Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 question

mooboo

My '03 has gold Grovers and no banner. It has a crown.

Back then the RW had an ebony board/bridge. I don't know when that changed, or how long it was in effect?

[crying]

It's a VERY GOOD guitar.

Best of luck.

My 07 J-45 VS came with the white buttons like AJSC's and no banner.

I want to say they switched to the Grovers in 08. But I'll bet RAR has the definitive answer.

Interestingly, my J-45 has the orange label; my Songwriter Deluxe, the white label. Both from the same year.

FWIW, I like the white buttons a lot better than the Grovers, too. But some folks really prefer the Grovers.

I'm pretty sure that the mahogany had white buttons and the rosewood had gold Grovers and a crown, the "Modern Classics" anyway - no banners on the regular run of J-45s. I bought my rosewood in 2008 & researched pretty thoroughly before buying. #-o

I'm pretty sure that the mahogany had white buttons and the rosewood had gold Grovers and a crown' date=' the "Modern Classics" anyway - no banners on the regular run of J-45s. I bought my rosewood in 2008 & researched pretty thoroughly before buying. :-k

[/quote']

So yours must have those big ugly Grovers like mine, eh?

[biggrin]

FWIW' date=' I like the white buttons a lot better than the Grovers, too. But some folks really prefer the Grovers.

[/quote']

Yes . . . the Grovers work fine, but they are really chunky and heavy and they make the neck really heavy and unbalanced. I like the way J-45's feel so light and with them Grovers on they don't anymore. I hope they switch back to the white button yuners soon. Nickel Waverlies would be nice too, but costly.

Murph-- is your 45 a RW b/s? Only one I know if that would have the crown inlay and those tuners. The Std issue (here we go) early-historic-mod_classic/std J45 is early 50s appts, aka small guard, plain HS, bock logo. Cheers, JK

My 2001 has white tuners... silkscreen gold logo, no banner.

According to Gibson, it's simply a "Gibson J-45." Nothing fancy about it.

The tuners may or may not be original, though. They are Gibson Deluxe, but the previous owner changed the nut and saddle, so he may have changed the tuners as well.

My 2001 has white tuners... silkscreen gold logo' date=' no banner.

The tuners may or may not be original, though. They are Gibson Deluxe, but the previous owner changed the nut and saddle, so he may have changed the tuners as well.[/quote']

They sound like the original tuners.

So yours must have those big ugly Grovers like mine' date=' eh?

[cool

I love my Grovers...I don't care if they're big and ugly!

And it has an ebony board, a Baggs pickup and sounds AMAZING!

(and it still smells like roses and lacquer when you open the case [biggrin] )

My 2001 has white tuners... silkscreen gold logo' date=' no banner.

According to Gibson, it's simply a "Gibson J-45." Nothing fancy about it.[/quote']

It's funny, but reading your post brings to mind something that I've thought about now and again...

I love my J-45 "TV", but I've also heard a number of "simply" regular issue J-45s that sound fantastic. If I had my wish, Gibson would return to simply making regular ol' J-45s and just do the best job with it that they can — settling on things like the bracing type and other build factors that sound the best to the luthiers. Basically putting out the best guitar possible for the price they charge. They could offer them up with optional tuners, electronics or topwoods if the purchaser wanted to pay an upcharge, but they'd all be called a "J-45". No signature models, no TVs, etc. — just J-45s. Same would go for SJs, Hummingbirds, etc. And while I'm living out my little fantasy here, the J-45 RW would be given a different model designation (such as J-42 or or Rosewood Jumbo, whatever). I realize that there's probably more money in the way they're going about it right now (I'll admit that I really hate marketing sometimes), but hey, I can still dream.

All the best,

Guth

If I had my wish' date=' Gibson would return to simply making regular ol' J-45s and just do the best job with it that they can. No signature models, no TVs, etc. Guth [/quote']

I've had that dream. Like to see a plain D28 and Fender strat, too. Sadly, its all about niche markets and a proliferation of models, defined by purchasing power: boutique lines for the high-enders, "true-vintage" for upper-mids," and standards to imports for the rest. Sigh. Its what they do to survive, so what are you going to do? But its a great dream. J

I love my J-45 "TV"' date=' but I've also heard a number of "simply" regular issue J-45s that sound fantastic. If I had my wish, Gibson would return to simply making regular ol' J-45s and just do the best job with it that they can — settling on things like the bracing type and other build factors that sound the best to the luthiers. Basically putting out the best guitar possible for the price they charge. They could offer them up with optional tuners, electronics or topwoods if the purchaser wanted to pay an upcharge, but they'd all be called a "J-45". No signature models, no TVs, etc. — just J-45s. Same would go for SJs, Hummingbirds, etc. And while I'm living out my little fantasy here, the J-45 RW would be given a different model designation (such as J-42 or or Rosewood Jumbo, whatever). I realize that there's probably more money in the way they're going about it right now (I'll admit that I really hate marketing sometimes), but hey, I can still dream.

[/quote']

Not a bad point at all.

I went and looked at the j45 today. I prefer my cl a little better. Louder' date=' more defined mids and highs, not all mid. To each his own i guess :-

[/quote']

Well mooboo . . . it's worth trying a few more. They can be quite different and you may have just picked up a mediocre one.

Sorry the J45 disappointed. I've played some new ones in stores that did sound thin, for lack of a better word, though keep in mind this was a newbie, wheras yours has been played. Were the strings fresh and the same gague to your CLS?

Archived