Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul from fender? are they buying epiphone?

Today a guy comes to the studio and stares amazed at my modded epi (she shines more than my gibson for obvious reasons (standard faded)) and asks me details... i explain its a modded epi and he says "epiphone... they are like "fake fenders" arent they?, you know... cheap versions of real fenders"

To keep it simple I tell him: no they are licensed and very good lower cost gibson guitars, you know, like mexican fenders are to amercian fenders (didnt want to go into the squier thing as for me epis are above squiers)...

Guy says (after scratching his head for a while): no, i read somewhere that they were cheap copies of fenders... i even read fender bought epiphone after a lawsuit or something".

LMFAOROTF! never got to explain him in detail what an epi is as we were a little short on time (f"ckn a-hole showed up at the studio an hour late and the people paying him was very upset, glad it was them that insisted in working with him).

Half an hour ago the session was going exectly nowhere... so i grabbed my trusty Gibson Les Paul and did the job myself (free of charge as the whole song was like, 3 chords and a small and slow lead after 2nd chorus).

The good stuff:

- Another happy client

- Another "i can play a gazzillion notes a minute" boy bites the dust.biggrin.gif/

Please dont tell me they are indeed buying epi! hehehe](*,)

I havent seen one either... but there was a time when epi made this strat type guitar... not their best i know, but it wasnt their flagship either.

That said, i have a very good oppinion regrading epiphone les pauls and SGs, have owned both (les paul standard, custom, even this special II, and G-400s). I think they are top quality for the price, wouldnt buy one if they costed more but at the price you can find them at, its like you can own a color for each day of the week.

Of course i wouldnt go so far as to compare them with gibsons (er even say they are better as some guys do) but they are good. Dont know why a lot of people look down on epis... they are just fine.

I havent seen one either... but there was a time when epi made this strat type guitar... not their best i know' date=' but it wasnt their flagship either.[/quote']

I think that was called the Wilshire, looked a bit like a TeleStrat body blend with a G&L-ish headstock. (Check their website). I agree with you regarding Epiphone - one of the best instrument brands at that price.

No point casting pearls before swine, Thunder. Every once in a while satan's bowls seem to vomit up one of these characters to help develop your character (i.e.patience). I won't be holding my breath for a new Fendepiphone Stratopaulster. =P~

Could just be me, but when I think of Epiphone guitars, I think of the nice, full sound of their hollow body electrics. I don't think GIbson when I think of hollow bodies... I think Epiphone. I understand the relationship with Gibson, but to me the Epi's will always be Les Paul copies.

No argument on the "bang-for-the-buck". Hard to beat them for the price.

You seem to get your fair share of idiots in your studio!

You must have a lot of patience.

Thats the worst of it... i dont have a lot of patience, but i really love this job, and well it feels good to take them out of ignorance and help them learn theres more to life than knowing how to play ONE dream theatre riff (most "recording" musicians here are under 25 and know the same riff from the same dream theatre song, and think thats all there is to know).

Thats the worst of it... i dont have a lot of patience' date=' but i really love this job, and well it feels good to take them out of ignorance and help them learn theres more to life than knowing how to play ONE dream theatre riff (most "recording" musicians here are under 25 and know the same riff from the same dream theatre song, and think thats all there is to know).[/quote']

Could be worse - could've been "Smoke on the Water", or "Thunderstruck".

epiphone les pauls and SGs

I think they are top quality for the price

Dont know why a lot of people look down on epis... they are just fine.

There's a HUGE gap between Epiphone and Gibson across most of the product line.

Structurally' date=' they're fine in my experience.

Electronics are often sh!t.

I've been inside several, replacing pots and switches.

Some of them have to be routed out before a Gibson pot will even [b']fit[/b] in the control cavity, and many Gibson parts won't fit.

Spend a little money to make the pots and switch decent, and they will work fine.

Put a good pickup in them and they sound fine.

Mexican Strats compare favorably with American Strats, sharing many common parts and most machining.

Squire stuff is made in the Pacific Rim, same as the Epiphone stuff, by God-knows-who and the quality suffers tremendously.

I know guys that gig with Squire or Epi guitars and leave their expensive stuff at home.

They work good enough to get beat up, knocked over by drunks and have beer poured on them.

For the money, you get what you paid for.

I know guys that gig with Squire or Epi guitars and leave their expensive stuff at home.

They work good enough to get beat up' date=' knocked over by drunks and have beer poured on them.

For the money, you get what you paid for. [/quote']

+1

cant wait to gig with my gibby anyway...

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, Kevin lesh said:

Actually I have an Epiphone strat

Holy Thread Resurrection, T'god!

Welcome to the forum but...

No you don't. If it was made by Epiphone it cannot possibly be a Strat. Equally if it is a Strat it couldn't possibly have been made by Epiphone.

[smile]

FWIW I don't have one either. Mine is a Blonde Epi S310, s/s/s, with Blonde p'head, black 'guard and a r/w 'board....

Pip.

Edited by pippy