Gibson Brands Forums

1984-5 Explorer

Stryker57

Howdy Folks,

Has anyone ever seen all black 84/85 explorer ( black hardware) w/ kahler and 3 pickups?

It has 1 humbucker (no cover) and 2 P-90s

2 knobs (in line) volume and tone with 3 individual mini switches over the knobs for the pickups

the volume doubles as a coil switch.

ordered it new in 1985 thru Buddy Rodgers from Gibson

( pretty sure it was 85.... its been awhile o.0 )

not for sale.. just noticed i have never seen one like it.

weighs a ton /fat neck (cant play a strat, all my fingers end up on the top string wrapped around my thumb)

but wouldnt trade it for the world

I looked the serial up a few years ago but it really didnt tell me too much

I'll post some pics if i can figure out how over the weekend.

yep HB and 2 P90s, i really wanted 3 HBs but this is what i got, overall no complaints now if i hit the coil tap i can have a wicked deep strat type sound for playing some Skynyrd leads (center pickup), or Bob Seagers mainstreet (neck Pickup). then can jump right back into Preist/Maiden (the harmonics easily handles the clear part in Revelations)

over the years i have never really worried about it being rare , etc just never seen nothing out there like it.

yep HB and 2 P90s' date=' i really wanted 3 HBs but this is what i got, overall no complaints now if i hit the coil tap i can have a wicked deep strat type sound for playing some Skynyrd leads (center pickup), or Bob Seagers mainstreet (neck Pickup). then can jump right back into Preist/Maiden (the harmonics easily handles the clear part in Revelations)

over the years i have never really worried about it being rare , etc just never seen nothing out there like it. [/quote']

Cool. Well the rule here is you have to post pics. Soooo...yeah. Do that is the "post your Explorer" thread. :D Please

I never saw an Explorer III with a humbucker and two P90s and Kahler. They do not show in the catalog that I saw for that year. I personally think these were aftermarket mods but you never know with Norlin Era Gibson's, there are all sorts of wierd versions of models

Howdy Folks' date='

Has anyone ever seen all black 84/85 explorer ( black hardware) w/ kahler and 3 pickups?

It has 1 humbucker (no cover) and 2 P-90s

2 knobs (in line) volume and tone with 3 individual mini switches over the knobs for the pickups

the volume doubles as a coil switch.

ordered it new in 1985 thru Buddy Rodgers from Gibson

( pretty sure it was 85.... its been awhile o.0 )

not for sale.. just noticed i have never seen one like it.

weighs a ton /fat neck (cant play a strat, all my fingers end up on the top string wrapped around my thumb)

but wouldnt trade it for the world

I looked the serial up a few years ago but it really didnt tell me too much

I'll post some pics if i can figure out how over the weekend.

[/quote']

hey whats up? to answer your question, yes i actually have one. i just bought it from a friend for 600$

• 1 month later...
Cool. Well the rule here is you have to post pics. Soooo...yeah. Do that is the "post your Explorer" thread. :P Please

Here ya go' date=' was stolen last week so since i never got to post the pic i figured i'd let ya see what i had.

2177811800041616413S600x600Q85.jpg

afraid to say but I still have the camera.

bad part is they broke in and took just the guitars. left amps, mixer etc... I think i would rather of had them take everything else and left the guitars.

so if ya see anything like that fer sale let me know . I seriously doubt the insurance will pay enough to replace it.

vpstryker@aol.com

take care all

Archived