Gibson Brands Forums

Fender or Gibson?!

morty

hey

i finally decided if i bought a gibson i would buy the studio fireburst

but

I have looked into fenders a little and have seen the American special which i like but i like the les paul body more.

have also looked at prs i like there fret boards and body finish arghhhhh don't know which to buy though.

So could someone who has played a fender, gibson or a prs tell me which is a better made guitar, and which would be better for classic rock and hard rock.

i am most likely to buy the les paul though

hey

but

I have looked into fenders a little and have seen the American special which i like but i like the les paul body more.

have also looked at prs i like there fret boards and body finish arghhhhh don't know which to buy though.

So could someone who has played a fender' date=' gibson or a prs tell me which is a better made guitar, and which would be better for classic rock and hard rock.

i am most likely to buy the les paul though[/quote']

[biggrin] :)

Tough to say as they're both great brands and ultimately it's really a matter of personal taste. I suggest you go play 'em all and let us know what you decide. We'll support your decision either way... but more if you choose Gibson. [biggrin]

Morty,

If you look at the great bands from the past few decades, you'll see that any of the guitars you mentioned can do a fantastic job at both classic and hard rock. I've heard that PRS are the best made guitars in terms of detailed craftsmanship, but it's still like trying to pick the prettiest girl from the "100 sexiest women" list. There's no such thing as a bad pick.

And speaking of girls: It's understandable that you're a bit tense about this decision. Your first pro-level guitar purchase (I assume this is your first?) can feel like a big deal. But consider - you're NOT getting married. You can always sell a guitar. Or buy one of each (which is discouraged with wives).

As you'll hear often on this forum - go look at the guitars in person, play them, listen to them. And then go with your gut, not the opinions of random peoples on teh interwebs. [biggrin]

hey

but

So could someone who has played a fender' date=' gibson or a prs tell me which is a better made guitar, and which would be better for classic rock and hard rock.

i am most likely to buy the les paul though[/quote']

I just wanted to quote you unnecessarily.

My only advice about the American Special would be to spend the little extra and get an American Standard, or spend a little less and get a High end Mexican Strat. The American Special is very much a Mexican Fender, just made in the American Factory, so you really are paying for the MIA even though it's the cheapest MIA model there is. With the Standard, you're paying for higher quality and features, like Neck Tilt Adjustment.

Go with your gut.

If he is going to go with his gut he needs the comfort of the countour body of a Stratocaster.

The Gibson LP Axcess has a belly cut for comfort. [flapper]

They are all well made. But if I had to choose one (only one), I'd get a LP - because I'd rather have (IMHO) the more versatile fat sounding bite of a high output bucker setup for rock than the single coil Fenders which are a bit lacking in the mids. BTW, I've got both Gibbies and Fenders.

I've played all three and can tell you all three are made well.

If he played all three surely one of them will feel 'better' or 'more comfortable' than the others. The Fender wouldn't have the fat neck that the other two have, for instance. And he'd have to notice the difference between the single coil and humbucker sound.

One of them WILL make a better impression than the other two I would think.

...And speaking of girls: It's understandable that you're a bit tense about this decision. Your first pro-level guitar purchase (I assume this is your first?) can feel like a big deal. But consider - you're NOT getting married. You can always sell a guitar. Or buy one of each (which is discouraged with wives)....

Actually, it's fairly easy (unfortunately) to get rid of a wife (or for a wife to get rid of a husband).

A TATTOO, on the other hand...now THAT'S hard to get rid of. Those things just don't EVER wash off!

I say buy the LP Studio. You can always pick up a good Mexican Strat later.

Tough choice... All 3 are good guitars so I guess it really boils down to your budget.

I don't really fancy Strats so I can't give you any advise on it.

I really like PRS's, make no mistake about the hype regarding their build quality and sound.

BUT....

if you really want a Les Paul sounding guitar. Go with the Gibson Les Paul. Even the PRS Singlecut doesn't come close to the Gibson Les Paul sound. Try them out extensively and you'll know what you're looking for.

My only advice about the American Special would be to spend the little extra and get an American Standard' date=' or spend a little less and get a High end Mexican Strat. The American Special is very much a Mexican Fender, just made in the American Factory, so you really are paying for the MIA even though it's the cheapest MIA model there is. With the Standard, you're paying for higher quality and features, like Neck Tilt Adjustment.[/quote']

Agreed 100% on the Am Std.

My guess is based on the price of the Fender and Gibson you're looking at mean you are alos looking at the PRS SE. I'd say scratch that since it's not even a real PRS. Save that money and put it towards a real one.

hey guys, i have finally made my made up, i have decided to get the gibson, but not the studio, instead the traditional goldtop its an extra £600 but i think i will like the traditional more, so i have to save another £600 whoooo- but for that sweet goldtop, i think so!

Good choice. While a USA PRS is awesome - they are some big $$$. Don't bother w/the SE...not bad, but no way a Gibson (or Fender).

To me there is something about Gibson humbuckers, like the 57s - I think the sound is amazing. My 1st electric was an Ebony Traditional, the 2nd an Am Dlx. I had almost made up my mind to get the Fender 1st ($$), but I KNEW I wanted an LP, and when I played it, easy choice. The Am Dlx also had nice tones but it wouldn't replace my #1 Gibson (now a 336). I had a PRS SE for goofing with - yawn.

Archived