Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul from fender? are they buying epiphone?

On 5/11/2008 at 4:47 AM, GuitarJunkie said:

I have a feeling you get a fair share of idiots in ALL studios. After all' date=' you're mostly dealing with musicians, aren't you? default_eusa_wall.gif

monday:

mom! mom!  today i said my abc's just perfect! the teacher was really happy and told my i could say them better than anyone in the 1st grade! 

well, that's because you're a drummer.

tuesday:

mom!mom! today i   read my book report and the teacher said i did a great job!

that's because you're a drummer

wednesday:

mom!mom!  today i learned that i'm the tallest kid in the whole first grade! is that cause i'm a drummer?

no johnny, it's because you're 26

On 8/23/2019 at 3:06 AM, pippy said:

Holy Thread Resurrection, T'god!

Welcome to the forum but...

No you don't. If it was made by Epiphone it cannot possibly be a Strat. Equally if it is a Strat it couldn't possibly have been made by Epiphone.

[smile]

FWIW I don't have one either. Mine is a Blonde Epi S310, s/s/s, with Blonde p'head, black 'guard and a r/w 'board....

Pip.

300px-S310PW.jpg300px-T310EB.jpg

No Strats or Tele's... but lots of variation in the 310 series... I was looking for a T310 Tele style for one of my projects, but found very few good ones surviving.. Not to worry though there are lots of E, EM, ET, G, I, S and X series, to name a few, showing up from time to time..

Unofficial Epiphone Guitars Wiki

Edited by mihcmac

On 9/1/2019 at 11:49 PM, mihcmac said:

300px-S310PW.jpg300px-T310EB.jpg

No Strats or Tele's... but lots of variation in the 310 series...

Mine is exactly the same as the 'Strat' here but with a r/w 'board. It's OK. Flatter radius than the original and far meatier frets are the main differences in feel.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

So there are a few of these out there and I know the whereabouts of one right now. Yes, I'm trying to resist pursuing it.

They can usually be had for ridiculously low prices (as far as the UK goes!). Mine was bought from a dealership and received a proper set-up, new strings of my choice and a 12 month guarantee all for a measly £85.00...

Pip.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Did you negotiate this?

That's less than 10% of what I'm looking at. Will you be my negotiator? 🤑

[laugh]

No!...

As I remember things (this was around 5 years ago) I checked after I brought it home and the going-rate on eBay seemed to be around the £100 mark so it wasn't much under 'the usual' for the time.  The shop from which it was purchased (Twang Guitars of Penge) had a few similar entry-level 'Strat' copies - Squier Affinities and suchlike - and they were all priced the same. I had originally gone into the shop to try to buy some spare springs for the vibrato block of my newly-bought MIM Strat - it only had three as fitted by Fender - and I thought what the Hell? Just buy a spare guitar instead.

I'd be very surprised to hear they might be worth a fair bit more these days.

Pip.

11 hours ago, pippy said:

[laugh]

No!...

As I remember things (this was around 5 years ago) I checked after I brought it home and the going-rate on eBay seemed to be around the £100 mark so it wasn't much under 'the usual' for the time.  The shop from which it was purchased (Twang Guitars of Penge) had a few similar entry-level 'Strat' copies - Squier Affinities and suchlike - and they were all priced the same. I had originally gone into the shop to try to buy some spare springs for the vibrato block of my newly-bought MIM Strat - it only had three as fitted by Fender - and I thought what the Hell? Just buy a spare guitar instead.

I'd be very surprised to hear they might be worth a fair bit more these days.

Pip.

I didnt know about Epi 'strats'. I was thinking of the Gibson Victory.

The guitar I have now decided to leave alone (I think...) is a Fender Master series Esprit (think Robben Ford). These are pretty rare 80s MIJ models built by Fujigen. There is a white one waiting on some Schaller spares at the moment but will be offered for sale when complete.  I have a much later Squier version. 

Esprit%20001%20copy.jpg

Ah! Well, Yes! That's a completely different prospect from an Epi S310 and the price differential is probably very well justified!

Just out of interest; how is your Squier version? I have a high regard for the vast majority of Squiers I've played so would certainly not be surprised to hear Good Things about your example.

Pip.

The Squier Elite is Korean built. 

I was lucky enough to compare it side by side to the Fender version at time of buying (the Fender wasn't for sale). There was nothing to separate them in terms of feel and handling. That in itself is a remarkable testament to the builders of both instruments, separated by culture, 600 miles and 13 years. Though of course the seller had set up both himself. 

They sound very Gibsonesque. Not at all like Fenders. The Fender has Schaller pickups and the Squier anonymous 'Duncan Designed'. I even put Fender specced single coils into mine, but it still sounds nothing like a Fender. 😄

The hardwear is cheaper but usable (gigged several times). Nevertheless I changed much of it anyway, pretty much ensuring its status as a keeper.  This is it (pre-mod) condition.

3jTM3pi.jpg

It's now truly international; with a Japanese bridge, English pickups and German tuners.

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

The Squier Elite is Korean built........There was nothing to separate them in terms of feel and handling. 

They sound very Gibsonesque. Not at all like Fenders.......I even put Fender specced single coils into mine, but it still sounds nothing like a Fender. 😄

3jTM3pi.jpg

Yes; very pretty guitar!

I've just had a look online and they do seem to be highly-rated.

Pip.

The Epi S310 : I had a look at some pics. It looks like they didnt replicate the 7.25" rad. It looks flatter than that. String spread looks the same though. That was a more recent one from China. 

However, I then found this which is 1989 MIK. The rad doesnt look as flat and its also got 22 frets.

reverb £150

33 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

The Epi S310 : I had a look at some pics. It looks like they didnt replicate the 7.25" rad. It looks flatter than that.......However, I then found this which is 1989 MIK. The rad doesnt look as flat and its also got 22 frets....

Hmmm.......I'm not so sure about the neck radius being different, m-e. I think it's just a characteristic of the wide-angle lens used to take the snap. I could well be wrong though.

As a comparison I dragged my one out to double-check what I said in my earlier post about the thing and it definitely has the 12" radius. I also took a couple of quick pics with a wide-angle lens and it doesn't look as flat as it is in reality;

Epi-S310-01-and-02-lo.jpg

Interesting about the 22 frets, though. Mine was also made in Korea but slightly earlier (June 1988) so perhaps the 22 fret neck was introduced for the '89 model-year?

Pip.

Edited by pippy

3 hours ago, pippy said:

Interesting about the 22 frets, though. Mine was also made in Korea but slightly earlier (June 1988) so perhaps the 22 fret neck was introduced for the '89 model-year?

Pip.

It looks like a redesign from here. If they are the same scale, your neck pickup should be further from the fingerboard, but it's closer than the 22 fretter! [confused]

There must have been a certain amount of re-tooling for the newer design. As far as the positioning of the neck p'up is concerned; again that could simply be a trick of the angle  of view. It might not look like it in the snap but my neck p'up is spaced 11mm - roughly the same distance as the width of the single-coil - from the bottom curve of the f'board. The p'ups on the 22 fret neck are visibly closer together than are mine so presumably that's where the extra space was found for the extra fret?

Perhaps this thread should be shifted to those well-informed folks over in the Epi Lounge?

Pip.

EDIT : I've just noticed that the neck on the white Epi pictured earlier is also a 22 fretter...

Edited by pippy