Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Bridge for melody maker reissue?

jhannan

I recently just purchased a gibson melody maker reissue. I am pleased with everything except the lack of intonation for the bridge. Does anyone know a good replacement bridge/tailpiece that can be used without drilling new holes for post spacings? The MM's posts seem bigger then the 3 1/4' norm on stew mac.

Back in the seventies there was a bridge called a Leo Quan Bad ***. It was a direct replacement for any bridge/tailpiece that was mounted to the big posts. I put one on my '64 Firebird III for this same reason, and loved it. I'm sure they're available somewhere, or someone is making a replica.

I purchased a pigtail wraparound off the bay for mine. I also ordered a roller bridge to scavenge the roller saddles from and install on the wrap around for a bigsby. Needless to say I won't actually be using the wraparound feature but it will still fit the MM spacing and threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Back in the seventies there was a bridge called a Leo Quan Bad ***. It was a direct replacement for any bridge/tailpiece that was mounted to the big posts. I put one on my '64 Firebird III for this same reason' date=' and loved it. I'm sure they're available somewhere, or someone is making a replica.[/quote']

I tried one of those Leo Quan bridge/tailpiece combos on a Sears guitar (my first) and it worked out pretty good. A few years later, I got a Gibson Challenger which had that bridge as stock equipment. However on the Challenger, the string spacing was considerably wider.

I tried one of those Leo Quan bridge/tailpiece combos on a Sears guitar (my first) and it worked out pretty good. A few years later' date=' I got a Gibson Challenger which had that bridge as stock equipment. However on the Challenger, the string spacing was considerably wider.[/quote']

They came without grooves in the saddles. You grooved them to fit your specific spacing. In the case of a retrofit, you just use the old bridge as the guide (and adjust as needed).

Archived