Gibson Brands Forums

Should i get it??

MNicoli4

Ok, so im 14 and im a relatively good guitarist. I own an epiphone les paul and a strat. I like my les paul much more. I want to get a les paul junior but im not sure if im " good enough" to own a gibson. Am i crazy or should i hold off on getting a gibson?

I guess that would depend on , if you wanted it. It's your cash you know hehe. If you plan on sticking with guitar then I would. Some people here have the juniors and love them, good guitar. All and all, if it says Gibson, you can't go wrong [crying]

By the way, not to put crazy ideas out there but if you really wanted something a little more...A used studio might be the way to go too.

Ok' date=' so im 14 and im a relatively good guitarist. I own an epiphone les paul and a strat. I like my les paul much more. I want to get a les paul junior but im not sure if im " good enough" to own a gibson. Am i crazy or should i hold off on getting a gibson? [/quote']

what do you mean good enough to own a gibson? a gibson is a lump of wood with 6 strings and tone/volume knobs...wether you only know a open C chord or can play like gary moore...[crying], a guitar is a guitar...buy the gibson if you want it but be warned...it will not make you a better player BUT! you will own a gibson [biggrin]

I f you are reasonably able to buy a gibson, go for it. If I had been in the position to buy one when I first started playing over 30 years ago, I would have.

I bought my first at 47 years old.

I'm a firm believer in buying the best tools you can for any job. The question is what is reasonable to you or whomever is paying the tab.

Dave

Don't buy the Junior because thats the only one you can afford. Wait until you have a little more money and decide of the Junior is definitely what you want or if you'd really rather have a studio or standard. And buy a recent used one and save yourself 30%.

My first good guitar was a '67 SG Junior. It was a great guitar and I wish I had never sold it, but I ended up trading it in on a '74 SG standard as it was a more versatile guitar. Best bet is try the JR as well as a few other guitars in that price range (Studio, etc) and get the one that suits you best. Also as stated above check out used guitars as you'll get a much better deal. I personally prefer used as they are "pre broken in" ;-)

Good luck!

Ok' date=' so im 14 and im a relatively good guitarist. I own an epiphone les paul and a strat. I like my les paul much more. I want to get a les paul junior but im not sure if im " good enough" to own a gibson. Am i crazy or should i hold off on getting a gibson? [/quote']I was playing my uncle's 1974 Gibson LP Deluxe when I was 5 years old...sitting down of course, so yes![biggrin]

If there were an "ability" requirement for Gibson guitars, there'd be a lot of people out of a job.:-k

Get the Gibson! Hell, it may even make you a better player? Not the guitar itself, but because great guitars can be very inspirational in terms of how you play, and actually make you want to play more.

Get the Gibson! Hell' date=' it may even make you a better player? Not the guitar itself, but because great guitars can be very inspirational in terms of how you play, and actually make you want to play more.[/quote']

I agree with this 100%

I used to enjoy playing guitar but didn't take it too seriously. After I got my '64 Strat, however, I played it for longer and started to practice harder every day just because it was such a joy to own and play on such a wonderful instrument.

Get the Gibson if you can afford it and it feels 'right' for you.

Man, I would loved to have been able to look back when I was 35 and say..."this is my 1st Gibson Les Paul - I had it since I was 14"! I'm old and just started learning so I suck, but that doesn't keep me from getting the guitar(s) I want (like you - only $$$ does!).

I like the idea of waiting a bit longer IF what you want is a true Les Paul - studios are nice, and some are pretty cheap comparatively, (they have those faded/worns & 50s Tributes for under $800) and a nice used Trad/Standard can be found for a bit more.

If you have to 'settle' for the Jr, you can always trade up later, so even that wouldn't be a bad decision! Nothing like new gear to inpart some inspiration in learning!!...especially something you are proud of!

If you have the money why not ? go for it.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Archived