Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

SG Standard is due for a mod or two......Ideas ?

Now that I have found the scheme for my Raw Power.....I am going to be playing it and dialing in the set up as I go.....so I will be putting my Standard on the operating table for some mods........I am thinking of desoldering the covers on the 99 installed 490r and 498t to let it rip even more........and it is true and uncovered pickup can get a higher output with the cover off as you can get it ultra close to the strings.......also I am thinking the guitar should have all black everything .........although some type contrast would be cool...............

Now that I have found the scheme for my Raw Power.....I am going to be playing it and dialing in the set up as I go.....so I will be putting my Standard on the operating table for some mods........I am thinking of desoldering the covers on the 99 installed 490r and 498t to let it rip even more........and it is true and uncovered pickup can get a higher output with the cover off as you can get it ultra close to the strings.......also I am thinking the guitar should have all black everything .........although some type contrast would be cool...............

It does sound better with the covers off..more open and free and ready to rock...!

But seriously I found the pickups were singing with it off...take off that leash now!!!

Here is the current condition of my Standard

Guitaretc002.jpg

I modified an after market batwing as I did not like the imperfections of my small guard mod.........it was not up to a Standard.

So any mods will involve the bat wing unless I fill, sand and paint the whole front of the guitar and.........to do that to the level of quality a Standard deserves is a lot of work .........and I may not have the patience for it.

..........While the maestro would look cool......I never use any trems or vibrato's........maybe I should check one out since I am open minded about such things.........put one on my experimental subject the G-400 and see.............

What if I accent the back of the smoked RP pick guard I have in stock with a dark red on the inside of it ...........and paint just the top of the knobs the same dark red half dried blood color..........pull the pup covers and paint the slugs on the pups dark red also............with a toggle tip dark red also.....?

Cream ring around the pup switch as well.

Have one on the way.......with knobs.............or I have the all black knobs off the RP............

Cream ring around the pup switch as well.

EXCELLENT suggestion, and such a quick, inexpensive, and easy mod. And easy to switch back if you don't like it.

.............yo....way back in 77 my buddy tried to get me to nail a dead rat to my mustang guitar........to bad we were not playing clubs yet cause in 77 that would have prolly propelled me to Johhney Rotten status.........and we sounded as good as their noise.................

I say black out as much of the guitar as you can. I did it with one of my strats. A 70's reissue, i like the way it looks .black body, pick guard, knobs. fat 50's pups with black covers.Back cover. swaped to a maple neck. it's an easy change back if i want.

Thanks........I find it weird that the cream color is a little different shade on all the parts that ALLPARTS sells but at a few feet you can't tell.

A ball pean hammer.

Some 60 grit sand paper.

A little lacker thinner.

Give it that "Relic" look Blackie.

That's what she needs. JK

Oh yeah and a pair of Dirty Finger pickups with the Gibson Embossed covers.

That'll do ya!

Rock on Blackie.

Looked good in the original picture?

........Hey I am on a buget.........so instead of just buying another guitar I change mine up as I go.

........I am still thinking of desoldering the covers to see how that would sound.