Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think its worth it?

Andre S

The Marshall Class 5

I really like the tones that the Marshall demo on youtube showed...

I can't try it out but from what I can hear online it sounds pretty cool.

I really like it.

Now here's the catch.

Since they aren't carried locally I WILL have to buy it online.

When I calculate the cost of shipping based on my other amp 2 pounds lighter than the Class 5

I would be looking to pay $550 USD for the Marshall Class 5

Is the Marshall Class 5 worth the $550 USD?

The other part of this is that any amp I buy I would be paying more for.

posters 2 and 4

look in my signature...

every bit of gear you see there except the yamaha C-70, I bought online with no experience beforehand and all of them have been wonderful gear, the guitara came perfect and flawless

is the Marshall worth 550?

(the $399 plus shipping)

What's the return policy for Overseas Delivery? In a way, I live in an Island (actually a small Mountain Town) and I have to Order a lot of stuff on line. Bottom line is folks like us don't get Instant gratification. We have to Order Wait, return wait, Re-Order Wait, Hopefully by the third time we get what we're after.

If they have a reasonable Return Policy, order it and start the elimination Process.

posters 2 and 4

look in my signature...

every bit of gear you see there except the yamaha C-70' date=' I bought online with no experience beforehand and all of them have been wonderful gear, the guitara came perfect and flawless

is the Marshall worth 550?

(the $399 plus shipping)[/quote']

You may have gotten lucky on some good purchases but I still stand by my statement. Especially something where your satisfaction is based tonally.

If you don't use effects at all and don't need a loop or a good sounding reverb go for it.

For $550 I would get an amp with good tone but more features.

You would

But then with shipping a $550 amp would be at least 750....

never ending loop...

3/4 music stores only sell solid state amps...

the third has a nice Marshall a JVM 410H and 1960 slanted cab for 3129 USD

Prices are way over priced here, I would order through them but the shipping is the same I believe....

What's the return policy for Overseas Delivery? In a way' date=' I live in an Island (actually a small Mountain Town) and I have to Order a lot of stuff on line. Bottom line is folks like us don't get Instant gratification. We have to Order Wait, return wait, Re-Order Wait, Hopefully by the third time we get what we're after.

If they have a reasonable Return Policy, order it and start the elimination Process. [/quote']

It'll be from music123, so 45 days...

but then, I have to pay to ship it in, then ship it out then ship the new one in etc etc...

They may pay the shipping from their warehouse to the shipping address I have in the States, but I have to pay the shipping from Florida to me.

It'll be from music123' date=' so 45 days...

but then, I have to pay to ship it in, then ship it out then ship the new one in etc etc...

They may pay the shipping from their warehouse to the shipping address I have in the States, but I have to pay the shipping from Florida to me.[/quote']

That'll get expensive real quick. It would almost be worth flying to Florida to try out a few amps lol.

That'll get expensive real quick. It would almost be worth flying to Florida to try out a few amps lol.

exactly...

that why I post so much of threads like these.....and switch back and forth between guitars often....so at least when I do decide on one, I will be hundred percent sure that thats the one I want and I would have read alot and watched nearly every video about it.

Did that for everything else....didn't fail me yet.

I like it alot. Its loud' date=' but if you want that Marshall sound at a lower level, made in the UK, its hard to beat. For me, I would say it is worth it, if thats what you want.[/quote']

Yup....

I guess so....the only reason I'm asking opinions is because it'll take forever to save up that amount for the amp and guitar...

But it is a Gibson and Marshall......American and British manufacturing....nothing like it........

I have the Marshall 210h and a 1960ax cab. Great combo, if you can i would go that route. I understand the money factor. If not, than make the trip when your ready, try everything you want to buy and than buy it . You get what you want the first time without throwing money away on shipping . If you don't like it. It might cost a bit more ,but less headaches. time is money. what one person likes, the next does not. so trust your own ears.

I have the Marshall 210h and a 1960ax cab. Great combo' date=' if you can i would go that route. I understand the money factor. If not, than make the trip when your ready, try everything you want to buy and than buy it . You get what you want the first time without throwing money away on shipping . If you don't like it. It might cost a bit more ,but less headaches. time is money. what one person likes, the next does not. so trust your own ears. [/quote']

Yup...except then I'd have to pay duty!

I might call the local store, I think they bring it in in a barrel if you order through them so the shipping is substantially less......

Of course they aren't too reliable, during NAMM 2010 when I took my guitar to repair before I fixed it, they said they would call me when the techie got back from NAMM....

they never did...

Oh and the worst of all....when I took my guitar to them to fix, he had a look at the wiring.....and that idjit called my Gibson cheap.....

I don't like them.

have you checked out the Blackstar HT-5 ? it comes in a combo or head style, the head comes with 2 seperate cabs with 10" celestion speakers for about the same price as you are looking at for the Marshall,, dont get me wrong, I LOVE Marshalls, I own one too,,but the Blackstars are made from former Marshall employees and they seem to have a GREAT Marshall tone at bedroom levels, Ive been looking at the combo myself

have you checked out the Blackstar HT-5 ? it comes in a combo or head style' date=' the head comes with 2 seperate cabs with 10" celestion speakers for about the same price as you are looking at for the Marshall,, dont get me wrong, I LOVE Marshalls, I own one too,,but the Blackstars are made from former Marshall employees and they seem to have a GREAT Marshall tone at bedroom levels, Ive been looking at the combo myself[/quote']

I heard of them never really looked into it....

I'll check 'em out.

I forgot about the customs tax , sorry. sometimes i don't think it though. i would say that you'll be happy with a Marshall , but as others have pointed out , it would be lacking any effects. I don't use much myself . I always want reverb.You could always buy a pedal for that. I have not tryed the class 5. I've seen them in and out of the store fast,so people like them . high demand for things, most of the time means it's good . imho. tough spot your in. Also Marshall retain value well, so it's another thing to consider. The JVM's are really nice. It is still worth the money it cost. If you can do it , you'll be glad you have it. good luck.

I forgot about the customs tax ' date=' sorry. sometimes i don't think it though. i would say that you'll be happy with a Marshall , but as others have pointed out , it would be lacking any effects. I don't use much myself . I always want reverb.You could always buy a pedal for that. I have not tryed the class 5. I've seen them in and out of the store fast,so people like them . high demand for things, most of the time means it's good . imho. tough spot your in. Also Marshall retain value well, so it's another thing to consider. The JVM's are really nice. It is still worth the money it cost. If you can do it , you'll be glad you have it. good luck.[/quote']

I'm not too big on effects....all I use now is a wah, all I plan to buy would be a fuzz, maybe a delay,....and thats it... hardly an overdrive again because thats what the marshall is for!

Yea the JVM looked great.....one day I'll take my LP to play through it....I wouldn't buy it because I have no possible use for a 100W Head and 4 12 cabinet...

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Marshall, I have a small one in Brazil, that i let my Grandson use and he knows that when i go back , it's mine . It's like 20 years old and works fine. I don't recall the details on it but it's still still pumping out Marshall tone. good luck, you'll do it.

I'm gonna get it....

Hopefully this year...

It depends on where I get a job....and how much they pay.......

Its seems really cool...I like it alot

you decided to go with the Marshall ? I saw a video on youtube where Bonamassa used that amp during a show, probabaly a Marshall clinic or something, but it sounded pretty good !!

Archived