Gibson Brands Forums

Early 60's Les Paul/SG Standard Neck Reset Questions

Mister Scary

This may belong in the Vintage Sub-Forum but it seems like nobody reads or posts there... I've been looking for a vintage early 60's Les Paul/SG Standard for an investment and thought I had found one that fits my desires. However, I learned that it has had a neck reset done. While I understand that these are quite common, especially with acoustics, it is a very costly and labor intensive repair. The procedure may even involve shaving the neck/heel or re-fretting in some cases.

Obviously, it's is much less desirable to have a neck reset done on a collectible guitar than a "players" guitar. In my opinion (and I could be over-emphasizing a bit) but a neck reset is like a cracked/repaired neck and takes away about half the value of the guitar. Assuming that this guitar has a first rate, professional, clean neck reset, how much do you think it would depreciate the value (percentage wise) of the guitar? Everything else on it is original and in EXC+ condition.

Do you think it's even worth my time and money to pursue this guitar or just move on to find a more collectible one?

Thanks for your replies!

Why would you want to buy a perfectly playable vintage Gibson LP as an "investment"?#-o Guitars are meant to be played, not "collected"![-(

I kid, I kid...well, only a little.#-o

A mint (unrepaired) 1960 LP can be worth anywhere between $50-$100,000, with the most desireable still being the '58-'59 Bursts, but any repairs/modifications (a reset neck is more of a mod than a repair in most cases, depending on the circumstances) will definately have a huge impact on their value. I would say (depending on the overal condition of the guitar in question) w/a reset neck, my guess would be anywhere from $25-$35k. IMHO, your better off looking elsewhere, because due to the reset neck, the price/value is going to stay in that range, because anything vintage is only worth what most people are willing to pay for it, and something like this is a huge red flag to vintage guitar collectors.

...I've been looking for a vintage early 60's Les Paul/SG Standard for an investment......

Do you think it's even worth my time and money to pursue this guitar...?

In your situation' date=' no.

If you are, as you say, buying one for investment purposes then you should only look for an unmolested example; no collector will pay top-dollar for a buggered-around guitar.

...or just move on to find a more collectible one?...

In your situation, yes.

If a neck reset was done well' date=' I don't see how it would devalue it. But if it bugs you, avoid it. [/quote']Any kinds of repairs (no matter how well done/noticeable) tend to scare the crap out of most cork-sniffing, collectors (who are most likely the people who would themselves consider a guitar like this as an "investment").

Unless it was previously owned by someone famous, something that simple is considered a "black-eye", and most collectors will look the other way.

If a neck reset was done well' date=' I don't see how it would devalue it. But if it bugs you, avoid it. [/quote']

As Rockstar has said; anything but an untouched instrument is going to be of no interest to a collector.

The OP stated that the instrument was to be bought as an investment.

Playability is irrelevant!

This may belong in the Vintage Sub-Forum but it seems like nobody reads or posts there... I've been looking for a vintage early 60's Les Paul/SG Standard for an investment and thought I had found one that fits my desires. However' date=' I learned that it has had a neck reset done. While I understand that these are quite common, especially with acoustics, it is a very costly and labor intensive repair. The procedure may even involve shaving the neck/heel or re-fretting in some cases.

Obviously, it's is much less desirable to have a neck reset done on a collectible guitar than a "players" guitar. In my opinion (and I could be over-emphasiing a bit) but a neck reset is like a cracked/repaired neck and takes away about half the value of the guitar. Assuming that this guitar has a first rate, professional, clean neck reset, how much do you think it would depreciate the value (percentage wise) of the guitar? Everything else on it is original and in EXC+ condition.

Do you think it's even worth my time and money to pursue this guitar or just move on to find a more collectible one?

Thanks for your replies! [/quote']

Assuming you are referring to the original SG, released in 1961 and initially called a Les Paul, neck resets were very common on those guitars. The original 61 - 65s had a troublesome neck to body joint design that was prone to loosening over time. Gibson would try various versions of the joint before eventually extending it a bit, as on the post '65 instruments. If it was a factory repair or one well done by a luthier it should not devalue the guitar tremendously. If it was due to a break from a drop or mishandling of some sort, that's a different story and would probably devalue the guitar significantly.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies! The guitar is indeed a '63 Les Paul/SG and I was told by the seller that the neck reset can only be seen under a black light and it was done very well. Like many have said, they are notorious for neck issues. All things considered, I'm likely going to pass on it, which is too bad because the guitar is very clean otherwise and 100% original. It's also priced reasonably well (under $15k), but mos people seem to think that anything but an untouched instrument is not a good investment. I agree with the "black eye" phrase rockstar mentioned.

I have a '61 LP/SG that I play quite a bit. It has a couple of sealed cracks around the neck joint and could probably use a neck reset too, but it's all original. I love the look, feel, tone, and playability of that guitar and am looking for another (around the same year, '61-'63) to just keep as in investment. I have a young daughter that will be going to college and hopefully beyond 12 years from now:-) If I'm able to pick up a nice investment LP/SG, I might be able to pay for a semester - lol!

I'll post how things pan out with this particular LP/SG. I'm sure I'll come across another one if I'm patient.

Thanks again for the replies!

Archived