Gibson Brands Forums

Welp

Eitoip

Since this has become a GC debate' date=' I'll add my thoughts.

They aren't IMO a bad place to buy your guitar. They probably have the largest selection of Gibsons you will find. Just know the basics before you go looking. When I bought my LP, noone there explained anything to me about the differences in 50s vs 60s necks, BBs vs 490R/498T ot 496R/500T p/us, chambered/weight relieved ect.

As far as price, everyone has given some good advise on negotiating. I only slightly disagree when people begin to make them sound evil for wanting to make a profit. I don't go to my job and work for free so I don't expect that the GC employees do either. Just like buying a car, I don't expect that I will ever get that car for the same price that the dealer paid for it. No company, including GC would stay in business if they sold that way.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be a happy camper when you finally come home with your new LP. [/quote']

Profit is not my issue with them. Dishonesty and ignorance is. I have seen GC salemen say some outrageous stuff that was blatantly wrong either to a) close the sale or :-& they didn't know any better and were just trying to make a sale.

I bought a Classic from them in 2006. I paid up front for it and they told me it would be a few days. I called after a few days and the SAME guy told me it would 2 or 3 months! I went down there and yelled and screamed and my guitar showed up in 2 days. They simply provide horrible customer service and I refuse to deal with them for that reason.

One option you have is to go to Guitar Center and find the Gibson you like best. Then go home and e-mail all the list of authorized Gibson dealers on Gibson site and see what they have in stock. You won't have to pay taxes or shipping for an out-of-state dealer.

Some of the people on this forum, though, will tell you that you need to play the guitar first. That's your call. It is probably the smart thing to do, but...

Go in there slightly disinterested, take up a lot of the salesmens time, find one you like but be ready to walk or act like you need some time to think it over. They really don't want you to walk out the door empty handed, especially if they've invested time in the sale.

Arm yourself with knowledge as much as you can before you go in because as was pointed out already, not all of them know what they're talking about so It's up to you to sift thru the B.S.

Since this has become a GC debate' date=' I'll add my thoughts. [/quote']

That's fair!

They probably have the largest selection of Gibsons you will find.

That's wrong! There are four GC's in Phoenix' date=' and my dealer of choice has more Gibsons than all four of them combined.

Bizarre Guitar on 7th Ave north of Indian School Road.

Check 'em out.

Oh, and they sell every day for less than GC will "discount" for their favorite "good customers."

When I bought my LP' date=' noone there explained anything to me about the differences in 50s vs 60s necks, BBs vs 490R/498T ot 496R/500T p/us, chambered/weight relieved ect.[/quote']

That's normal....

I only slightly disagree when people begin to make them sound evil for wanting to make a profit.

SPLASH!!! You've completely missed the boat.

Just like buying a car' date=' I don't expect that I will ever get that car for the same price that the dealer paid for it. [/quote']

Nobody here does.

But I'm not gonna sit idley by and watch a retailer rape people as a normal course of business.

NOBODY is a more fervent Capitalist than me, and I own a small business myself.

I'd be afraid of getting my *** kicked and my house burned down if I did business like Guitar Center.

I have to agree with above. Some of the local stores have a much better selection and are much more competitive on prices. They don't want to lose business to a chain. They also don't check your bags on the way out to make sure you aren't stealing anything.

I was just in a GC in a suburb of Chicago. Their selection of guitars kind of sucked and the conditions of those on display were pretty bad. They are basically selling used guitars for new prices.

Hey BM,

I was in Chicago last May and was told Makin' Music was the place to go.

Turned out to be pretty cool!

They didn't have alot of guitars but what they had was NICE.

What blew me away was the amp selection!!!

What else is there in the area for cool high end shops?

Archived