Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite SG player

the guitar butcher

I like Angus also' date=' but I'm sure Iommi is more influential, the man pretty much created heavy metal. When did Angus create a whole genre of music? Your favorite, sure, but the most influential,I think not[biggrin']

AC/DC brought a whole new meaning to Rock N' Roll. Before them rock was no where near as heavy, rude, or crude. So maybe not Angus as an individual player, but the band itself helped to shape rock into what it is today. However, the same is true for Black Sabbath. They became the face of Heavy Metal in the 70's. Before them no one was as dark and evil as they were. And yes Iommi was probably the first guitarist to use that heavy, deep, metal sound.

So i guess this is a battle of opinions.

I'm kind of surprised at all the Angus fans' date=' dont get me wrong , I love Angus too but he is SO simplistic, all his sings are open D A C G chords, I do think he's a very good guitarist but dont think he is in the caliber of Iommi[/quote']

Angus does use mostly pents, but he has a wicked vibrato and plays with a lot of attitude, which to me is just as, if not more, important than playing a thousand notes a minute .

My favorite three are the same as most of you guys , Zappa - Iomi - Angus , but which one I like the best depends on what I feel like listening to on that day.

Angus does use mostly pents' date=' but he has a wicked vibrato and plays with a lot of attitude, which to me is just as, if not more, important than playing a thousand notes a minute .

[/quote']

I'll agree with you there !!!! I would MUCH rather hear a guitar player that plays with feel and emotion and style then sit and listen to "a thousand note a minute" player,, NO doubt about that, while I can appreciate the speed player, typically they play with no feel and I get tired REAL fast of that style [biggrin]

Hell no. As church of the sonic guitar approved his playing in Cream was' date=' once you turn in your rock fire for pop blues and a Strat, that's it; you're cut off.

[/quote']

Finally, someone willing to tell the truth about Clapton; after he switched over to Fenders full time, he lost the fire in the belly. And if you've ever played an Eric Clapton Signature Strat, you have to ask yourself; he put hum-canceling pickups in it and an onboard preamp to boost the Strat pickups to Gibson output levels...wouldn't it have been just as easy to stick with the Les Paul or an SG? All of Clapton's best work was done on Gibsons.

Clapton never really was a Gibson man anyway. He played the SG and decided that's not him. That's ok, he is still one of the greatest regardless of what guitar he plays.

Some other SG players to note:

Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd

Dave Murray of Iron Maiden (he had a triple pickup custom SG)

Pete Townsend at #1, Glen Buxton at #2 and Buck Dharma at #3.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Limited Robot (Purple)

2001 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top with birds

1979 Gibson E2 Explorer

1990's Steinberger GL4T

1965 Fender Mustang

1976 Fender Statocaster

1995 Rickenbacker 360/12

1972 Martin D-35

1973 Martin D-18

Hernandez Classical

Epiphone SG with Roland GK2 Pickup

Marshall 100 watt TSL Head

Marshall 1960 A Speaker Cabinet