Gibson Brands Forums

Complaints.

LarryUK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not complaining. I was stating things I've read on this forum. there are lots of complaints here. I've had some great Les Pauls. Read the whole thread. also, I didn't know you had to be a current Gibson owner to be a member of this site. I could buy any Les Paul Gibson sell. I just do my research first.

I think gibson does a great job and offers guitars for all budgets. And I agree with most of thier pricing (really only exception is the hefty price for tom murphy aging he's good but not doubling the price of the guitar good. ) Charging a lot of money for a signature piece is thier right, after all they have to pay the artist for his name and why not he earned that and it doesnt matter if he needs the money or not. The alternative is dont buy an artist signature from the custom shop. Im sure if you had the talent to become a major rock star you would want to be paid. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Bravo Gibson you have done a great job over the many years

Gibson, just like other companies, has its share of lemons. The real issue is what action does Gibson or its authorized dealers take to correct a problem? I recently bought my first Les Paul ... a new Studio worn brown for less than $650 that was made in April of this year. It's an awesome guitar and plays great. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the machine head on the low E string had too much play in it. I went back to the authorized dealer and they simply replaced the machine head with a new one. No questions asked. That's what I call customer service. Sh*t happens with any type of device and I think Gibson and its dealers, from my personal experience, will step up to the plate if necessary. Remember, if you're an original purchaser, there's a lifetime warranty on the product ... if Gibson didn't have confidence in its product, it wouldn't provide that level of warranty. As for pricing, what are you complaining about? A Studio is a very affordable item and plays as good, if not better, than any LP out there. If you can't afford a higher priced model, you don't have to buy it. I have no problem with Gibson charging what the market will bear, as long as it produces a quality product. IMHO, Gibson does just that.

I prefer Gibsons, and own a few. I've owned and worn out a few as well.

There are a handfull of "whiners" that hang out here.

Sounds like you might be heading that way lashurst........

[biggrin]

I personally don't get why somebody wants to pay Gibson to make them a one-of-a-kind as if there aren't enough models out there to choose from.

Guitars can be modded for a lot cheaper, perhaps it will loose resale value but special orders are very personalized and not very marketable either, specially for the price initially paid.

Lashurt Gibson used to take special orders and would would with you closely to make you the exact guitar you want, there was a member in this forum that did just that the price tag was $10k if I remember correctly.

Gibson does not do that anymore, markets change and sands shift, if there isn't money in it why do it?

we as consumers control the market. If we want higher quality or lower costs the only thing you can do is refuse to buy. Anybody who "overpays" for a les paul let someone else tell them what is was worth. I own a standard deluxe, and a custom. The custom was twice as much, and i'll say you get what you pay for. Gibson, and fender customer service erps have always taken care of the customers who take care of them.

I know I sound like a moaner. I'm not really. I've been away from it for so long that things have changed so much. When I played. Solid state was a no no. But Reading up on things. Hughes & kettner looks a good product. I didn't know what prs was 'til I started Reading up again. I'm surprised how things have changed. I remember recording in a studio with a tom scholz rockman straight into the desk. Sign of things to come. This plekd machine that Gibson use. How does that work? There seems to be divided opinion on it.

No there is no law stating this, just a few very greedy dealers ripping people off over here. My Standard is listed as £1899, on most of the UK sites and shops I looked at. I found the very same Guitar on another european website for £1674. I contacted a UK dealer and asked for a price match, and would you believe it they agreed!! That was an instant saving of £225. How do they do it, I've no idea? I could have paid the original price and I'm sure that lot's of people probably have, and they've still made a big profit. I don't blame Gibson for selling such a beautifully made, iconic guitar for whatever price the market will bear. They have highly skilled employees who deserve to make a good living, and they also need to make a profit as a company. No, UK dealers have a lot to answer for IMHO.

Welcome to the real world! :-k

On-line dealers who often happen to also have huge store fronts do much to control pricing here in the US too. Ever check prices on Guitar Center, Muscian's Friend, Sam Ash, Sweet Water, American Musical, etc. etc. ?? Sure they'll match a lower price, but ALL their prices are the same!!! hmmmm... You can imagine how much they are making on each $$$ guitar, when some local shops have the same exact guitars as much as $700 cheaper. And yet it sounds like these places sell a ton!!!

You were smart enough to actually shop around for yours, so could have gotten the better price; many people do not...do not know any better, or can't be bothered, or just don't have a convenient option.

And you are right - you should not blame Gibson (I thought you were originally!) - if we keep buying them (which we do), then they'll keep selling 'em - for whatever we will pay...and if we keep buying 'em, ALL dealers will keep getting whatever they can get.

Gibson, like most other brands, does offer a pretty extensive line-up these days - seem to cover just about any price point!

Yay Capitalism! [blush]

I don't know which model to go for. I always liked custom. But the standard looks nice in honyburst. Or the yellow. I fancy a 335 but can't make my mind up. There's an old saying. To use it here it would be. Don't try and find the guitar. It'll find you. So one'll find me. You all must know that feeling when you set eyes on it and it just says "buy me".

This thread is funny in a way. First it starts out moaning about Gibson and the way it is run. Gibson is run to make money. plain and simple. if you want to pay the price for one of their better guitars ,you do. you get what you pay for. that's easy to understand. Gibsons hi-end guitars are better.

they are made better using better materials. made by better Craftsmen. If you think that Gibson Sig guitars are the same as a GC Standard, think again.the are not. I don't care for them myself (sigs), but there is a market for them. I know the difference as i own a few, of the Custom shop and USA models. I think some of you don't know or have forgot, as i understand Gibson sets the prices for their guitars. Nothing in life is free. Please, stop the complaining, it's only money and no one takes it with them. lets move on to a more impotant issue. ie: anything.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Ok. Onto the subject of guitar choice.

I've just been looking on You Tube and There's a player named Pete Downes. He's using a Gibson 359 with a Bigsby. A really nice sound. Also I've just read that the Peter Frampton 3 p,up Les Paul custom is a total hollow body and the middle p,up is always on.. ie 335. has anyone tried one. It must sound different.

Bigbill, your avatar is giving me nightmares.

lasthurst, now your deciding which one to get? Kind of did a 360 there! Thinking about one of those overpriced sig models that you opened this thread with bashing?

Every few weeks some guy registers for this forum and posts a thread about how overpriced and low quality Gibson guitars are, and never posts again. I would guess that in many cases, this is some Aerosmith, G&R, or Led Zeppelin fan that is frustrated that they dont have the scratch for a new Les Paul. Maybe they cruised the Fender forum and heard some Strat player bash Gibson quality and took it as fact. I have seen users rate new products as "crap" before they have even been released. This equals low product ratings because of rants by people who have never even seen or played the new model!

I hope you remain a user and contribute quality comments to our discussions. If you decide to buy a Gibson, I think you will be pleased with the high standard of quality and service that this company offers. Anyone can register and post almost anything they want, so I dont think that an internet forum is the right place to form an opinion about a product. I suggest that you go to a dealer and start playing guitars.

I wasn't complaining. I was commenting on the amount of complaints on this forum.

I love Gibsons. I've had three Les Pauls. Two Customs and a Les Paul Pro. So I know what they're like.

I've played all sorts of Gibsons over the years. I've just been away from playing for a time, and all I've done is agree with comments about some guitars being overpriced. The main reason many people come to these forums is to complain of boast. Yes?

I skipped a lot of the posts. If I'm just repeating what somebody else said, sorry.

I know you guys in the UK complain about paying more for a Gibson than we do in N. America but I wonder if that's due to the distributors or your government? It might just be a hefty tax imposed by your gov't for a product made in the US. We have an agreement here (NAFTA) that allows products made in Canada/US/Mexico to cross the border without any additional duty. I live in Canada and if I go to the US to buy a Gibson guitar, I have to pay Canadian sales tax on it when I return to Canada (13% in my province). If I go to the US and buy an Epiphone, I will pay 13% sales tax at the border PLUS additional duty because that Epi was not made in N. America. Maybe that's why you guys across the pond pay more? Have any of you bought a Gibson from the US? If so, did you pay a lot of import fees with it arrived?

lashurst...as for the price, Gibson guitars are a luxury item. Nobody actually needs a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Custom, or reissue. Just as nobody actually needs a BMW, Benz or Ferrari...but of you want one, you're going to pay a premium for it. People who love Gibson guitars often complain about particular new models before they even play them; so, how much is their opinion really worth? Not much if you ask me.

For the record, I think Gibson guitars are priced well and there are plenty choices out there; so, you aren't forced to buy an ubber expensive one...but if you want an ubber expensive one, either suck it up and pay for it or look to the used market. There are two prices - asking (advertised) price and selling (actual) prices. Gibson guitars are a lot like cars. When you go to a car dealership and see a car for $30,000, do you actually pay $30,000? Sometimes yes & sometimes no. It depends on the dealer and the car. If you buy a Gibson from the right dealer, you'll get a guitar at a very good price and won't loose much money if you ever need to sell it. If you buy from the wrong dealer and pay full price, you'll loose a lot if/when you sell it.

As for Gibson producing exact replicas of '50s LPs, that'll never happen. Those '50s LPs had Brazilian rosewood fretboards and I'm not sure if you know this but Gibson has officially stated they will not use Brazilian rosewood again; so, that right there puts an end to the possibility of an exact replica.

I just bought a 1958 reissue myself and I love it.

Pics!! [biggrin]

Over here we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars. Yet at the moment I think it 1.5 to the £. We've always been ripped off here. We pay nearly £6 a gallon for petrol. The new ipad. Is more here than anywhere in Europe. It truly is rip off Britain. I like it how Americans are so patriotic 'cause over here if I say I'm proud to be English I'd be called a racist. But that's not guitars. The best playing Les Paul I've had was my Les Paul pro. It was a deluxe with an ebony fretboard and p90's. I personally thought the ebony made the fretboard play smoother. I'm going to a dealer at the weekend to look at some. I like the thought of a 356 though. We'll see.

Every few months we get one of these threads where a new person comes on and asks what they think is a simple question, and and it quickly snowballs to 3 pages of back-and-forth.

There are good points regarding "new" people coming on and making the first post a Gibson bashing post, and those people can probably expect some pushback from loyal Gibson customers who have invested a lot of money on those guitars. But, IMO lashurst OP wasn't really complaining, just stating that he read a lot of complaints from other people.

Welcome to the Forum lashurst. Hope you pick a nice Gibson that you'll be happy with. Don't let this thread drive you off.

Saturn. Thanks. I bought my first Les Paul when I was 16. A sunburst custom. I worked hard to pay for that. £550 If I remember right. So I've been a Gibson fan From then. I should imagine it's hard for most people to afford one now. I'm keeping my eye out for whatever it is I buy. I've noticed some Les Pauls in local free mags. Some people will have to let theirs go because of money troubles. So there could be a bargain to be had.

I wouldn't say whining. Most of the posts on that thread were personal views of that model. I really am surprised that inlays are now plastic. I DO think too many models make for lower quality. After Reading threads on this forum there're a lot of complaints about Gibson. All I've done is compress those threads into one. It has shown me that there are a lot of forum users that like to 'show off' that they've a lot of gibsons. There're people that love Gibson just because it's Gibson. I loved Gibson because they were great guitars and until I've tested the new models I can't say my current view. As far as the McGibson quote. Most big companies are like that now.

Over here we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars. Yet at the moment I think it 1.5 to the £. We've always been ripped off here.

Good thing you don't live in my part of the Caribbean!!!

With the exchange rate a LP Studio costs approx. $8000 local currency.

[lol]

We pay nearly £6 a gallon for petrol. The new ipad. Is more here than anywhere in Europe. It truly is rip off Britain. I like it how Americans are so patriotic 'cause over here if I say I'm proud to be English I'd be called a racist. But that's not guitars. The best playing Les Paul I've had was my Les Paul pro. It was a deluxe with an ebony fretboard and p90's. I personally thought the ebony made the fretboard play smoother. I'm going to a dealer at the weekend to look at some. I like the thought of a 356 though. We'll see.

Dunno about petrol or ipad here.

The LP pro sounds pretty cool.

The 356 sounds cooler.....and looks awesome!

Archived