Gibson Brands Forums

why didn't my 2006 LP custom (custom shop) have a COA ?

wolfman2020

I want to thank you guys for the positive posts,I don't consider a certificate of authenticity "CASE CANDY"..It's not a polishing cloth or strap.It is exactly what makes the difference in how much you could end up getting if you ever had to sell it...As far as one of those angry readers saying I might have buyers remorse,Guitar Center offered me a refund or a newer year of the same guitar that would have the COA with it and I told john the manager in Pensacola that I wanted the guitar I have. That I would take a replacemant only as a last resort. Again John Yeager the manager and Gary my salesman at the Pensacola Guitar Center store told me from the beginning that whatever it would take to make me happy, they would do! And what I did worked for me.Thank you again Gibson and Guitar Center AND everyone for your posts,This Forum and everyones comments and advise made it alot smoother ride for me..And I got my new Musicians Friend catalog today and in the ad for the new Gibson 339 it says comes with a COA. I wonder if that means you get a COA with it....WOLFMAN

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems hostility is mistaken here for sarcasm, as a reasonable person would not believe this, or any other guitar related board is run by a totalitarian. That is sarcastic, and yes Im guilty as charged. If I said I'm going to come to your house and eat your car, well thats hostile. I would like to end my involvement on THIS particular thread by saying:

1. Glad it worked out for the buyer

2. Glad Gibson pretty much broke their own rules and bent over backwards to make sure the customer is happy, the way business ought to be done

3. I STILL think its a big mistake to give up a keeper for a COA, to ME its just not that important.

Im still not sure how my original post is hostile, as things get lost/stolen out of big retailers ALL the time, GC is no exception.

At any rate, back slaps all around. No hard feelings, at least none here. If there are any totalitarians reading this, feel free to hang me by piano wire (sarcasm).

Thanks for the peaceful ending, joeydego.

Sarcasm is a difficult thing to read online, which may be why I took your post to be hostile. In fairness, though, the English major in me needs to emphasize that sarcasm itself can be--and often is--meant to communicate hostility and that both sarcasm and hostility often speak in metaphorical language.

I think that this precisely is part of what FennRx and I were talking about when the issue of hostility first came up in the thread. There seems to have been a strong shift in the forum toward a more "harsh" register of conversation. People say they mean it in good spirits, and I'm often willing to give them the benefit of a doubt, but I also know that more and more frequently, I see people chiming in at the end of threads with fairly harsh comments that clearly miss much of the detail of the thread's discussion.

Ignatius

Hey Ignatius, Thank you and you are on the money...One of the things said was "O you been playing for 40 years and you got your first guitar yadi yadi yadi grow up", Thats what was said toward me.I think It's hostile sarcasim.. I have a 1976 Ibanez Les Paul copy thats a guitar that is made as nice as my Gibsons,it feels as nice and sounds as nice since I changed the pickups.The guy saying anyone can make a COA with a color copier is just the person that makes me want the original certificate, There is alot of fake Les Pauls that are nice enough to fool buyers and THAT information comes straight from Gibson's website. I thought all the people with his attitude were over on the pokerstars website.I was wrong. Have you decided on your purchase yet? was it the ES 335 or the ES 339 you were looking at? and thanks again for all your help; Wolfman

2006 LP Custom (custom shop)

1978 LP Deluxe reg humbuckers

1978 LP standard

1985 LP Custom Shop

2005 LP DC

Does anyone know if any of these have a chip in it? And if any of them does, which ones?

Thanks Wolfman

• 2 weeks later...
yes' date=' we started doing this on all CS guitars approx. 1999/2000[/quote']

Can the chips be read by the chip scanners they sell for dogs?

Also I just bought a LP 57' custom VOS, can you tell me if it has the same amount of laquer/varnish on it that the glossy models have and if not, do you need to be more carefull with them?

thanks for any help.

Can the chips be read by the chip scanners they sell for dogs?

Also I just bought a LP 57' custom VOS' date=' can you tell me if it has the same amount of laquer/varnish on it that the glossy models have and if not, do you need to be more carefull with them?

thanks for any help.[/quote']

no idea about the chip reader, but yes, VOS guitars have the same amount of lacquer as glossy ones.

no idea about the chip reader' date=' but yes, VOS guitars have the same amount of lacquer as glossy ones.[/quote']

thanks for the answer, do you think a LP Custom VOS could appreciate in value over many years if taken good care of, or is it unlikely since in a way, its a copy of an already existing guitar?

thanks,

wolf.

What do you think of your 57 custom VOS ? I got mine last December . Im very impressed with it .
Hi Barry,

I only bought it a week ago, and I was a bit surprised buy the amount of buff marks on the body, but then I realised it was just part of the VOS process/finish.

In answer to your question, i'm really pleased with it and just like you, i'm very impressed.

Archived