Gibson Brands Forums

Went to guitar center.....

Hthomas

I prefer little shops to GC.

I prefer quality over price for the important stuff as well.

I'm not pretentious about most stuff' date=' though.

I don't care about designer clothes or super-awesome cars (though I think they is purdy and I drool as they pass by), but day to day shoes gotta be the best (its a health expence, them New Balance sneakers), the guitar equip has to be **** (because its a LIFE investment), and you may as well have two awesome than four mediocre.

In the end, you get what you pay for.[/quote']

Different Strokes for different folks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guitar center is an American Company' date=' no?

Last time I checked, it was Headquartered in Westlake Village, Ca.

I know you HATE California and Californians, but it's still American.[/quote']

Makes no difference to me that Guitar Center is an American company - they still suck ***.

Look on the walls.

Where are 80% of the guitars made?

Yep, give your money to the one company who has destroyed the guitar retail business.

They'll keep buying more guitars to stock their stores from China.

Everybody loses.....

Oh, and I was BORN in California, remember?

[cool]

And concerning how much guitar one can afford....

I'm one of those funny people who will figure out a way to buy what I want - or keep my money.

When I first started shopping for a Les Paul, there was no way in hell I would have considered an Epiphone.

I bought two used LP Standards in ten years, before I finally spent the bucks on a new one in 2001.

Even used, I considered those old Standards to be REAL Les Pauls.

I waited years to get one instead of buying cheap imported imitations in the short term.

And to say that you MUST by an Epiphone because it's all you can afford?

Maybe you shouldn't be buying a guitar at all if another $500 is so impossible to scrounge together.

Might want to spend some more time honing your financial skills first....

I'm one of those funny people who will figure out a way to buy what I want - or keep my money.

When I first started shopping for a Les Paul' date=' there was no way in hell I would have considered an Epiphone.

I bought two used LP Standards in ten years, before I finally spent the bucks on a new one in 2001.

I waited years to get one instead of buying cheap imported imitations in the short term.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying a guitar [i']at all[/i] if another $500 is so impossible to scrounge together.

I'm not even talking guitars hoss. Lets says clothes for your kids, your TV, your Ipod, your computer.

Wasn't this thread about a Egnater head ? The Rebel 20 is a great head' date=' just depends on if you want to spend the extra $150 over the Tweaker.[/quote']

[biggrin]

But should the comment now go to: Buy the Rebel 20 because that is 150 less dollars going to China? :-k :-

Wasn't this thread about a Egnater head ?

The Rebel 20 is a great head' date=' just depends on if you want to spend the extra $150 over the Tweaker.[/quote']

Actually, the title of the thread is Went to guitar center.....

Maybe we should have a completely separate area on the forum for Guitar Center, eh?

Hey, the Robot/Dark Fires have one - even the Maestro junk from China.

:D/

I'm not even talking guitars hoss.

Lets says clothes for your kids' date=' your TV, your Ipod, your computer.[/quote']

I hear ya.

But I still read the labels and act accordingly - it's tougher everyday.

When I bought my Kawasaki 650 3 years ago, I was wishing I could buy American.

Looked at the KTMs from Europe - for 3 times the money....

Aw hell, Japanese isn't near as bad as China so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Bought the Kawasaki.

Turns out the bike was actually assembled where the tires were manufactured - Thailand!

Many of the parts on it are NOT from Japan.

Jeez....

Can't even buy Japanese anymore!

[biggrin]

I hear ya.

But I still read the labels and act accordingly - it's tougher everyday.

When I bought my Kawasaki 650 3 years ago' date=' I was wishing I could buy American.

Looked at the KTMs from Europe - for 3 times the money....

Aw hell, Japanese isn't near as bad as China so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Bought the Kawasaki.

Turns out the bike was actually assembled where the tires were manufactured - [i']Thailand![/i]

Many of the parts on it are NOT from Japan.

Jeez....

Can't even buy Japanese anymore!

[biggrin]

True dat.

Makes no difference to me that Guitar Center is an American company - they still suck ***.

Look on the walls.

Where are 80% of the guitars made?

Yep' date=' give your money to the one company who has destroyed the guitar retail business.

They'll keep buying more guitars to stock their stores from China.

Everybody loses.....

Oh, and I was BORN in California, remember?

:)

When I first started shopping for a Les Paul, there was no way in hell I would have considered an Epiphone.

Maybe you shouldn't be buying a guitar at all if another $500 is so impossible to scrounge together.

But who makes those Guitars hanging on the wall, Gibson and fender. American Companies that produce stuff Overseas, they're the ones giving our jobs away. Not to mention they are the ones that took their products out of the hands of the Mom and Pop stores. The "Real" Mom and Pop stores, not these Big Local companies that do the volume of business it takes to keep their Gibson and Fenders on the wall, but the little local stores that couldn't.

Before my local music store went out of business in the late 90's, they had no problem competing with GC. It was Fender and Gibsons demand for volume sales that took him out of the market. Ya wanna see Mom and Pop music stores make a comeback, talk to our two biggest guitar manufacturers. At least GC is employing Americans in large numbers, unlike Gibson or Fender.

And, tell me, does your favorite Big Local Dealer sell Import Models? I can't believe he's stayed in business without selling a few Squier Starter Packs.

As far as Living in Cali for the first few month of your life, that doesn't give you any right to openly hate a Population 37 million. Besides, why would anyone leave a Donor state to live in a Welfare state, oh yeah, it's called Easy Livin'.

All the mom and pop stores around here have fenders, prs, etc. along with the epiphones and squeirs. They don't carry gibbys though, I had to travel to gc 2 hours away to get mine :)

Also, called it on neo making an appearance!

Where's the money go?

Even if it's "assembled in USA" with American labor' date=' where do the profits go?

Overseas.

Buy American when you can.

Or not.

I always do.[/quote']

Is your compuiter made in the USA? Are all the componentes made in there? [confused]

If your answer is what I think it will be then my next comment will surely be "amazing!" [biggrin]

As sadly doo most of the American companies right now. You have said it yourself: you aren't buying NEW stuff from Gibson. Why? [confused]

I think it's because they've lowered their standards. They no longer make a product worthy of the Gibson (and made in the USA) name.

So it's maybe not just a problem of people buying from china but also of your domestic stuff not being what it used to (and what it should).

I remember as a kid when something had "made in USA" or "made in the US" writen on it, it meant that thing you bought/were thinking about buying was THE GREATEST money could buy. What did it also mean? That you wouldn't need to replace it in a lifetime. It also meant it had the highest quality standards.

Now? not so much. So yes, most people will chose cheap POS over expensive POS, and that's where Cookieman's comment comes in.

If it makes some of you guys feel better, I too try to buy stuff made in the USA, in Europe (Germany, the UK) and stuff made in here (but only quality stuff) and try to avoid buying chinese/indian stuff.

That said, one of my favorite amps is made in China.

And we're not even touching upon the fact that you might have to call the 1-800 help line which connects you with some guy in India who will swear his name is really Fred.

[confused]:-k :-k [biggrin]

I swear to god that isn't me... #-o

I agree with most of the people here, it isn't really Guitar Center that is driving them out, but the big companies who won't sell to the smaller sellers due to low numbers. Indirectly, Guitar Center is driving them out, but its a vicious cycle. All that I can find at the small "Mom and Pop" shop, is POS guitars, because they can't get better stuff direct.

I want to buy American on everything I can that is feasible. Guitars, I want to at any chance. Amps, I have been looking at Mesas and the higher end (Made in UK) Oranges.

I went to guitar center yesterday for a quick browse.......and some strings...........saw a new/used Ebony SG Standard for $995......yeah right

also saw a new/'used bolt on neck epi sg for $109.........that was shiney. Looked at some SG basses but they had the price tags backwards and I kept moving and out the door with me strings.

American Companies that produce stuff Overseas' date=' they're the ones giving our jobs away. [/quote']

WHY do you think I'm CONSTANTLY railing against Squire and Epiphone sh!t?

Look at my signature - that's after the Mod Squad neutered my avatar without my consent.

Chinese sh!t is Chinese sh!t.

I don't care if "the price is right" or it's "just as good as...." or anything else.

95% of the guitar gear bought from China is a TOY first, a luxury.

Few of those pieces are used for more than the occasional gig that pays any money.

That is a needless expenditure that is voluntarily enriching an economic enemy of the USA.

What does China sell that you absolutely, positively must have - and it's available nowhere else?

It was Fender and Gibsons demand for volume sales that took him out of the market.

Talk to Gibson. Fender is NOT the culprit - nowhere near what Gibson has done in the last 5-7 years.

And' date=' tell me, does your favorite Big Local Dealer sell Import Models?

I can't believe he's stayed in business without selling a few Squier Starter Packs.[/quote']

A few.

His USA lines outnumber his import crap by a huge margin - the ONLY store I know of now that can say that.

As far as Living in Cali for the first few month of your life' date=' that doesn't give you any right to openly hate a Population 37 million.

Right?

Explain my rights to me - please......

:-k

And be careful throwing around the "hate" word - a little too much of that sh!t going on from people who have

no fxcking clue what hate is, nor have I EVER made a statement on this or any other forum to that effect.

As soon as California achieves the position of leadership, values, and economic prosperity they believe they have, then any one of those 37 million can come on across the Colorado River and discuss it with me over a beer.

Since some estimates are that 1 in 5 adults there are illegal, make sure the one you send has his papers in order.

You know how Arizona is now after SB 1070!

Besides' date=' why would anyone leave a Donor state to live in a Welfare state, oh yeah, it's called Easy Livin'. [/quote']

I'm calling bullsh!t on that one.

And lucky me - no matter what state I live in, my income ensures that I'm in the "donor" column.

Any of you grossing under $50k owe me a nice Thank You for helping you along all these years....

#-o

Is your compuiter made in the USA? Are all the componentes made in there? #-o

Never looked.

It's all Dell - from Texas' date=' by God!

Actually, the reason I never worried about it is because I didn't pay a dime for the entire system.

Yep, ol' Fat Cat NeoConMan got 'er all for free from work when they replaced all their IT equipment with IBM.

I didn't line anybody's pockets with a single penny - plus I have a lifetime maintenance contract.

Trust me, this sucker's gonna last forever - my TV is over 25 years old and both my trucks over 150k miles...

:-k[cool :D

...........why should I thank you for anything .......

I got zero dollars or credits or anything from the Government for the last 12 years.

Are you earning enough to cover the services the gov't provides for you?

It's not enough to just have a job, you gotta earn enough for Uncle Sam to rob you each year.

Varies from state to state, but if you earn less than $40k a year somebody else is carrying you - in any state.

No need to thank me directly.

I'm used to it after 25 years of supporting people who are unwilling to support themselves.

Archived