Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Basshole

For all you guitar players, Favorite bass amp?

SWR Redhead. When I was working in a music store and somebody wanted to check out a bass guitar, I'd plug them into the Redhead. That amp made everything sound great.

I always will love the sound of thundering Ampeg SVT stacks!

Most bass players I've been in bands with played Ampeg SVT's and I just love that tone.

I've heard some good Peavey & Hartke too, but never liked the GK stuff, it always sounded weak and thin to me.

Then again, it could have been the guy's settings.

Ampeg SVTAV Anniversary Bass Amplifier. Has to be in blue, which I do not think they make anymore. My old bass player had one. Played a Frankenstein 70s P-bass with flat wounds through it using a 1x15 cab. Talk about warm & rich bass. Volume wise this sucker could keep up with an drummer.

I just have to add that I'm kind of biased.

I'm stuck on the notion that bass is best when the instrument is a Fender (my fav is the Fender Jazz, although the PJ is nice) and the bass amplification should be Ampeg.

I know there is lots of other great stuff, but it's like flash association that's drilled in my subconscious.

Bass = Fender & Ampeg

Guitar = Gibson and Marshall

My band's bass player has an old Acoustic 230 though an Ampeg 4X10. -I the head was originally a guitar amp. I'm not sure though. He gets a good tone from it though.

I play bass as well as guitar and I do not own a bass amp but I use this for both a backup guitar amp and a bass amp... It would shock you how well it sounds with a bass run through it...

Roland JC 77

rolandjazzchorusamp77.jpg

I started on Bass at 16, still write Bass First when I write (which isn't enough).

SWR 210c is a good one

Can't miss with Galien Kruger, either.

If I were to land a Bass Playing Gig, I'd run a Kruger Head into a 4x10 Cab and a 15" Sub Woofer.

That's what I'm talking about.

Hartke or Ampeg.

Yeah, Hartke is the stuff, too. Ampeg as well, but it doesn't get me like Hartke or Kruger. And there's nothing like a Bass Player running a Sub Woofer, it gets the floor into it.

I've played a lot of bass through the years.

My current bass rig is the 1000 watt Carvin R1000 with a 4:10T cab. Huge fan of Carvin bass and P.A. gear.

I used an Ampeg SVT Classic for a long time, then sold it for a 70's V-4B. The V-4 with my 8X10 was definately my favorite. Great with guitar too!