Gibson Brands Forums

What I Should Have Done In The First Place - PHOTOS ADDED

Buc McMaster

The regulars here know I have recently had some work done on my SJ200 in an effort to improve it's playability. I was very pleased with the results of the fretboard planing job - the action came down nicely without any ill effects otherwise. But still, the real problem remained: an arthritic right hand battling a 25.5" scale length. I bought the guitar new in '06 and it has been my pleasure to play one of Gibson's finest creations. Over the course of the last two years however, it has been increasingly uncomfortable to play as my hand slowly decends into old age. Needless to say this has been disheartening to varying degrees and given me concern for my guitar playing future. Playing guitar should not be a painful experience.......we humans tend to learn what hurts and avoid it. But hey, I've been banging on a 6-string since 1972 and I don't want to stop now.........

A trip to Fuller's last weekend for some strings was the beginning of the end. I took a stroll through the acoustic room just to say hello to a friend and spied something new among the lefthanded selection.........let me hold that one there for a minute, said I. A 2008 CJ-165 Rosewood....new.....hmmm. Very lightweight, unlike my SJ200 field artillery piece. I have always visually poured over any instrument before striking the strings.......just something I do. Small jumbo body, very nicely grained sitka top, exceptional cut of rosewood on the back, three piece mahogany neck on the slim side. Big tall saddle behind a great neck set, plenty of adjustment room on this one. Hmmm. I took a seat on a stool, saddled it up on my lap and played it for a bit. Obviously my ears have become atuned to the big, booming sound of my 200, so my first impression was wow, where's all the sound? But this was certainly an apples-to-oranges thing: a CJ-165 is not an SJ200.......never was and never will be. Good balanced tone across the strings, just not as much of it and of a different character. Not near as much boom but a lot of clarity and balance. But wow is this son of a gun easy to play! Short scale! Wow! With the action at a "factory high" setup it played so easily, seemed so smooth and fast......wow. Run away! Run away!

Yes, I could put down the guitar and run away, but I couldn't put it away. I played my SJ200 and was still in awe of it's tone and power, but it did still cause me pain. Damn the pain! It's a Gibson SJ200 Western Classic! But still......... So I fought the good fight in my head as we all do when it comes to our guitars. I was reminded of Jinder's battle in considering letting go of his Hummingbird for something more comfortable. I was reminded of the money I just dropped on the 200. Still I could not put off the little CJ, how nice it felt in the hands and, most of all, how my hand was so much more relaxed and comfortable on the little mahogany neck. Rats. Further thought and investigation is required.........

So, to quell my fever, I took a half day off work and ventured back to Fuller's on Tuesday. I sat with the little CJ for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. My ears acclaimated to the small sound of the little jumbo slowly. Round and warm, not too fat, very clear. Very, very comfortable to play! And fun! It seemed to be a very "quick" little guitar in my hands. Poured over it stem to stern, looking for any finish flaws, file marks, dings and dents......nothing. Flawless. They even laid the parrallelogram inlays in the proper orientation for a lefthanded neck! Wow. Okay, let's talk turkey here........

In the end, I surrendered the SJ200 and the Fender Sonoran I bought recently and walked out with the little CJ in tow. Pulling the trigger on such a deal is always fraught with internal tensions.......giving up an old friend, is it a good deal, etc. I can honestly say I have experienced no buyer's remorse. The deal was done and I am very, very happy to have a brand new friend that allows me to play guitar without pain once more! The wife said she "really liked that big old monster" 200, but the CJ is "beautiful" and "cute". Well, cute I can live without, but it is beautiful and I am very happy with the outcome of my decision!

CJ165-1.jpgCJ165-2.jpg

A trip to Fuller's last weekend for some strings was the beginning of the end.

I have the feeling that If I ever made it to Fuller's, it WOULD be the end for me!

Congratulations on the new guitar! (Playing with pain is not really playing, is it?)

I have a Maple CJ-165 .....I LOVE mine....no it isn't a cannon ..it won't rattle your fillings, but it is a sweet balanced guitar that is very versatile. It has great clarity for finger picking...it is a finger pickers dream, but still strums very nicely and a flat pick will really bring out TONE!

I am also battling right arm/hand pain and have sold off a large Dred - 92 Martin D-16H (that was a great great sounding guitar and had a lot of sentimental value to me.) for a smaller guitar to accommodate my physical limitations. There is just no getting around it.....playing any guitar is better than playing a large guitar and being in pain or worse yet hurting yourself to the point you can't play at all.

I don't know if your new baby has a pick up....but either way ....get it so you can plug in. Just a little bit of amplification will help you so you don't have to pick so hard. Much easier for practice sessions or playing with friends. You don't need to crank it up, but just to bring you volume to normal level while you pick lightly to save your self pain. I play plugged in 70%-80% of the time ... just to help out my hand.

And our favorite topic ....ToneRite ....My CJ really benefited from a couple ToneRite sessions. Bringing out a little better bass response was the most obvious change. It also brought out additional volume. If you have a TR I would suggest this is a guitar that will make your TR purchase worthwhile!

Congrats and welcome to the CJ club ....while it is sad you lost a good friend in your SJ.... I think you will find your CJ to be a healthier relationship!

Buck,

I'm glad to hear that you've found something that will better suit your needs. Too bad the 'big beast' was causing you pain!

I've only been to Fuller's once; walked in with one guitar, walked out with another! Have bought a number from them since.

Fred

Congrats Buc! Welcome to the Small Body Association!

Those CJs are fantastic. I'm sure you'll find it a lot more comfortable than the WC.

As you know, I was struggling with some nasty shoulder pain after years of slinging my SJ200 as my main live guitar, followed by several years of slinging my not-much-smaller Hummingbird. Having parted with the Hummingbird and made a new friend in my Blues King, I'm now completely pain free-it's like someone hit a switch somewhere and turned the ache off. Whether it's the size, depth or scale of the BK that has made the difference I'm not sure, but it's a huge relief, which, along with the fact I really enjoy the tone of the 'king, has made me a happy man!

After all, what's the point in geting beaten up by the guitar you're playing? It's far better to be pickin' and grinnin' than pickin' and wincin'!

I feel guilty to admit that since the BK came into my life a couple of months back, my SJ200 has only been out of the case twice...and I LOVE the thing. It's just a bear to play something that hurts after a while.

We also need pics of this CJ...especially that tall saddle...lol

You gave up the Western Classic AND the Fender for the CJ-165?

Wow.....somebody did well on that deal.

Yes, I did in the long run. If you have bought/sold/traded guitars for many years you understand that nothing this side of a truly vintage piece is worth anything near what it was new. A trade is almost always a losing proposition for the trader. It becomes a matter of deciding if getting the short end of the stick on a particular deal is worth it. In may case the answer is yes. Sure, I took a bit of a bath on the transaction, but how much is playing pain-free worth? Each has to answer that question for themselves when confornted with such a reality........ I am very pleased with my answer.

I adore the SJ-200. It was my dream guitar. But a funny thing happened after I finally bought one: I realized it was not a good guitar for me. And that sucks, but it's the way it is.

I'm glad you've found a new love, Buc. Those CJ-165s are awesome.

you always lose a bit on trades but as u said if your happy thats all that matters. I lost some on a les paul studio and a marshall head when getting my standard, but i havent looked back. enjoy your new guitar

The story of your solution to your playing pain is a great one. Several tough decisions in there - the first was most likely admitting that a change had to made. A thoughtful post that was a very good read.

Congrats on yer new 2008 CJ-165 Rosewood. [biggrin]

<*edit*>

The pics are up now. Wow. She's a beauty. Love the bookmatch on the back!

Good to hear these good news Buc!

I am happy for you, mate!

Have great moments with the new friend (I'm sure you will!!!)

Play a lot and be happy!

I want a 185 rosewood too.......

There is one hanging on the wall in the Gibson shop in Sofia, but the money....

A guitar is just a tool, nothing is more important than your health. Hell if any of my instruments were causing me pain I'd give them up in a second for something that didn't. Perhaps you could have sold your SJ and walked away with some cash in your pocket, but at least with a straight up trade you loose nothing and gain everything. Perhaps it's for the best that you didn't spray it gold!

A guitar is just a tool' date=' nothing is more important than your health. Hell if any of my instruments were causing me pain I'd give them up in a second for something that didn't. [/quote']

Ditto.

Good on ya.

You gave up the Western Classic AND the Fender for the CJ-165?

Wow.....somebody did well on that deal.

Wow no kidding, your SJ was AMAZING!!!!! I'm actually sad to here it because you were one of the guys who seemed to have found the one!!

Archived