Gibson Brands Forums

1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom

tepidy

Nice! Les Paul Customs rock! Especially in black. If the pic in your sig is the guitar, it looks liike its in great condition for its age! Also, the Tull quote in your sig is awesome too! First band i ever really got into, and my first concert was tull.

thanks Sammich18 . That is my axe. Has a lot of battle wounds although no fractures of cracks. headstock and neck are great nice and chunky unlike most from this year. trying to figure out how to post pics. If you know let me know

Welcome back, tepidy.

Sold my 1980 Les Paul Custom black beauty and purchased a 1971 Les Paul Custom black beauty. Huge difference in tone and playablity.

Could you detail the differences you have experienced, please?

I'm very curious!

Hi pippy the 80 LP was a great guitar and served me well. The difference between that and the 71 LP is that the bridge pickup has a little more grit when you are driving your amp. The neck pickup is a little smoother and the neck has more chunk to it ( I like a big neck). Gibson did a great job in the 50's up through the very early 70's (up to about 72) on attention to detail with electronics/ wiring / capacitors. I think from mid 70's through 80's they may have been taking some shortcuts although never the less stayed great. This guitar is not weight relieved and still comes in at under 10lbs.

Thanks for the reply, tepidy.

I'm not too well up on my 'History of Gibson Pickups - 1970 to 1990' so it's interesting to read about your experience of the four!

Was there a period of overlap when you were able to choose which instrument you wished to play or did the '80 make way for the '71 immediately?

Pickup rings aren't original, but otherwise it looks great. Love those "Gibson" covers, too, which came out in late '71. I was running a retail store back then and sold the crap out of LP Customs. Black ones actually got somewhat scarce when they started doing cherry sunburst in '71. Funny that now those covers sell at a premium, but back in the day everyone hated them and I'd sell lots of sets of plain replacements. I like the rectangle, yellow lined case, too. That was right in the transition period where they went to the purple lined cases.

That era LP can be a gem or a dog, just depends. They went to multi-laminate bodies & necks in '69 and it seemed to have a huge effect on tone variability guitar to guitar. I had a '71 in cherry sb that I scored used that year off a guy who gave it up for pawn shop money. At the same time I had a (real) '60 Sunburst. To a man my bandmates liked the tone of the '71 better than the 60. Does it still have the little "fretless wonder" frets? We used to sell refrets along with new LP Customs, so many guys hated those little frets, me included. I had a local luthier who'd do it (not without complaining) and got so good at it you'd have thought it came from Gibson that way. I tried ordering them with full size frets from Gibson, run by Norlin at the time, and they'd get PO's about it.

Last year I stumbled across a well worn '72 LPC on Ebay. Low-balled the first bid and the guy accepted it. I took it as a sign that guitar was supposed to be mine. It has a much thinner neck profile than I remember most of them having, almost like a '60 RI. Was virtualy all-original except for a very common refret, an odd looking replacement amber switch tip and a Duncan '59 in the bridge slot. Funny that the guy had put the bridge pickup in the neck slot, and had the neck PU in the case pocket. I put it all back to original for awhile, but the brdge PU was indeed a bit weak, so we put the Duncan back in. Needed new Kluson waffleback tuners, reissues of which which are available from Tonepros. The RIs are much better than the originals. Also needed a replacement bridge as the original was collapsing. We're using a Tonepros AVRII on it and really like it. I had some old covers for the pickups, but unfortunately, with an old beater guitar with gold hardware replacements look too new.

1972LPCustomWeb3.jpg

Hi sok66 Yes the frets are the original fretles wonder frets and still have a little life left in them. I prefer medium jumbo frets although I will leave this axe in its original state right now. I thing my neck is atipical to this year, it is really chunky (not quite that of the 57' but close)

Pickup rings aren't original' date=' but otherwise it looks great. Love those "Gibson" covers, too, which came out in late '71. I was running a retail store back then and sold the crap out of LP Customs. Black ones actually got somewhat scarce when they started doing cherry sunburst in '71. Funny that now those covers sell at a premium, but back in the day everyone hated them and I'd sell lots of sets of plain replacements. I like the rectangle, yellow lined case, too. That was right in the transition period where they went to the purple lined cases.

That era LP can be a gem or a dog, just depends. They went to multi-laminate bodies & necks in '69 and it seemed to have a huge effect on tone variability guitar to guitar. I had a '71 in cherry sb that I scored used that year off a guy who gave it up for pawn shop money. At the same time I had a (real) '60 Sunburst. To a man my bandmates liked the tone of the '71 better than the 60. Does it still have the little "fretless wonder" frets? We used to sell refrets along with new LP Customs, so many guys hated those little frets, me included. I had a local luthier who'd do it (not without complaining) and got so good at it you'd have thought it came from Gibson that way. I tried ordering them with full size frets from Gibson, run by Norlin at the time, and they'd get PO's about it.

[img']http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/sok66/72%20Les%20Paul%20Custom/1972LPCustomWeb3.jpg[/img]

Hi sok66,

I was wondering if you can help me out. I got my hands on a 68/69 body and neck Lp Custom and my luthier is rebuilding it at the moment. It was strip to the wood and remained as such for the past 25 odd years. Both me and my talented luthier agreed that this Lp has so much potential that it could well be the Custom here locally tonewise.

I am looking for a replacement tail piece and contemplating between a conventional Gibson or a lightweight. Which would you think would give better tone?

Hi sok66,

I was wondering if you can help me out. I got my hands on a 68/69 body and neck Lp Custom and my luthier is rebuilding it at the moment. It was strip to the wood and remained as such for the past 25 odd years. Both me and my talented luthier agreed that this Lp has so much potential that it could well be the Custom here locally tonewise.

I am looking for a replacement tail piece and contemplating between a conventional Gibson or a lightweight. Which would you think would give better tone?

• 11 months later...

I had a black '68 custom that looked very much like yours. I had to replace the pup covers and the tailpiece and bridge. The previous owner had very acidic sweat, and had actually blistered the metal. Mine had the "frettless wonder" frets, too, but I just got used to them in time.

A very nice guitar...you were lucky to find it.

Fender. I'd go with the original parts-the tone on these older Customs ia fine as it is, at least to me.

mark

I have what appears to be a 1972 LP Custom. The Odd thing is that the pot codes state that the pots were made in 1974. In the past few years I've run into two other people that had what they thought were 1972's, one had '74 pot codes & the other '75. It's as if a pile of these were started near completion, and wired two to three years later, possibly due to slow sales? Has anybody else run into this with Les Paul Customs from the early '70s?

1972GibsonLesPaulCustom.jpg

grog-

those knobs are from a '76. what's the back of the headstock look like? if it has a "00" stamped serial number in gold, it's a 76.

another diagnostic element: fretwise, a '72 would have had the itty bitty 'fretless wonder' frets. a '76 would have had the low, wide, flat frets that had been used on deluxes and SGs and which gibson started using on customs in late '75...

chris

Archived