MPG4 format

Do you have Quicktime? That may run it for you.

But unless you have a means to record from something playing this file - either directly from an audio stream on the Web or if the file would run in Quicktime - and then running through Audacity to slow it, you're not likely to have software to slow it down.

I think most browsers have ways to hook Quicktime. But then you'd need something to record from that. I have a program that does that on one computer that I've used a lot, but I can't recall off the top of my head if you can reset Audacity to record that way. It might. Not sure. It'd be in the prefs somewhere if it is.

On the other hand... can you get an MP3 file?

Me, I'd try to make a copy of the file and change the file extension to MP4 just for the heck of it. Or MOV.

m

Archived