Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Turtleboy

I have had my Standard for 2 weeks now & am about to replace the strings as I find them almost cutting my fingers & find them uncomfortable to play. Is this a common problem with Gibsons, Brite Wires? I find my Strat with Ernie Balls so much more comfortable to play. My Standard had probably been on display for at least a month before I bought it, so there could have been loads of guys playing/trying it as the strings are showing signs of tarnishing already & I always wash my hands before playing. My Strat on the other hand has had more use than the Standard in the last 2 weeks & the strings on it which I replaced over a month ago are still like new. I would have liked to keep using Gibson's strings on it but they just have to go, I am going to go with DR strings which I never tried before, but I have heard great things about, any comments would be appreciated.

When I get a guitar I always try various brands of strings just to see what I like best on that particular guitar. I'm not opposed to spending the time and money in the name of research and discovery. Consequently I've tried every major brand on all of my guitars and they all end up with Pyramids. They're not cheap and I have to buy them on the internet Just Strings but the sound and feel just can't be equaled. IMHO Another down side would be if you like a very low action (which I do) you may need to play a little higher. The Pyramids are a hand wound string and as with most hand wound strings the tension across the length of the string is not as consistent as a machine wound string. The string then needs a little more room to vibrate without touching the frets. That's the way it was explained to me anyway and I apologize if I'm wrong about that.

For the cost and availability though I would say Ernie Balls would be hard to beat. Even though they are much less expensive and more readily available than the Pyramids, they're almost as good to my fingers and ears. There's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Don

I love Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s myself....

I liked these so much on my GT, I ended up putting them on my Silverburst. Plus when I switch between the two, they feel alike.

BTW I was visiting my local GC to purchase strings and watched the tech restring a new Standard with DRs. I was rather surprised, since the buyer is expecting the Gibson Brites when he purchases his new Lester. And if the player is basing his opinion as to the feel and quality of a particular string, thinking he is buying one thing and getting something else. Thats just wrong.

I love Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s myself....

YES!!!

I bought a truckload of D'Addario 10's a couple years ago in a blowout sale, still trying to use them up.

They're cool but the Gibsons ROCK.

Still wound by hand by little old ladies. I'm serious!

Gibson strings have two strikes against 'em.

I like a higher nickel content, and the Gibsons are not discounted when you buy in bulk like the others.

Still, for some reason I like the way they feel and sound.

I dunno.

I've been using D'Addario 11's on my LP and ES-345 for years. As a professional musician I think they are the most consistent sounding and longest lasting string I've used. Over the last 35 years I've tryed Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers, and others. The D'Addarios sound the same from the day you put them on to the day you take them off (when they won't stay in tune any longer).

On my archtops I use LaBella nylon wound 14's. But that's another story all together.

Archived