Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Modern Classic

theblast

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm thinking of purchasing a new J-45 & wanted your opinions on a few things since you are all Gibson Fans.

I can get it for $1850 out the door. Is this good or at least fair?

Does anyone know the depth measurement for the body?

What quality are the electronics & where exactly is the pickup is mounted? Are they equivalent to the LR Baggs set-ups I keep reading about?

Thanks for taking the time to read & ANY help, pros or cons you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking of buying it tomorrow so the sooner the better.

Best,

John

Thanks guys. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to take the plunge but I'm REALLY close to doing it. I've played 3 of them & 2 were dogs. The other one was SUUUUPER sweet! Are these things constructed well? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on these & newer Gibson Acoustics in general. Also, sounds like Gibsons customer service is terrible as well from a lot that I've read.

-John

I have a 2004 J-45 and it's the best guitar I've personally ever owned. Each is different. I played one a couple weeks ago that was new in a shop and it seemed a bit dull compared to mine. If you find one you like, buy it. It will only get better as it opens up. The Gibsons coming out of Bozeman are well constructed, beautiful instruments. I don't know about their customer service, never needed it.

I have a 2007 J-45 MC. I bought it used, but it was only a couple of months old. I've been well pleased. It was sort of tight sounding when I first got it, but has opened up a lot since then. Its much louder than my Taylor 410 ever was. Every indication is that it will keep getting better as the wood and nitro finish ages.

The pickup is the LR Baggs Active Element. It is an under-saddle transducer. The volume control is inside the soundhole. The battery holder is on the neck block. The preamp is on the output jack, which also serves as the strap pin. It sounds pretty good stock. I added a $60 PUTW Quackbuster to mine and made it sound even better plugged in.

The construction seems fine on mine. It sounds like a J-45 to me. I've played it side by side with my Granddad's early '50's Southern Jumbo, and it has much the same sound. I did replace the heavy Grover Rotomatics with Gibson Klusons. Not that the Grovers were bad, they were just very heavy and looked out of place on a J-45.

I don't know what you've heard, but I have heard little but good about the Bozeman made Gibbys. Gibson has been a company some folks love to hate. Supposedly they are pretty demanding on their dealers, and their practices have made a lot of dealers mad. This leads to bad things being said from time to time.

Anyway, if you find one you like, go for it. I don't think you'll go wrong.

Dont know about the Gibson corp customer service but Ive had some helpful interactions with the folks in Bozeman. As to Gibson's rep for inconsistency, that goes back to the 60s-70s (over braced duds), a time when all US shops fared poorly. There was also a brief period between 93-96 when there was a slip in the new Bozeman plant's quality control (units developing cracks right out of the shop etc), which pretty well got taken care of (see discussions in the RMGA group). Beyond that, you enter the realm of urban legend, promoted in part by fussbudgets who want the insides of a flattop so clean you can have lunch. Just make sure she plays easy and sings purty before you lay your money down. J

Good to know. She does play & sing great. I think I can get it now for $1700 out the door so I may get it on Monday. I foundan Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500M that plays & sings nicely today but it's not quite as nice sounding & I don't LOVE the look of it but it is way cheaper so I'm gonna try to deide by Monday which one to go with. Wish me luck & any feedback on those Masterbuilts is greatly appreciated as well.

Best,

John

first off welcome!

you will not go wrong with a J-45. Ive had my electronics-less Banner J-45 for 2.5 years now. Every time i go into shops and guitar centers and pick up new martins, other gibsons and just about anything else ive played, ill go home, pick up my one and only, and think, "you sound better than anything ive played. i swear it.''. I feel totally fortunate to have found a guitar im so satisfied with. i never have G.A.S. used too. then i bought my j-45. not only that, but its opened up SO MUCH since ive had it. (bought it new btw). its built up so much sentimental value. ive been everywhere with it. anywho, man, you get and enjoy your J-45 and keep it forever!

sincerely,

John

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to make an offer on it tomorrow. It really does sound like no other guitar I've played & I've picked up a lot. I guess it just sort of spoke to me unlike any of the others. It's my first acoustic purchase & I think it's going to make me happy for years!

Best,

-john

Hey MyJ-45 (John), I know you live on the east coast where it tends to be more humid but do you keep a humidifier in the case with your guitar? Also, how do you travel with it? Did you buy a special case or just use the factory case?

Best,

John

1700 is a good deal for a new one. I think they have the LR Baggs undersaddle electronics...at least that is what my j-50 came with. I live on the east coast and do not need to humidify where I am. You should buy that puppy!!!

Hey MyJ-45 (John)' date=' I know you live on the east coast where it tends to be more humid but do you keep a humidifier in the case with your guitar? Also, how do you travel with it? Did you buy a special case or just use the factory case?

Best,

John[/quote']

hey there John,

to be quite honest it just chills in the "stock" Gibson case it came with. no humidifier or anything like that. i don't have any special cases for it. ive never been out of state with it, but ill go on road trips and vacations with it and usually just throw it in the back of my car.

I bought it & I love it. Even my lovely wife thought it was awesome. $1699.50 out the door. All in all I think I got a good deal & can't imagine hearing or seeing another acoustic I'd rather have! Thanks for all the input guys, it definitely helped my decision.

-john

Archived