Gibson Brands Forums

Went to guitar center.....

Hthomas

Well I went to guitar center for the first time in about a year. Went to play a egnater tweaker 15 but they didnt have it. So I played a Rebel 20 through the tweaker cab with the g12 in it. I think Im wanting a rebel 20 now. it had a great sound.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've tried out, I like the Rebel and the Tourmaster a lot. Whether they stand the test of time or if Egnater can keep up the quality over the next few years remains to be seen, but I like the tones the Tourmaster can spit out with no Modeling.

If like it and sounds great with your guitar, buy it.

Who cares weather you get it from Guitar Center or Mom and Pop store and as long as you like and can get a good deal that's all that matters.

I have a Rebel 20... I love this little amp! It'll be doing it's first live gig this coming Saturday night in a small club. I'll let you know how it stands up to live...

Just one thing you may want to consider.... The Rebel 30 may be a wiser choice. Aside from 10 more watts it also has built in reverb, 2 channels and a foot switch. It still has all the cool stuff the 20 has like tube type selection and combinations, adjustable 1 to 30 watts, FX loop...etc

I think having two channels, a clean and a dirty, is very important. The 30 wasn't available yet when I bought my Rebel 20, if it was I would have bought it. The good news is I already have the 2, 12" cabinets so all I need to do is buy the Rebel 30 head, I'll keep the 20 as a spare....

you may want to hold off till Memorial Day, there may be another 15 to 20 % discount coupon coming, they juat had a few the last few weeks and Egnator is a band that has always been included in those discounts. You may also try trading in a piece of gear, I traded in a cheap pedal for $5 and got 15% off the amp I bought. GC has a link on their site for the trade in coupon.

The problem isn't that the playing field isn't level, it's that people refuse to spend money on things. Consumers want the Made in USA/Germany/Canada label but in the end almost always choose cost over quality. It's only a matter of time before all the money China has creates a massive middle class and the manufacturing goes somewhere else and everyone will rail on whoever gets it next, all the while still buying stuff from wherever they're complaining about. It's a sad cycle.

The problem isn't that the playing field isn't level.

Yes....... it is.

Its now a world economy and China manufactures without the restrictions and strict legislation of its USA counterparts.

Add to this a cheap workforce and.......

Look around any dept. store and I'm not talking Wally World. I'm talking Macys, Penneys, etc. Its very difficult to find anything we make anymore.

Now that china owns us turning the tide back will be almost impossible.

Oh and this just in- more kids jewelry made in China was found to have large amounts of lead in it so its being recalled.

I'm sure it was just an accident/ oversight by the Chinese.

I prefer little shops to GC.

I prefer quality over price for the important stuff as well.

I'm not pretentious about most stuff, though.

I don't care about designer clothes or super-awesome cars (though I think they is purdy and I drool as they pass by), but day to day shoes gotta be the best (its a health expence, them New Balance sneakers), the guitar equip has to be **** (because its a LIFE investment), and you may as well have two awesome than four mediocre.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

The problem isn't that the playing field isn't level

Regarding CM's assessment of the "playing field" and it being level/plumb/square;

That's a very tired old phrase' date=' bastardized and morphed into any argument without merit.

It's another way for people to complain about something not being "fair"....

Life's not fair.

If somebody can make money off you, they will.

If you give it willingly, you can't complain.

I don't care how far the playing field is tilted, I REFUSE to buy Chinese guitars or amps - at any price.

That's why I earlier remarked "Hey, it's only a guitar, right?"

Not like it's a staple for your survival, so does it really matter where it comes from?

Damn right it does.

:)

When the American market has sufficiently abandoned quality guitars built by American hands, and all the jobs

at Gibson, Fender and PRS have been shipped to Asia to join all the other trades, who's to blame?

Fxck the playing field being level.

Put on your golf shoes/cleats, or maybe even grab some climbing gear, and get ready for some uphill climbs.

Buy American instruments and demand the quality/service you're paying for.

Same goes for your dealers - they will carry what they can sell, so look at what you're buying.

Or, just buy the cheapest sh!t you can find and don't worry what the future holds for nice guitars.....

When our currency has gone the way of Spain, Portugal, Egypt and Rome, when our economy has collapsed

and China is calling the shots for us here, it won't matter if you were buying Epiphone guitars.

You were buying everything else from China too, the guitar was just the final straw.

READ THE LABELS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET.

It's okay to buy Japanese cars, right?

I mean, is this about quality or making sure we buy American?

I go with quality no atter who makes it :)

America is all about services, not goods, I thought...

Guitar center is an American Company' date=' no? Last time I checked, it was Headquartered in Westlake Village, Ca. I know you HATE California and Californians, but it's still American.[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHA...very funny indeed and well played.

But in Neo's defence, the problem with GC is if you live in Arizona or New York and have a problem with GC, you might have to deal w/ someone in Cali. If you have a problem with your local Mom & Pop music store, you deal with them directly. I'm sure his beef lies with GC customer service and the lack of knowledge of the staff. I get that. Correct me if I'm wrong, Neo.

If GC has what I want, I'll buy it. Unfortunately the Mom & Pop stores disappeared. But they never carried anythinng good. Seriously, nothing but over priced crap. I remember one had Johnson LP copies for well over $500-$700. Way too much when they should be at least $100-$150 less.

I used to work for a Mom & Pop shop. It was THE BEST job I ever had. I used to take lessons at that stpore as a kid. That store is still there and they have good sh!t!!! Alexandria Music in Alexandria, VA.

Also, I buy Japanese cars (mine was assembled in Ohio). The 2 cars I had before my 2001 Honda Accord were a Ford and an Oldsmobile. The Olds died at 94k miles [biggrin]

Regarding CM's assessment of the "playing field" and it being level/plumb/square;

That's a very tired old phrase' date=' bastardized and morphed into any argument without merit.

It's another way for people to complain about something not being "fair"....

Life's not fair.

If somebody can make money off you, they will.

If you give it willingly, you can't complain.

I don't care how far the playing field is tilted, I REFUSE to buy Chinese guitars or amps - at any price.

That's why I earlier remarked "Hey, it's only a guitar, right?"

Not like it's a staple for your survival, so does it really matter where it comes from?

Damn right it does.

[biggrin]

When the American market has sufficiently abandoned quality guitars built by American hands, and all the jobs

at Gibson, Fender and PRS have been shipped to Asia to join all the other trades, who's to blame?

Fxck the playing field being level.

Put on your golf shoes/cleats, or maybe even grab some climbing gear, and get ready for some uphill climbs.

Buy American instruments and demand the quality/service you're paying for.

Same goes for your dealers - they will carry what they can sell, so look at what you're buying.

Or, just buy the cheapest sh!t you can find and don't worry what the future holds for nice guitars.....

When our currency has gone the way of Spain, Portugal, Egypt and Rome, when our economy has collapsed

and China is calling the shots for us here, it won't matter if you were buying Epiphone guitars.

You were buying everything else from China too, the guitar was just the final straw.

READ THE LABELS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET.

I think you misunderstand were I'm coming from Neo. I'm not making excuses for people buying foreign although I'm sure there are those less fortunate than you that may have to buy cheaper to fit into their current budget.

Frankly the reasons don't matter because its happening more and more and a world currency is the next step and that will supposedly solve all our problems.

Yeah sure.

If I buy an Epiphone does the money stay here? Just wonderin?

Archived