Gibson Brands Forums

First tune

Johnt

Prompted by Jinder with his post re his new guitar ( c-165) playing a duet with his lady on her new guitar("mid price Ibanez" Like your style mate!), I was wondering if anyone else has a favourite tune/song they play when they pick up a new guitar?

Somehow for me , when I pick up any acoustic, it's always "If I were a carpenter" because I like the run down in D.

12 string, 6 String it's all the same.

The first fingerstyle bit is usually "Classical Gas" or rather the amount I can play of that.

What's yours

BR

John

If I buy a new guitar, the first thing I play on it is a hymn, usually "A Closer Walk With Thee" or "Softly and Tenderly".

If I'm just trying a guitar, or checking the tuning on one of my own, I usually run through Led Zeppelin's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", The Eagles' "Hotel California", or Eva Cassidy's version of "Autumn Leaves", amongst others.

Or if I'm feeling like a real showoff, I'll hit my acoustic arrangement of Jimi's "Little Wing", a jaw-dropper if I do say so myself, LOL!

Uncle Buck

Well, this thread is evidence that I need new glasses because I thought it said 'First Tuna', and I wondered why John would be interested in tuna?

Anyway, I always love knowing what people play as a first song on their new guitar! I consider it the champagne striking the ship's side as it takes its maiden voyage. If you make note of what song you first played, you will always remember where you were as a musician when you bought the guitar.

When I'm in the store, I'm like Laura, play a few chords, see how well I can do barre chords on it, see how they sound up the neck, travis pick some, etc. I might play a song but not usually a whole song. If I do, I'll play Caleb Meyer (GW) or In My Dreams (ELH).

gilliangirl wrote:Well' date=' this thread is evidence that I need new glasses because I thought it said 'First Tuna'

Karen, my first tuna was an albacore!

And as we all know, you never forget your first tuna!

Archived