Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone tell me about a 2008 Custom LP in Oxblood?

Orion

I ran across a 2008 Les Paul Custom. It is oxblood and I was told it was a limited color and has since been discontinued. The only other time it was used is on the Jeff Beck custom. It has gold hardware. I was also told this came standard with Burstbucker 2 & 3 pickups.

Anyone know how many were made in this color?

I noticed the new ones come with different pickups. When did that change and why?

Does it have a long neck tenon?

Thanks.

If it's the regular Swiss Cheese Custom then it's the 490R/498T combo.

There are other Custom models which have Burstbuckers...

Call Gibson Customer Service with the Serial Number and they can confirm exactly what you are looking at.

I'm horrible at describing tones... but to me the Burstbuckers have a more classic rock sound where

the 498T/490R PUPs come across darker to me... Not better or worse but different.

Some excellent discussions out there on the 498T/490R and Burstbuckers...

I'd hit up the forums for some additional info.

498T/490R

Burstbucker

Thanks.

I'm going to be looking for a set of aftermarket pickups to put in. I've had a set of WCR's in a historic but now I'll have to find a set that would work well with a Custom.

Guest rogerb

Burstbucker 2 and 3 have historically accurate unevenly wound coils which create an airy kind of tone. The 490R has a traditional tone with enhanced highs, the 498T has a high output with enhanced mids and highs.

Burstbucker 2 and 3 have historically accurate unevenly wound coils which create an airy kind of tone. The 490R has a traditional tone with enhanced highs' date=' the 498T has a high output with enhanced mids and highs. [/quote']

This is a great description - concise yet specific. It is now what I'll refer to mentally when trying to keep them straight. Thanks for pitching in! #-o

Archived