Gibson Brands Forums

New vs. Older Les Paul

maxxm

I currently own a 1978 Les Paul Custom. It is a beautiful guitar which feels and sounds great. However, I have always wanted a burst finish Les Paul and can not afford to keep my Custom if buying a new guitar. Therefore, I am thinking of selling my 78 Custom and purchasing a brand new Standard. Can anyone tell me if there are any major quality difference between a 70's Les Paul and the ones that are being produced now? I don't want to make a mistake and sell my Custom in order to buy something of less quality. Any insight into this issue would be great.

Thanks.

Let me say that I tend to prefer the standards over the customs,and I would urge you to consider not selling your custom and saving up your money to purchase a standard, there are distinct cosmetic difference between the two but I don't think there is a big difference in sound and playability.

As far as buying an older Les Paul or a new one, generally speaking older is better if it has been cared for and not modified to excess or beat up and abused, I recently sold my 77 standard, for finacial reasons, and I have been playing a lot of Les Pauls looking for its replacement some older some newer, and I have not quite found that one that recreates the same magic as my 77, some come close some don't, I just think that nothing could really replace your custom and it doesn't hurt to have a backup.

If your decision is final and the custom has to go, i would suggest you visit several stores and play as many standards as you can before deciding, once you have 2 you like most, take your guitar there and play both your guitar and the guitar you like... then decide if it is worth changing it just for the looks af a burst. As NeoConMan noted, the 78 custom probably aint gonna depreciate, but the new one most surely will.

If you decide to keep the custom and go for a second les paul, I highly recommend the standard faded, cheaper and same sound as a satandard, nice top finishes, very good neck feeling also.

Almost forgot... WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I would definitely stay with the 78 custom. They just seem to age so nicely and their sound mellows very nicely. Not that there is anything wrong with today's guitars though. I agree with Thundergod. I have a Standard Faded as well and love it. In fact I play it more then my 2000 Standard I like the sound of it so much. As I was looking for mine I saw some BEAUTIFUL figured tops and stunning bursts.

Maxx, I think the best way to put this in perspective is this.

Keep the 30 year old Custom, no matter what.

Get a side job mowing lawns, shoveling snow, a paper route, lemonade stand, or sell a kidney to buy a new Gibson that suits your needs. Don't go cheap, wait for the right time and right guitar, then you'll have two guitars to be very proud of, and THAT'S how a badass collection gets started.

Don't just buy whatever random stuff comes your way.

You'll eventually sell it and lose money every time.

You didn't say how you came to own the Custom, or what your connection to it is.

How long have you owned it?

Even if you just got it last week, hang on to it. You're almost in the vintage price escalation years.

I would rob a bank for the cash to buy a new Gibson before I sacrificed a 30 year old Custom.

You'll eventually get out of jail, but you will NEVER see that guitar again.

Maxx' date=' I think the best way to put this in perspective is this.

Keep the 30 year old Custom, no matter what.

Get a side job mowing lawns, shoveling snow, a paper route, lemonade stand, or sell a kidney to buy a new Gibson that suits your needs. Don't go cheap, wait for the right time and right guitar, then you'll have two guitars to be very proud of, and THAT'S how a badass collection gets started.

Don't just buy whatever random stuff comes your way.

You'll eventually sell it and lose money every time.

You didn't say how you came to own the Custom, or what your connection to it is.

How long have you owned it?

Even if you just got it last week, hang on to it. You're [i']almost[/i] in the vintage price escalation years.

I would rob a bank for the cash to buy a new Gibson before I sacrificed a 30 year old Custom.

You'll eventually get out of jail, but you will NEVER see that guitar again.

Bravo...

I'll FLY FOR FOOD, just to keep the grocery money for a Lester. O:)

Would love to see some pics, and welcome aboard.

You an Army flyboy?

20 years in the Army, Boeing gig, hmmmm.....

Getting PAID to fly is about as cool as it gets!

I'm a private pilot, costs me money every time I go up.

Well, I haven't been up in a couple years.

Dammit.

1978 Custom' date=' that's Norlin Era, correct? You probably won't get much for it anyways because it's from that period. So, take that into consideration.

Now show me some photos of that Custom.[/quote']

For as much complaining as people do about Norlins, it's amazing how much they have gone up in value. Same with the 70s Strats...absolute crap that people will now play $3500 at GC.

Thanks for all the great advice and insight. I'll post a few pics once I am home..on vacation right now. I have owned this Custom for 11 years and bought it from a country player in London Canada. The price was great so I didn't look any further. I think all the comments confirmed my inner voice telling me to keep the custom. Better to hold tight now, save my pennies and pick up a burst when the time is right. Thanks and cheers to all.

Maxx

For as much complaining as people do about Norlins' date=' it's amazing how much they have gone up in value. Same with the 70s Strats...absolute crap that people will now play $3500 at GC. [/quote']

No kidding.

My dealer can't believe it - they're STILL sh!t guitars - and the prices are stupid now. Okay, some of them weren't so bad.

He tells me he couldn't move a seventies Strat to save his life ten years ago. Refused to accept them on trade at any price.

Even the '72 Tele Deluxe with humbuckers is worth $2,500 now in good condition.

Any odd or unpopular guitar made in the 70's by Gibson or Fender was stacked up like firewood in his store.....

There are great and not so great guitars from all years and that includes originals too. If the guitar plays and feels great then keep it, unless you find something better. I'd say the best bang for your buck these days would probably be the GC R0, but then that's a plain top. Personally the top doesn't really bother me whether it's plain or flame. I'd much prefer a plaintop to look at than one of those gaudy over the top quilt tops anyday. They look more like guitars than pieces of furniture to me.. LOL. The GC with the long neck tenon would probably have the edge over the Custom ( acoustically that is ) , but as I said, it's a matter of shopping around. In my carreer, I have have had all sorts of Les Paul's from all eras and if you find a good one with your name on it then they are worth their weight in gold. Don't be swayed by what year anything comess from though unless you are just buying for investment, or you could find yourself missing out on something really nice.

Phil.

Archived