Gibson Brands Forums

SOOO LIGHT!!

Fragolove

Hi everybody,

I love my chambered 2008 SG Standard but, sometimes, it seems to me I am playing a sheet of paper, not a piece of wood.

I tried also some older model and the weight was more like that of a guitar.

Do you agree? [crying]

Maybe I make some confusion with language.

I mean what in italian are called "camere tonali", you know, the holes in the body that Gibson put into guitar from 2007 to make it lighter.

What's the english for that?

Swiss Cheease Holes ... but Just like he said: SG stands for Solid Guitar, there aren't SG out there which are weight relieved.

It could be the wood, today gibson uses lighter Wood than 20 years before ... Could be that Point, but there aren't any weight relieved SG's.

Didn't know about that... o.ô

I noticed that too; that newer SG are strangely light.

I have a 2003 limited edition SG Special and it is heavy for the size. Feels great having something that meaty in my hands (man, does that sound naughty). Sometimes I forget how much heavier it is than the other SGs, including Standards and 61 RIs. One of the reasons I sold my 2001 Plum Special was because it was too light.

...I know the meaning of "SG", Wikipedia works everywhere round the world.

I just thought that every Gibson model from 2007 had these holes in the body.

But, as I can see, I am not the only one thinking that modern pieces are lighter than those of the past.

So, if you're all so certain that there is no place for chambers in a SG, it must be true.

A matter of wood in the end.

I had the answer.

Naw the only SG that is weight relieved is the Raw Power. They do that with an extra chunk the rout out in addition to some very deep

pickup screw end routes also..........but the Raw Power is still heavey for an SG being maple.

...I know the meaning of "SG"' date=' Wikipedia works everywhere round the world.

I just thought that every Gibson model from 2007 had these holes in the body.

But, as I can see, I am not the only one thinking that modern pieces are lighter than those of the past.

So, if you're all so certain that there is no place for chambers in a SG, it must be true.

A matter of wood in the end.

I had the answer.

[/quote']

The 2007 Chambering you are talking about was only in the Les Pauls.

The Traditional sit has weight relief ( 9 holes drilled) the rest are chamber except

the reissues are solid. There are some chambered reissues I believe the R8 but

they are labeled that way.

The SG has none of the above.

Archived