Gibson Brands Forums

I cannot believe it!!!!

Yeah. I reported it as being counterfeit too.

Nice finish, though...:-

On a more serious note it seems the counterfeiters have finally got the message about a two-screw TRC.

Perhaps we should, after all, be careful about how, exactly, we can spot fakes a mile off....

Nice finish' date=' though...:-

On a more serious note it seems the counterfeiters have finally got the message about a two-screw TRC.

Perhaps we should, after all, be careful about how, [u']exactly[/u], we can spot fakes a mile off....

Yeah, I figured they would catch on. Let's just keep all the other tell tail signs a secret. I noticed at least 7 other signs that they still have not figured out.

21 bids and it's over $2K...

Man there are some uninformed people out there ready to drop some serious coin

with out knowing what the hell they are buying. Crazy people if you ask me.

I reported it as well...

11 hours left in the auction.

I bet the seller is stoked thinking his pay day is on the way.

Hopefully there won't be a NGD on the boards with a "Limited Edition Custom"

21 bids and it's over $2K...

Man there are some uninformed people out there ready to drop some serious coin

with out knowing what the hell they are buying. Crazy people if you ask me.

I reported it as well...

11 hours left in the auction.

I bet the seller is stoked thinking his pay day is on the way.

Hopefully there won't be a NGD on the boards with a "Limited Edition Custom"

They might not be legitamate bids. Could be friends of the seller raising the price for possible last minute bidders who might not know it's fake. Or people who know its fake and have no intention of paying.

Nice finish' date=' though...[thumbup

Perhaps we should, after all, be careful about how, exactly, we can spot fakes a mile off....

I have always said that. We say far too much on here that can help the con artists....including

sharing serial numbers.

well' date=',, educate me fellas,, how would you know this is a "fake" ?????[/quote']

Look at an authentic Gibson and look at that one. Tell me you can't see the differences. Cutaway, spacing of the TOM from the tail piece, crooked diamond, rosewood fretboard, shape of the headstock, placement of the tuning keys just to name a few.

I got an e-mail from ebay saying they were going to investigate both the item and the seller in question.

I have always said that. We say far too much on here that can help the con artists....including

sharing serial numbers.

I used to be firmly of the opinion that it was important for us' date=' who are "in-the-know", to educate those who couldn't spot the difference(s) so as to avoid the situation where a parent buying a present for their offspring might be scammed.

I may have to adjust that opinion.

well' date=',, educate me fellas,, how would you know this is a "fake" ?????[/quote']

Just study the 'look' for yourself. You should be able to see about a dozen problems with that instrument...

I've said it a million times, but being able to tell the difference is A LOT easier than most people think. And, as MojoRedfoot said, just looking at a pic of a 1 real Gibson LP is enough "training" to be able to spot a fake.

Also, no matter what we say or what information we give, they're NEVER going to be able (or be willing to spend the money) to make a "perfect" copy, so that point is moot. Now, I'm not saying that it is necessarily a good thing to point out EVERY little detail as to what's wrong with them (and we shouldn't have to), but if they were trolling these forums, looking for "tips", then I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't be seeing these POS, and so many (too many IMHO) of these types of threads.

Just my .02

...no matter what we say or what information we give' date=' they're NEVER going to be able (or be willing to spend the money) to make a "perfect" copy, so that point is moot...[/quote']

I agree. The counterfeiters will be unwilling to spend the money necessary to make a perfect copy.

We don't need to point out every flaw in all of the fakes being produced. Usually one single point is enough to tell a fake LP Standard, 'Suprome' or Custom from the genuine article; the fret-end binding.

To bind the ends of the frets - as per Gibson - would take too much time as it must, by the very nature of the job, be executed by hand. I've never (yet!) seen a fake with properly bound 'nibs'.

If they Do get this sorted out then we can go onto the next irregularity but I suspect we will have a long wait.

Archived