Gibson Brands Forums

Celebrity Rockers

jimmiJAMM

Well... both of Rick Nelson's parents were big band types...

Blues Brothers is one of the few non "shoot-em-up" movies I've really enjoyed in the last cupla decades.

Never heard Costner's band' date=' darn it. But his saloon in Deadwood has a lotta movie memorabilia. And yeah, that guitar is gorgeous. Hmmmm.

All kidding aside, though, a lot of the actors of the 30s through 60s were definitely multi-talented - singing, dancing... Jimmy Cagney could do both and also was among the earlier U.S. judoka pre WWII. They just weren't always in position to be as obvious as in the smaller combo "band" era.

Consider, for example, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers although they weren't "rockers." They still sold a lotta tickets. I think it got more difficult in the rock era.

Personal opinion is that one might make the argument that actors can make good entertainers outside a sound stage simply because they are actors...

m

[/quote']

Rick Nelsons Parents? I hope we're not so young we forget Ozzie and Harriet. I love watching old Ozzie and Harriet reruns, in fact, now that I think of it, Ozzie has a big influence on the way I approach music and entertainment in General. He was heavily rooted in the old ways of Vaudeville, Radio, and the Big Band era, much like "Burns and Allen" and Jack Benny and so many other on TV in the Golden Age. But, unlike most of his peers, he was immediately comfortable in this new medium. He approached it with an Open Creative Mind. He didn't just bring his "Pie in the Face" Stage Show and put it on TV, he created a premise that worked well into the next decade and has been copied for ever. There would be no Leave it to Beaver without the Nelsons.

When it came time to market his sons talent, he didn't play the injured father who must watch his son break from his traditions to play Rock and Roll, he played the Proud father who supported this new wave of entertainment and even danced in the audience with the Kids (to the delight of his laugh track of course).

That open minded approach to Entertainment launched Rick Nelson and (I believe) paved the way for Rock Music on TV. "I Guess we can show Elvis shake his Pelvis. Rick did it and Ozzie approved."

Cagney, too. you hit on a couple of my all time favorites in this post. Can't go the year without watchin' "Yankee Doodle Dandy", although G-Men gets more Air Time on my DVD player.

Actually I wasn't so much of a Cagney fan until I learned how he'd been one of the earlier Judo black belts in the era when it included a lot more than just style of wrestling for tournament play.

I've also heard/read that Ozzie was not always all that sweet and gentle.

I got to meet Jack Benny and interview the guy over lunch and coffee. His show and Burns and Allen reeeeeally owed a lot to vaudeville with the asides and such...

m

There are actresses that didn't make a record but who can sing better than some of them pop stars out there. Gweneth Paltrow sang in a couple films.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Brittany Murphy made a career of it very on the sly, just background vocals and such, in addition to her film gigs.

I like the subtler attempts and successes. They seem more genuine.

Archived