Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Angus Young SG Standard

SG dude

Hey guys,

This isnt so much about the guitar, more the pickups. I was just wondering how the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates sounded in an SG? I had to borrow my friends Les Paul last december and he had a pearly gate in the neck position and it sounded great! I thought, im going to put the set into my Burny SG as this needs better pickups, rather than having two SG's with 57's (just to spice it up a bit ya know [biggrin] ) When i used this pickup on his guitar, it had an amazing jazzy tone to it, which i thought would come in useful, so i was just wondering, who's ever used these pickups in their, or anyone elses, SG, and how do you rate them?

Thanks guys [cool]

Ryan.

ps: I just thought it would be easier to call the thread this as this is so far the only SG i know which has had these pickups in it :-$

I'm sorry man, I don't have any experience with those Pearly Gates pups. I say if you liked the sound, go for it. They might sound a little different in your SG than the LP you played, but I bet you can still get a good tone. Worst case scenario, you hate it, and just change the pup back to the old one right? Post some audio on here once you do the swap. [biggrin]

The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the Angus Young SG Standard VOS is specially wound for, and is only available on that model.

It's hotter than the stock S.D. Pearly Gates.

S.D. had a similar model that was exclusive to the Fender Lonestar HSS Strat.

The Angus Young VOS Pearly Gates is even hotter than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QpzeFU1dE

Angus young used a 67 sg with Paf or patent number pickups, Gibson 57 classics are designed to replicate Pafs from the 50's and 60's

Add that up.. But in all honesty, the chances of being able to tell a 57 classic, a pearly gates a SD antique and a Genuine Paf from eachother..... not very likely

The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the Angus Young SG Standard VOS is specially wound for' date=' and is only available on that model.

It's hotter than the stock S.D. Pearly Gates.

S.D. had a similar model that was exclusive to the Fender Lonestar HSS Strat.

The Angus Young VOS Pearly Gates is even hotter than that.

[/quote']

Absolutely correct in that the PG in the Angus model is wound hotter and only available in that model.

I have both the Angus Standard SG from 2000 and the Custom VOS (2009) SG. Comparing the Angus Signature pickup to the PG pickup, I would say that the PG is slightly hotter and warmer. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling anyway. I haven't measured the output of each pickup to be sure.

Archived