Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Firebird ground problem

Just bought a new Gibson Firebird V and was dismayed to find on arrival it has a grounding problem. Tried it on three amps and crossed referenced with my other guitars it sounds like a ground problem to me.

If I am playing or have my fingers on the strings it is fine but if I just have both hands on the wood there is a very distinct hum/buzz. The Guitar has traveled from Nashville to Germany to Sweden so I guess somewhere along the line the guitar has taken a knock.

Obviously being a new guitar I am under warranty and I want a playable Firebird asap........

So has anyone else had this problem and who do I contact Gibson or the supplier Thomann...????

It definitely sounds like a grounding problem to me, but I'm sure it can be fixed easily.

If I were you, I would notify Thomann first. They are excellent about honoring their three year warranty. I don't know if they can make electrical repairs, but it is possible.

As an aside: In the future you should think about using the Lounge for these sorts of questions. I don't think this section of the forum has as many visitors, which explains why you're not getting very many responses.

Maybe one of the moderators can move the thread for you...

Good luck!

It definitely sounds like a grounding problem to me' date=' but I'm sure it can be fixed easily.

If I were you, I would notify Thomann first. They are excellent about honoring their three year warranty. I don't know if they can make electrical repairs, but it is possible.

As an aside: In the future you should think about using the Lounge for these sorts of questions. I don't think this section of the forum has as many visitors, which explains why you're not getting very many responses.

Maybe one of the moderators can move the thread for you...

Good luck!

[/quote']

Thanks fella will do....will haang in the lounge next time.....wondered why getting no response, even sniffed my armpits...

I have a Gibson Explorer and had a SG that does the same thing.

If you are NOT touching the strings, bridge, stopbar etc you would hear a slight buzz/hum.

As soon as you touched them the buzz/hum would quiet down.

If you had a grounding problem the issue would be the opposite. The buzz/hum would get louder when you touched the strings.

Read this article as it explains why.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

EMG pickups actually address this issue.

I copied the below from the EMG install manual.

When installing EMG Active Pickups, DO NOT connect the bridge

ground wire. This wire is usually soldered to a volume or tone

control casing and goes to the bridge. This wire grounds the

strings and uses them and your body as a shield against hum and

buzz. It also creates a shock hazard

EMG Pickups are shielded internally and DO NOT require string

grounding. This greatly reduces the possibility of reverse

polarity shock from microphones and other equipment.

I have a Gibson Explorer and had a SG that does the same thing.

If you are NOT touching the strings' date=' bridge, stopbar etc you would hear a slight buzz/hum.

As soon as you touched them the buzz/hum would quiet down.

If you had a grounding problem the issue would be the opposite. The buzz/hum would get louder when you touched the strings.

Read this article as it explains why.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

EMG pickups actually address this issue.

I copied the below from the EMG install manual.

When installing EMG Active Pickups, DO NOT connect the bridge

ground wire. This wire is usually soldered to a volume or tone

control casing and goes to the bridge. This wire grounds the

strings and uses them and your body as a shield against hum and

buzz. It also creates a shock hazard

EMG Pickups are shielded internally and DO NOT require string

grounding. This greatly reduces the possibility of reverse

polarity shock from microphones and other equipment.[/quote']

Thanks ics will give that close attention....

posted in the lounge about this due to lack of traffic here

maybe best if all other posts about this go there....

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=33514

Thanks

My Flying V started doing that a while back, during troubleshooting I "tapped" the top of my bridge volume knob and it stopped buzzing INSTANTLY !!!

Occasionally, it starts up again, and the same cure has worked every time so far.........probably a total of 5-6 times.

I'm soon going to customize the V and the 1st thing I do will be to replace all 3 factory pots.

Hello Cooper,

Sorry to hear of the trouble with your new Gibson. The distributor/supplier is usually the best first point of contact for warranty issues so my best recommendation is to contact them for assistance. Most likely it's a small/easy fix.

It sounds like Bender 4 Life may have a broken solder joint on the casing of the bridge volume pot that may just need to be retouched. The pot may actually still be good.

Archived