Gibson Brands Forums

PUP's for my studio

Riffmeister

I am already thinking about pick ups for my recently aquired studio. I am looking for clearer,glassier tone from my neck PUP and more balls and crunch from the bridge. I am sure there are many opinions on this subject, so fire away. I like this guitar very much but find it very bassy through my blues jr. Maybe it's because up to now it's just been my two strats through this amp. I haven't tried any effects yet, that could get me a little more of what I'm searching for.

I try to keep my amp fairly neutral. My BJ is set for 2 on mids, 4 on Bass and 6 on Treble. I usually have the master about 6 and the volume around 8. All of my black face amps are the same volume 6 to 8, trble on 6 and bass and 3 or 4.

I use and extensive array of Fulltone pedals including the mini deja vibe, fat boost, OCD, Fulldrive II and I throw a little Boss DS1 for dirt. I have no problem getting real clean neck tones and lots of balls with the bridge.

If you look at a pickup chart those 490/498s are pretty well rounded pickups. I wouldn't change mine for anything.

This is for home playing. The only thing that might get you a little more hair is the ceramics in the Classic. The Burstbuckers and 57s have less output than the ones in the Studio. Maybe a set of Iommis.

Just tweak the amp and pedals and save yourself some bucks!

I really like the Pearly Gates by Seymour Duncan. When played on the clean channel they really sparkle also very warm and can be played with just about any type of music. Throw some distortion in and the really growl. Believe it our not the Screamin Demon is really bright in the neck position.

I know you can listen to them over at Seymour Duncan's website.

I am already thinking about pick ups for my recently aquired studio. I am looking for clearer' date='glassier tone from my neck PUP and more balls and crunch from the bridge. I am sure there are many opinions on this subject, so fire away.[/quote']

It sounds like you're facing the age old dilemma: You want Marshall dirty and Fender clean from one amp. A pedal is probably your answer; set your clean sound on the amp with the pedal off then dial in the pedal to get your dirty tone. Not the ultimate solution, but certainly the least expensive and back breaking.

I like this guitar very much but find it very bassy through my blues jr. Maybe it's because up to now it's just been my two strats through this amp. I haven't tried any effects yet' date=' that could get me a little more of what I'm searching for.[/quote']

Blues Juniors do not do low end very well and I have the same deal going on when I crank up the gain on mine. I find that beyond "5" on the Bass dial with the boost switch engaged all I'm adding is mud. A pedal can help a little, but it's still not going to sound like a big amp as it was never designed to do so. The Blues Junior is a great little amp for what it is, but it doesn't sound like a half stack.

In short, I don't think new pickups are going to get you to where you want to be.

Riff,

I just replaced the 498T / 490R pups in my Studio with Suhr Doug Aldrich humbuckers and I'm blown away. They're godly - hot but not obnoxious, clear and musical to the stops; with an open, throaty midrange accent that tone wet dreams are made of. The high end has a rich howl and just sings, and the bottom end is smooth, round and full. Not one hint of dirt or hair to be heard. They bring out the best in the guitar.

I thought that the BB Pros in nmy Standard were the shizzle............................they still are, but the Aldrich set blows them away. The Aldrich set is the best humbuckers I've ever played - well worth the price.

Archived