Gibson Brands Forums

Instrument Cable

Bluemoon

There is but youll probably notice better if you gig a lot, move around while playing, and use very long cables...

I use planet waves (from the cheapest to the most expensive ones) and i dont see any difference, the more expensive have features like gold plated plugs and switches for safe unplugging, the others are plain guitar cables but work fine.

A lot of guys around here use monsters, but i dont like them very much... not so much of a difference in quelity (if at all) but a real difference in price.

When i gig i use a whireless system (senheisser ew, very good and no signal degradation... with thousands of frequencies to chose and presets for both reciever and transmiter, both reciever and transmiter have digital display that lights up) but of course then you are talking some $500 and thats way more than a set of monsters...

I used to use Whirlwind Leaders. They were pretty good, or so I thought. A couple years back, I tried Sommer Spirit calbes and I prefer them to the Whirlwinds. The Sommers have more clarity to my ears. The sound seems more "alive" and seems to "breathe" more so than the it did with the Whirlwinds.

Sommer Spirits aren't exactly cheap, but they're not as expensive as many other high end cable. My source is Lava Cable.

Hey tim, what kind of setup do you use with your les paul? is it just les paul - cable - amp or something else? i´m currently using my les paul - cable - tunner pedal - patch cable (p.w.) - OD pedal - patch cable (p.w.) - Distortion pedal - cable -amp in - fx loop out - cable - delay unit - cable - fx loop in... a lot of cables, more than one could normaly want i think. All cables planet waves... but im willing to try other brands and see if theres a difference.

Well Thunder, I'm glad you asked about my Gibson Les Paul.

I don't really use effects with my Gibson Les Paul. Usually, I run my Gibson Les Paul directly into the amp.

Sometimes I bust out my Dunlop Dimebag Wah and use it my Gibson Les Paul, but that's it for effects. Actually, I'm a sucker for reverb. I'll get a delay pedal eventually. No new gear until the R9 is paid off.

Edit: As far as cables go, the name isn't important. It's really cable thickness you're after.

I'm using George L's and they are pricey but they seem to have a fuller sound than the sheap !0 dollar jobbies. Maybe it's just me but I hear a differance.

I've been flirting with the idea of buying a George L kit and making up cables to hook my whole rig together.

A/B my amps, run cables out of sight so the missus doesn't complain about cords everywhere.

Expensive, but I'm told it's worth it.

Anybody else like them?

I've got a little of everything sitting around right now from Fender California Cable (not bad for cheap, but they don't last very long) to Monster Studio Pro (great sound but they're kinda stiff.) What I use most often is Monster S-100 or Planet Waves. The pedal board is patched together with DiMarzio cables.

Archived